IMDB says John Williams to score Pixar's 2015 movie "Inside Out" (Update: Not anymore)

Not Mr. Big

Not sure where else to post this. This is almost certainly a mistake or something but the Pixar film Inside Out is listed in John Williams's upcoming projects. It has to be a rumor but I'd be fascinated to see what John Williams would do with a Pixar film.

That would be awesome! I hope it's not some cruel joke, that would destroy me... It's rare that they have a composer such in advance, unless there's some diegetic music they need before doing the animation.

But if true.... :woop:

That would be awesome! I hope it's not some cruel joke, that would destroy me... It's rare that they have a composer such in advance, unless there's some diegetic music they need before doing the animation.

It is? Don't most animation films secure their composer from the beginning, or is that just something unique to John Powell?

It is? Don't most animation films secure their composer from the beginning, or is that just something unique to John Powell?

Most of them do. John Williams scored Adventures of Tintin a few months after Spielberg finished the mo-cap work (and did pickup sessions in mid 2011 to the finished product). Alan Silvestri was secured for Lilo & Stitch way before the finished product was done, although I think he actually started the recording sessions when the film was 95% completed.

I've tried asking Pete Docter on his Twitter page regarding this, but I don't think he uses it frequently so it will be hard to say if we'll have an answer or not...

Is there any way we can find more about this?

Edit: I created a Twitter account solely for this. Just like when I created a Facebook page just to ask Conrad Pope about TIntin :lol:

The fact is that ANYONE can put names in imdb and whatever.

Many times people are listed there (i mean famous actors etc) in films that they haven't ever heard of.

I have talked with someone and this is usually for publicity and to guide the lights towards that project, gather fundings etc.

I mean eg. a totally unknown director who hasn't made a thing, can put a listing there, with Meryl Streep's name for his next project.

Although i don't think a pixar film would need any such publicity..

Exactly, Pixar doesn't need such publicity, and if the information isn't coming directly from the studio or producers, it goes through a lot of people before being added to the site.

For example will they ask for confirmation, a document or something like it. It's not true that everything gets added randomly, like wikipedia.

Many times people are listed there (i mean famous actors etc) in films that they haven't ever heard of.

I have talked with someone and this is usually for publicity and to guide the lights towards that project, gather fundings etc.

I mean eg. a totally unknown director who hasn't made a thing, can put a listing there, with Meryl Streep's name for his next project.

Exactly.

For example, there are some weird entries for Danny Elfman, where he has had no involvement whatsoever. Basically just some school kids making a film and putting in some BATMAN there. Or an Oingo Boingo song. And then somehow getting imdb to sanction an 'original music by' credit.

IMDB can very useful for charting some of the more obscure entries in a composer's history. There is correct entries about Williams, for example, that you wouldn't find in any other filmography (esp. as far as the early TV stuff is concerned). However, the quality control is often poor. Worse than Wikipedia.

Exactly.

For example, there are some weird entries for Danny Elfman, where he has had no involvement whatsoever. Basically just some school kids making a film and putting in some BATMAN there. Or an Oingo Boingo song. And then somehow getting imdb to sanction an 'original music by' credit.

IMDB can very useful for charting some of the more obscure entries in a composer's history. There is correct entries about Williams, for example, that you wouldn't find in any other filmography (esp. as far as the early TV stuff is concerned). However, the quality control is often poor. Worse than Wikipedia.

But the quality control is very different from a newly added film (as the school-kids-films you mentioned) and a major picture by a major studio. It shouldn't be easy to add John Williams to an upcoming Pixar film without including some evidence. And since there is no active rumour (I can't find anything on Google) there is a slight possibility that this is coming from within the studio.

And it's not unusual to hire the composer of an animation feature early on. Thomas Newman said he "had been working on WALL·E since late 2005".

I doubt it's true, though. There's just something weird about it. Who would add John Williams - of all people - to this film? As a joke or for whatever reason.

Who would add John Williams - of all people - to this film? As a joke or for whatever reason.

People would've said the same about Williams doing a kid's B-movie like SpaceCamp back the in 80s. Actually, when you think about it, he's done a few very obscure, odd-choice films since Star Wars propelled him to super-composerdom. It isn't unheard of.

Having said that, I would add my voice to the chorus of doubts here. Unless it's Spielberg or new Star Wars, I wouldn't accept anything without an official announcement or press release.

- Uni

Unless it's Spielberg or new Star Wars, I wouldn't accept anything without an official announcement or press release.

- Uni

I would not even accept news of him scoring the new Star Wars without an official announcement.

Who would add John Williams - of all people - to this film? As a joke or for whatever reason.

People would've said the same about Williams doing a kid's B-movie like SpaceCamp back the in 80s. Actually, when you think about it, he's done a few very obscure, odd-choice films since Star Wars propelled him to super-composerdom. It isn't unheard of.

I think you misunderstood me; I actually think he would be great for this movie. I'm just saying that if it's not true, who the hell added him, and for what reason? Maybe as a joke, but then I don't get it. It's not like he was added with a bunch of other people - no well-known cast- or crew-members (then it would have been quite clear that someone was making up there own cast'n'crew). He was just added, and there has been no rumour, no article about it beforehand. It's random.

April Fools' in advance.

Ohhh good point. Maybe this is like when Ricard made that blog a few weeks before April Fools Day that said there were rumors of complete prequel releases on the way.

I think you misunderstood me; I actually think he would be great for this movie. I'm just saying that if it's not true, who the hell added him, and for what reason? Maybe as a joke, but then I don't get it. It's not like he was added with a bunch of other people - no well-known cast- or crew-members (then it would have been quite clear that someone was making up there own cast'n'crew). He was just added, and there has been no rumour, no article about it beforehand. It's random.

Ah. I did misunderstooded you. This makes sense—and it's the prime reason the whole thing's hard to swallow.

- Uni

Internet users can't just submit entries onto IMDb, as it's been said before, it is not Wikipedia.

Then it's strange how some school kids could attach those projects to the Elfman filmography, for example. There must be some loopholes that allow such activity.

Incidentally, I have a profile on IMDB myself, but I haven't added any of the entries there. I don't know who has. They are correct, though.

Yeah, but the control on small short films are almost non-existant. The control is huge on the bigger productions.
Anybody with an IMDB profile can add to the site. Usually it takes them 10-14 days to check. If you are a producer or someone involved you can add proof that will speed the process along. But it's not as easy to get through as people seem to believe.

IMDb does post rumors for its cast listings, but it will always say 'rumor' in parentheses. I think you need to have a Pro account to do many things involving added information.

Yeah, and if there had been rumors about Williams being involved before it would have been less suspicious.

Pro-accounts are for people who wants information about people in the industry and movies in very early pre-production. Everything involving editing or adding information is pretty much the same - except you have a bit more credibility at the people proof checking.

Under the control of Pixar, I would love for this to happen.

Maybe the subject matter could result in a more inspired effort than his last animated score.