Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary OST (Digital only release)

Sharkissimo

Maybe they finally fixed the editing error in Journey To The Island?

The segue between Dinosaurs and the march bit?

Well, the best thing about these new tracks is that they flesh out the "Danger Theme" aka "Carnivore Motif", in the T-Rex Chase and Hungry Raptor cues. This is a major theme from the film and the OST presentation omitted these 2 cues that are important for that theme's development, showcasing its most oppressive and sinister side.

As has been discussed in this thread yes, the beginning and end were replaced by tracked music.

Cmon guys, quit kidding yourselves, we all know the most important unreleased theme in the score is the "lullaby theme" in Stalling Around ;)

It would have been nice if it had presented ALL the music but we definitely should be thankful of these few minutes of previously unreleased material. Not only that but the OST being properly re-mastered!

Like most of you and Jason in general, I hope this gets a physical release in the future.

Yes, there have been youtube videos of it before.

The problem is that Spielberg drastically re-edited Ellie's encounter with the Raptor in the power shed (which was what the opening of Hungry Raptor was written to underscore), so it doesn't REALLY fit. It's likely that the re-edit is what caused the dropping of the original music and its replacement by tracked music. Maybe JW wasn't available to re-score it.

The unused ending of the cue still fits where it was intended (the other raptor attacking Muldoon), but jeez, Williams was a bit off the mark on that one. The quieter tracked music used in the film is much more appropriate.

We're actually also really lucky that he didn't microedit these new cues, AND that the original soundtrack CD didn't feature microedits at all either. And there are no alternates! That leaves the last 3 cues the ONLY things we need, apart from clean openings and endings. WIth a lot of other scores, we are missing a bunch of cues, and a bunch of sections of various other cues as well.

EDIT: Wait, wasn't there 2 different endings to "The Entrance Of Mr. Hammond"? I know the sheet music ending is different than the film ending, but didn't a recording of the original ending show up in the documentary?

The film version just cuts out early - the documentary includes the full ending, which matches the sheet music. :)

Regarding microedits, I hate to say it, but there were technically one or two of 'em. But I think they were just moments of silence that got shortened for the sake of the listening experience. So they barely even count. :P

Thank you Data! You're absolutely right, I remember now.

You know, its pretty amazing that BOTH Jurassic Park scores have NO alternates what-soever. Otherwise unheard of in a big Williams action score!

True, that...I often forget just how remarkable that is. Especially when you compare these scores to, say, POA. Although come to think of it, it seems like Williams' scores for Spielberg films generally don't have that many alternates.

Hmmm you know, you're right! Minority Report and War of the Worlds are low on alternates too (at least until the finale of WOTW which has the most alternate versions of one cue of Williams entire career!)

Too bad they didn't delete the redundant material, give us the rest of the missing music, arrange it chronologically, and release it as a physical CD.

But beggars can't be choosers... I'll gladly take it. ;)

PS - I was privately hoping the 20th anniversary (where does time go?!) would see something like this... I was right! :D

Thanks, Trent. Was about to ask about a link to report to! :)

By the way... I took a leap and e-mailed Roger from Intrada about Jurassic Park. He had this to say:

Anything is possible these days, but we're not working on it at the immediate moment.

So, there we have it. No forthcoming CD release from Intrada at least. :( Not that I'm too surprised, but I was hoping otherwise.

By the way... I took a leak and e-mailed Roger from Intrada about Jurassic Park.

Took a leak?

If they release this as a CD, I'd most certainly buy it, especially given we're now only 2:40 short of the whole score! That IS a shocker! I hope they plan on doing the same with TLW. I'm just as surprised that Williams himself had direct involvement in choosing the new material! Truth is, I don't hear any percievable difference between my copy of the CD and the iTunes release quality-wise, so I'm sticking with my CD when I do an edit.

I'll try to support the iTunes release in the near future, though, especially given that money speaks with the record companies.

It's a brilliant cue, love the quiet rendition of the island theme

Exactly, and the harmonics are so refreshing!

Btw Mining for Amber and Bones is there also under a different track title, am I right?

Erik Woods says this about the new remastering, does anybody else feel the same way?

I'm not a fan of the remastering of this 20th anniversary release. I've listened to both the original album and this newly expanded album and while the 20th anniversary set is much "louder" I also find that the dynamics are more compressed, especially in the action tracks... if that makes any sense? The action tracks all seem to be all all leveled off robbing the music of its natural dynamic range.
For instance, the big 15 second action burst in "Eye to Eye." Right at the end - the orchestral hit at 5:45. On the original release that's the loudest part of the track but on the 20th anniversary its as loud as the 14 seconds that proceeded it. Even the impact of the finale from "T-Rex Rescue & Finale" - those last 15 seconds of the cue - seemed to loose a little bit of its oomph!
Anyway, this all could be just the way I hear things and I'm sure no one else will notice these things but I think will stick with the original release. With that being said, I'm super happy to have those bonus cues and will tack them onto the end of the original album in iTunes.
I'm getting off my soapbox now... runs in fear!
-Erik-

For those curious it seems to be available in Canada so hopefully that means other countries are coming.

Does it have glitches in "Jurassic Park Gate" and "Remembering Petticoat Lane" there as well?

I was visiting FSM last night when I saw a member posting that iTunes had a release with 4 additional tracks.

Given the mindset over there I figured he was full of shit and was playing a joke. When I went to iTunes and typed in Jurassic Park only the original album came up. Then later on in the evening I found out it wasn't a hoax.

And like Jason, I immediately did a search for TLW ;)

I'm grateful for this, it has the two missing cues I most wanted, T-Rex chase and the mosquito cue.

This is a WONDERFUL surprise and completely unexpected. It's nice to know that JW was involved in this. JP is on so many people's holy grail list so a lot of score fans are going to be happy today.

It's great to hear the carnivore motif fleshed out more. It's one of my all time favourite 'villian' themes.

HAPPY DAYS and roll on TLW!

An alternate mostly-chronological playlist version (no editing required!)

01 Opening Titles (0:33)

03 Incident at Isla Nublar (5:20)
04 Journey to the Island (8:51)
18 Stalling Around (2:32)
06 Hatching Baby Raptor (3:21)
17 The History Lesson (2:28)
13 Jurassic Park Gate (2:04)
08 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (4:16)
09 Dennis Steals the Embryo (4:56)
19 The Coming Storm (3:58)
10 A Tree for My Bed (2:12)
12 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:48)
14 Eye to Eye (6:32)
11 High-wire Stunts (4:08)
20 Hungry Raptor (2:05)
05 The Raptor Attack (2:49)
15 T-Rex Rescue & Finale (7:40)
07 Welcome to Jurassic Park (7:55)
02 Theme from Jurassic Park (3:27) is a theme track that mostly duplicates a cue inside OST track 4, you can place it where you like
16 End Credits (3:25) is a duplicate of the end of Track 7 and is not needed

Using this track list, where would "Las Gaviotas" go?

What a treat and surprise! I just watched this on bluray the other night in prep for the 3d release (excited!!), and now a re-released soundtrack with 11 extra minutes! Awesome! Not every day we get something like this from a true JW classic. And I second what Uni said, what a shock, I wasn't expecting this at all. I think the brachiosaurus scene is one of my all time favorite scenes, and I can't wait to see (and hear!) this on the big screen again! :)

This is cool news. Or would be, if only they wouldn't ban me from buying it. And not just because of the US only thing, but because I'd have to buy Windows or an Apple computer to access the store. Imagine if Amazon stopped their website and instead required you to install an application on your computer to buy books from them.

iTunes is evil. Give me a physical CD, or at the very least a DRM free download (preferrably lossless) in a standard web based store.

Gotta wonder who decided to add bonus tracks, rather than just reissuing the album. But it's really nice to see that JW personally added the cues, and seems to have got it right. Clearly an official Intrada/LLL release wouldn't have been screwed up as much as I'd feared.

As for the missing stuff, I had to look up The Trouble with Dennis to remember what it sounded like. I remember the brassy ending but the rest of the cue was a little unremarkable.

This was one hell of a thing to wake up to :)

Just want to confirm that anybody here who has recently bought this from iTunes has the same issues I do?

In "Jurassic Park Gate", the audio disappears completely from 1:50-1:54.

In "Remembering Petticoat Lane", the audio disappears completely from 2:38-2:42

Anyone else hearing this?

Scallenger reported the same thing back on page 2.

There's a glitch on both "Jurassic Park Gate" and "Remembering Petticoat Lane". Any way they could update it with fixed versions?

Those final fantasy fans have noticed it as well.

I know, but I was asking anybody who bought it today, in case Apple had fixed the version in their store