Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary OST (Digital only release)

Sharkissimo

This is cool news. Or would be, if only they wouldn't ban me from buying it. And not just because of the US only thing, but because I'd have to buy Windows or an Apple computer to access the store. Imagine if Amazon stopped their website and instead required you to install an application on your computer to buy books from them.

iTunes is evil. Give me a physical CD, or at the very least a DRM free download (preferrably lossless) in a standard web based store.

To be fair, the iTunes store doesn't use DRM anymore - not that I like the store.

I am also tremendously grateful to have this new stuff (uncut "T-Rex Chase" and "Hungry Raptor"? Hell yeah!), but that's the biggest headscratcher for me: Not only are Intrada and Universal are working together, but they've been working on special titles in honor of Universal's anniversary, and Jurassic Park is one of their major classic blockbusters, celebrating its own anniversary. It seems like a no-brainer to be a full-blown comprehensive release from Intrada, and yet it's getting a digital release in this form with minimal fanfare (as far as I can tell). It makes even less sense that La-La Land has been releasing such titles with no problems (in the case of 1941, from Universal no less!). Is Williams somehow more "protective" of that early '90s period (hence Hook)? Is there a CD release forthcoming, and Williams wanted a chance to take a stab at the unreleased material in his own way for the mainstream re-release?

I don't get it.

You have to keep in mind that JP is a HUGE studio property and everything related to it in terms of consumer products is handled in a way that go beyond the niches. Also, anything that involves Spielberg and his own movies has further levels of approvals and so on.

This. Also, I suspect the suits at Universal now see iTunes/Amazon as more profitable than physical CDs, and for whatever reason the niche labels like La La Land can't yet cater to that. We're a board of soundtrack collectors who obsess over sound quality. It's easy to forget how few of us there are in comparison to general consumers. Remember: instant gratification. People are still trying to download music illegally, or they look for songs on YouTube or services like Spotify. A one click, instant download is perhaps the only avenue most record companies have at this point.

All true. I guess I was just perplexed with this situation vs. other Universal scores that ARE getting deluxe releases by Intrada and La-La Land. If it's a matter of profitability, then why are these other scores not being treated similarly? My best guess would be that the niche those releases appeal more specifically to are also those that would pay for a physical release moreso than the average joe who might pick up JP. I won't rule out a physical release, though, and just because the obvious choice of Intrada isn't releasing it, that doesn't mean there's anything in Doug's response that says LLL might not have gotten it.

Either way, though, this is way better than any of us was expecting to have 24+ hours ago. It's really awesome to have this material.

Couldn't you just re-download the files from iTunes to see if the defects are still there?

I so wish one could, but all the tracks are still album-only, and I don't want to spend $10 twice. I suppose substituting those two tracks for their original 1993 counterparts isn't the worst compromise, but having those two remastered and intact would be just dandy.

So far attempts at re-downloading (which you can do for free, you don't have to pay again) have resulted in the same glitchy tracks, but Apple has multiple servers across the country so who knows if the fixes would get pushed out gradually, etc. Figured it wouldn't hurt to see other's experiences.

This is a huge problem, inexcusable on Apple's part. Imagine if this happened with the new pop star du jour album?

I would agree with Erik on the remastering. The power in the sounds in the old cd is amazing. I DO like a couple aspect though, I think the synthesizers are easier to hear now which is kind of cool. It's also great for driving in the car. For when at home, I'll still use the CD file.

"Stalling Around" and "The Coming Storm" (aka T-Rex Chase) are enough for me! Playing them over and over and over...

I must say I was completely caught by surprise with this! Here I am poking around and all of a sudden an expanded/remastered official release of Jurassic Park is out there! I mean, this doesn't happen every day.

Was this announced before? I must have been in another planet...

Sorry, how did we miss this?? Or have I been sleeping under a rock?!?!

http://musicconnection.com/remastered-jurassic-park-soundtrack-includes-4-unreleased-john-williams-tracks/

Universal Music Enterprises is pleased to announce the digital release of the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of Jurassic Park, which includes legendary composer John Williams’ newly remastered music from the film, as well as four bonus tracks.

The four bonus tracks featured on the remastered Jurassic Park album were chosen by Williams in conjunction with his music editor, Ramiro Belgardt. Williams and Belgradt went back through all of the master tapes of the film to spot cues that were not released on the original album. These tracks have never before been commercially released.

Tracklisting:

1. Opening Titles

2. Theme From Jurassic Park

3. Incident At Isla Nublar

4. Journey To The Island

5. The Raptor Attack

6. Hatching Baby Raptor

7. Welcome To Jurassic Park

8. My Friend, The Brachiosaurus

9. Dennis Steals The Embryo

10. A Tree For My Bed

11. High-Wire Stunts

12. Remembering Petticoat Lane

13. Jurassic Park Gate

14. Eye To Eye

15. T-Rex Rescue & Finale

16. End Credits

17. The History Lesson

18. Stalling Around

19. The Coming Storm

20. Hungry Raptor

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/jurassic-park-20th-anniversary/id621507165

History Lesson has the music when Grant is being pestered by Timmy outside the Visitor Centre, and the music when Hammond visits Grant/Ellie in their caravan. Stalling Around is Mr. DNA sequence. The Coming Storm is what you'd expect, with the amber zoom-in cue music tagged at the end. Hungry Raptor is the chase through the power facility and Muldoon's death. And the T-Rex chase music is on there too in Coming Storm! Hallelujah!

Apparently, crumbs, you've been living under a rock since you didn't notice that John Williams is now TABOO to discuss in the General Discussion. That's why we have a JOHN WILLIAMS subforum.

Yes, I had the same problem. I always had General Discussion bookmarked and never knew there wasa JW subforum and missed The Fury release day

The t-Rex chase is in there I believe since whatever's not released isn't really important

I'll climb out from under that rock now. :yes:

I actually never saw that subforum.... since when did that exist? I have General Discussion bookmarked!!

Interesting. If those "sudden releases" catches on... :)

I haven't felt exhilarated like this since the '08 Indy release and the '02 E.T. re-release. Okay, none are complete, but what the heck... still cherish them anyway!

Maybe we'll wake up tomorrow and the complete SW prequels will be on itunes

It's entirely possible. What a strange time we live in. In the last year itself, many of the Holy Grail Williams scores that were thought to be lost forever have come to light. Maybe the prequels are on their way!

Hungry Raptor is an incredibly interesting cue. That frenzied opening completely caught be off guard. I've never heard the carnivore motif sounding like that before. The moment at 0:37 with the motif over thunderous percussion is awesome. The opening and closing bursts of action in this cue is really interesting historically - I can't think of any other action cue from this period of his career sounding so brutal and raw. I also love the hints of the High Wire Stunts motif in this cue also. Really great!

In complete contrast History Lession is a really lovely cue. The island theme sounds so cute and sweet on those flutes and woodwinds. I really like his non-thematic flute writing here as well.

Stalling Around is nice to have for completeness sake but I probably wont be including it in my personal edit.

The T-Rex Chase has been a holy grail for so many people for so long its really great to finally have it without fx. I'm hearing so many new things here that were previously buried behind sound fx.

BTW...I might be hearing connections that don't exist but are the few notes on woodwinds at 1:00 in The Coming Storm the same as the flute theme at 1:03 in The History Lession? Does anyone know what the sync point is for that moment in The Coming Storm is? If it involves the the children I might be right otherwise it is probably just a coincidence.

Some of my favourite writing is in The Lost World, especially these few bars:

Yeah, I always wondered if that was a nod to the opening of Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia Overture. We know it's one of Spielberg's favourite movies.

Some of my favourite writing is in The Lost World, especially these few bars:

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F85293834"></iframe>

Yeah, I always wondered if that was a nod to the opening of Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia Overture. We know it's one of Spielberg's favourite movies.

Ditto.

I haven't felt exhilarated like this since the '08 Indy release and the '02 E.T. re-release.

No love for the expanded 1941 and Hook?

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

What? It's only 11 minutes and rather inconsequential additions at that. Individual track purchase options would have been nice, because there's no way I'm rebuying a score I've already bought two copies of over the years (cassette and CD).

No surprise to anyone that I'm more than satisfied with the existing release

Same. JP already being one of the more comprehensive ost releases in the Williams catalogue, spoiled only by its bewildering chronology issues.

Lee - who missed this till today with it not being posted in GD.

Just saw this on FSM, any thoughts?

BTW, one tidbit about the extra tracks: they sound very different to the OST tracks. I´m really concerned about this one as it shows that the OST tracks were treated quite extensively to artificial reverb (or were simply mixed differently). And it´s very irritating to listen to something that seems to be coming from another recording right after the OST track 'End Credits' stopped.

well:

Supposedly the soundtrack has been remastered - this is true, Patricia Sullivan indeed remastered it. Beside the obvious and nowadays common brickwall limiting she also reduced dynamics of this score... which turned out to be a good thing after all (I did not expect a sonic improvement but I was proven wrong). Compressing dynamics has helped the overall cohesiveness of the score. She also used some slight equalizing to tone down the aggressive treble of the original and added a bit deep bass. All of this helps to 'warm up' the score, to induce some life into something that formerly was a tad brittle. All in all, this lady did an incredible job. BUT: there are some problems with the new release. The additional pieces sound completely different to the rest; one reason is a different equalization, the other reason is completely absent reverberation! Yes, for the OST Shawn Murphy augmented the sound with loads of artifcial reverb. The new tracks sound extremely dry and dull as a result. But there´s more... the new tracks have been mixed differently... which is why I now understand why they have been placed at the end of the score: the obvious differences would completely destroy the listening experience!

No link because of copyrighted material.

BTW...I might be hearing connections that don't exist but are the few notes on woodwinds at 1:00 in The Coming Storm the same as the flute theme at 1:03 in The History Lession? Does anyone know what the sync point is for that moment in The Coming Storm is? If it involves the the children I might be right otherwise it is probably just a coincidence.

I'm betting coincidence. The bit you're talking about in "The Coming Storm" is a fairly common Williams device for moments of unease.

Some more observations I've read about this new remaster

Its obvious from my limited dabbling into this that they sourced all of this from the sessions, not the album masters. All edits are rebuilt and because of that, certain differences exist including alternate takes... example...the audio "drop out" at the end of "High Wire Stunts" is because of an alternate performance that we're all use to, this presents us a corrected take.

the whole album is.... well... transferred slower than the original Album which I'm almost certain is the same speed as the film...which could mean the entire transfer is too slow... it doesn't seem to effect pitch though...

The squeaking chairs at the end of "Journey to the Island" disappeared as well

Anybody else noticed these things?

well:

Supposedly the soundtrack has been remastered - this is true, Patricia Sullivan indeed remastered it. Beside the obvious and nowadays common brickwall limiting she also reduced dynamics of this score... which turned out to be a good thing after all (I did not expect a sonic improvement but I was proven wrong). Compressing dynamics has helped the overall cohesiveness of the score. She also used some slight equalizing to tone down the aggressive treble of the original and added a bit deep bass. All of this helps to 'warm up' the score, to induce some life into something that formerly was a tad brittle. All in all, this lady did an incredible job. BUT: there are some problems with the new release. The additional pieces sound completely different to the rest; one reason is a different equalization, the other reason is completely absent reverberation! Yes, for the OST Shawn Murphy augmented the sound with loads of artifcial reverb. The new tracks sound extremely dry and dull as a result. But there´s more... the new tracks have been mixed differently... which is why I now understand why they have been placed at the end of the score: the obvious differences would completely destroy the listening experience!

No link because of copyrighted material.

Long story short. Keep your old OST in case you want to refer to it in the future

I haven't felt exhilarated like this since the '08 Indy release and the '02 E.T. re-release.

No love for the expanded 1941 and Hook?

Sure, but... it's different. Indy trilogy (specially Raiders and Temple), E.T. and JP are the ones I grew up listening to, the ones that made me become a JW fan.

When I read this news I was shocked I couldn't believe we were finally getting some unreleased music. It would be great next year if we get more unreleased music from Temple Of Doom which turns 30 next year.

Well, all this hype made revisit the score (with which, like most of you, I am greatly familiar) ad what struck is how varied and ecltectic this score really is. You get everything from angelic choir (Hatching Baby Raptor), pulsatic syncopathic synth suspense (Dennis Steals the Embyo . and what a wonderful piece of mickey mousing this is within the movie), manic dangerous suspensed(High Wire Stunts), an modernistic and highly impressionist horror cue (Raptor Attack), a very nostalgic and touching lullaby (Remembering Petticoat Lane), a jungly, tribalesque cue (Jurassic Park Gate), an enobling cue for the dinosaus (My Friend, the Brachiosaurus), absolutely exhilarating action cue (T-rex Rescue and Finale), and I could go on and on, but there aren't many scores with so many different colors and moods.

Interesting, I never really thought of it as an eclectic score, but you make some good points

Interesting, I never really thought of it as an eclectic score, but you make some good points

Many people of "our" generation kinda grew up with that score. It made more new JWfans then any score he did in that decade, by far. So you kinds take it's style for granted. If you would hear it for the first time today, you would analyse it more closely.

Many people of "our" generation kinda grew up with that score. It made more new JWfans then any score he did in that decade, by far. So you kinds take it's style for granted. If you would hear it for the first time today, you would analyse it more closely.

I have always thought that one of the great strengths of Jurassic Park is its variety. Despite all these different colours it holds together extremely well and all the styles reside quite effortlessly side by side in the score.

The writing of the score still sounds somehow fresh to me after all these years. I know the score contains many JW staples in style and form and perhaps my highly nostalgic view on the score that introduced me to film music might have something to do with the way I perceive the score but there is some intangible magic in the music that still captures my imagination to this day.

Just bought it from iTunes a few minutes ago and the dropouts are still there. This is why I hate buying stuff from iTunes. If it was a CD, I could take it back to the store or re-rip it if I caused the error. With Apple, they may never fix the problem and there is no way to return your defective merchandise. I love the new tracks but, I'm po'd about the lack of quality control, yet again, from Apple.

While we've got re-examinations of the score going, I must say that I think the single most effective bit of editing for the album experience is "Hatching Baby Raptor." More than any other combined track, I think, it feels like a whole piece, like it's meant to go together. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions made for the album sequencing, but that one I definitely respect.

I think all his choices were good for a musical assembly.

That being said I listen to it that way once a decade and strongly prefer listening to the score split up into chronological order no question

While we've got re-examinations of the score going, I must say that I think the single most effective bit of editing for the album experience is "Hatching Baby Raptor." More than any other combined track, I think, it feels like a whole piece, like it's meant to go together. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions made for the album sequencing, but that one I definitely respect.

I hadn't even realised they were two tracks combined into one, how seamless it is

You mean cues not tracks but yea, Incident At Isla Numblar, Journey To The Island, Hatching Baby Raptor, My Friend The Brachiosaurus, Eye To Eye, and T-Rex Rescue & Finale are all made up of multiple cues combined together. Of course, Journey To The Island and T-Rex Rescue & Finale are consecutive cues - the other 4 tracks all take 2 cues from 2 different parts of the movie and combine them.