Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary OST (Digital only release)

Sharkissimo

I'm trying to assemble the new cues into the rest of the album, not so much in a chronological order, but in the sense they can fit as a listening experience. Anyone have any tips on that?

Mark O mentioned doing that here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23053

Just for clarification, Stalling Around (Cartoon Demonstration), is the title a clever pun reference to Carl Stalling,

similar to what John Williams did with Steiner In the Grass from The Lost World: Jurassic Park as a reference to Max Steiner?

Is the Amazon version glitched?

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that in most cases the AAC files, including the "Mastered for iTunes" files, are delivered to Apple already encoded by the record label, using Apples published specifications. I don't believe Apple actually encodes most of the music or video in their store, and I'm assuming this is the case with Amazon as well. Therefore, any defects or glitches are going to be the fault of the studio or label that delivered them to Apple. If the "glitches" (and I'm not sure what I've read here necessarily means the files are "glitched") were a result of that particular iTunes/AAC encoding, then the Amazon MP3 version may be OK...but obviously if it's a problem with the master, there probably wouldn't be any difference.

I'm trying to assemble the new cues into the rest of the album, not so much in a chronological order, but in the sense they can fit as a listening experience. Anyone have any tips on that?

01 Opening Titles (0:33)

02 Theme from Jurassic Park (3:27)

03 Incident at Isla Nublar (5:20)
17 The History Lesson (2:28)
04 Journey to the Island (8:51)
05 The Raptor Attack (2:49)
06 Hatching Baby Raptor (3:21)
07 Welcome to Jurassic Park (7:55)
18 Stalling Around (2:32)
08 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (4:16)
09 Dennis Steals the Embryo (4:56)
19 The Coming Storm (3:58)
10 A Tree for My Bed (2:12)
11 High-wire Stunts (4:08)
20 Hungry Raptor (2:05)
12 Remembering Petticoat Lane (2:48)
13 Jurassic Park Gate (2:04)
14 Eye to Eye (6:32)
15 T-Rex Rescue & Finale (7:40)
16 End Credits (3:25)

Is anyone else a little surprised that Laurent Bouzereau wasn't anywhere near this release? I mean he participated in, I believe, most if not all of the documentaries for the entire series, including the recent BluRay docs.

Well in this case it's been explicitly explained that Williams personally chose the extra material. Doesn't sound like there was another party trying to persuade him to include more.

Plus this isn't an Indy level screw up. They've omitted a single noticeable cue, which many here don't even care about.

For the studio's sake, I hope they make this available outside the US/Canada. I know the 3D film probably doesn't appear here for ages, but it's really naive of them to think that people across here won't 'obtain' it anyway.

Thanks guys! I did it like this, and quite like the end result...

1. Opening Titles

2. Theme from Jurassic Park

3. Incident at Isla Nublar

4. Journey to the Island

5. The Raptor Attack

6. Hatching Baby Raptor

7. The History Lesson

8. My Friend, the Brachiosaurus

9. Dennys Steals the Embryos

10. A Tree for My Bed

11. High-Wire Stunts

12. Jurassic Park Gate

13. The Coming Storm

14. Remembering Petticoat Lane

15. Hungry Raptor

16. Eye To Eye

17. T-Rex Rescue and Finale

18. Welcome to Jurassic Park

19. (Bonus) Stalling Around

I would bet that since the release date on Amazon is April 9, the iTunes version won't return until then as well. It was probably a mistake to have it on sale for 2 days this week.

1. Opening Title

2. Incident at Isla Nublar

3. Journey to the Island

4. History Lesson

5. Jurassic Park Gate

6. The Coming Storm

7. Hatching Baby Raptor

8. Raptor Attack

9. Dennis Steals the Embryo

10. High Wire Stunts

11. Hungry Raptor

12. A Tree for my Bed

13. My Friend, the Brachiosaurus

14. Remembering Petticoat Lane

15. Eye to Eye

16. TRex Rescue and Finale

17. Welcome to JP

Bonus: My Friend Brachiosaurus concert version, Theme from JP, Stalling Around

Disappointed to read some of the comments about iTunes not having a good track-record of fixing glitched tracks. I did notify them and got credits to spend elsewhere, but it's still pretty stupid.

Cartoon Demonstration and History Lesson sound great! As do Coming Storm and Hungry Raptor/T-Rex Chase.

Exciting news indeed!!! I remember this being mixed across the hall from my office and being invited in to see the reels as they were done. It was awesome to hear the film come together, and it remains one of my favorites.

Is anyone else getting a message that the soundtrack is not available in the US iTunes store? The link on the JWfan.net story produces this error as does searching for it on iTunes.

I hope there was not some sort of limit hit in terms of downloads.

I just saw this album on iTunes while doing my monthly perusal of the synthesized dreck that film music has become and saw this under new releases. Clicked on it, only to get "The item you have requested is not available."

Then I come over here and find out that not only has everyone here managed to download it, but it contains all sorts of unexpected goodness and it's only available on iTunes, so I can't go anywhere else and get it.

Seriously... WTF?

The iTunes version was either taken down because two tracks had glitches, it wasn't supposed to go on sale until April 9th, or both.

It's available for pre-order as mp3 on Amazon right now, and the iTunes AAC version is sure to return at some point.

It's currently unknown if a lossless version will be available in the future, and Universal's press release indicated no physical CD version is planned.

The good news is (at least in my limited experience) Amazon is really helpful when it comes to files with glitches in them. I would be rather surprised if this release shows up again with the errors, and even if it does, I'm guessing Amazon will treat us well.

Ah so it will be virtually the same quality as the iTunes release, then, just a different format.

256kbps AAC is superior to 256kbps MP3 though

Welcome, Pie! I love how this release has brought a good number of new people here plus brought some older members out from the depths of despair! ;)

Thank you very much! Supposedly I've had this account for 6 years now, as I found out when I tried to create an account here to ask about the glitches. I hope to be more active as I've made MIDI sequences of JW scores in the past and I love his work. Love your picture, by the way!

You can delete the ones you have and re-download.

Yeah, I tried to do this and it didn't work out all that well for me. There was no obvious option, even with the iTunes "help" page. In the end, I got iTunes customer support to issue me a second download. The same issue exists with the second download. I reported the glitch to them and they said, "I have submitted this item for investigation. Apple takes the quality of the items offered on the iTunes Store seriously and will investigate the issue with this item, but I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved. Please try again in a few weeks."

Upon a follow-up e-mail in which I said others had the same problem, the rep said, "Thank you for your reply to my follow up. I understand that there is one more song that is not working correctly. I also gather that this is the same issue with other customers that downloaded these tracks. Pierce, I appreciate the additional information. Rest assured that they are all noted and these are a great help to us. But I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved. Please try again in a few weeks if you want to re-download these tracks."

Kind but robotic. I did get 3 "song" credits though.

Ah so it will be virtually the same quality as the iTunes release, then, just a different format.

256kbps AAC is superior to 256kbps MP3 though

Yes, noticeably.

If iTunes fix the glitches, how would this be reflected in the libraries of the ones we've already purchased and downloaded them?

Hmm, well. iTunes gave me a second download to try and fix the issue; after downloading the entire album a second time, the new files were called "Journey to the Island 1" and "Incident as Isla Nublar 1" for example while the old files were still present. In the library, they just take the place of the old files.

I wouldn't mind those robotic responses (they are honest and direct) if they didn't have this crap in the middle:

Apple takes the quality of the items offered on the iTunes Store seriously

No shit, Sherlock.

--

I've never liked that Amazon only has 256k mp3s, and often it's VBR which goes less than that. The cynic in me says they don't display this on the page because they don't want to make it obvious that they're sometimes skimping on size.

Wow.

The customer help rep sent another follow-up e-mail and I responded just to be polite. She then wrote back (just now):

"Thank you for your reply to my follow up again. I'm glad that the album is getting checked and hopefully the songs will be all right when it's re-released. I have reversed the charge for "Jurassic Park - 20th Anniversary". In five to seven business days, a credit of $9.99 should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase. You can use the refund to re-purchase the album as it is possible that you will no longer be able to re-download these songs since they were modified. Please note that your refund should be credited within 5-7 business days from the date it was processed. If there is a delay in your refund and it took longer than the usual, feel free to email us back again. Also, you can contact your credit card company regarding questions about when the credit will be posted to your account. I hope I've been able to fully address your concerns. If you need further assistance, please let me know in your reply. Thank you very much for contacting iTunes Store Support. I hope you have a wonderful day. "

I didn't even ask for a refund! I'm not sure I should respond because I feel like the more I respond to be polite, the more she is contractually obligated to send me e-mails as part of her job description!

Hey, that's pretty awesome! :) I wonder if they normally do that?

I actually had an interesting thought regarding Amazon customer service (or even iTunes). I wonder if we could all just ASK if maybe they can release the entire album, or at the very least, the 4 bonus tracks, in lossless? If there is enough demand for such a format (perhaps all the Bieber and Brittany fans never ask for such things, so it isn't something they normally put out because there is no demand). Or will it just be a waste of time?

Amazon did a similar thing for me a few years back - I bought an mp3 album that had a single glitchy track, so I wrote a polite email to ask about the issue...they couldn't fix it, but they gave me a full refund. Perhaps this is common practice among digital music stores. Seems like a good way to keep every customer you can get, in this age when so many people just download albums illegally.

As far as I've heard this is pretty rare for Apple. But I'm guessing it's at the end of a long trouble-shooting check-list, and the fact that I kept replying made her go down that list at a steady pace.

No CD, no lossless.... this is bullshit. I always thought that technology was supposed to get better... Apparently music is still stuck in the 1980s as far as digital quality goes. It's a shame.

Just read this in the FSM thread:

Jurassic Park is back on sale at iTunes US store.

Audio gaps fixed on "Remembering Petticoat Lane" and "Jurassic Park Gate".

It is available again... however those of us who had already bought it can't download the fixed tracks, this sucks.

I know, I know... haven't posted in ages... life has been complicated, plus they blocked jwfan at my office... what do they expect me to do?? Work???

Anyway, I guess I'll find out if the iTunes mexican store customer service is any good.

No that's just Amazon for everything. They hand out gift cards like hot cakes if you have issues with orders.

i suppose that's so.

I ordered several paperback star wars books. There is a 4 for 3 promotion fr paperback, but somehow, Death troopers wasnt part of it (as far as i know, the only SW paperback that is like that. So i ordered it...and later i asked about it, because it's clearly a mistake labeling the book.

Amazon responded to me that it was not a mistake from their part, the book just wasnt eligible for the promotion, nevertheless they refunded it to me (as if the promotion applied) for the misunderstanding...

it was very nice :)

Just so folks know, there is a CD version of JP coming out within the next few weeks and one that will feature the COMPLETE SCORE, which is much more than the crappy sound mp3 version on iTunes and such is offering. Can't say which soundtrack label it putting it out, but it should be pretty obvious by now.

ST

I was just going to post this quote. It's from that one final fantasy site from a username by the name of scoretooth2. Not a very frequent poster there, so not sure how accurate the above quote may be. I'd take it with an optimistic grain of salt while not holding my breath.

It is available again... however those of us who had already bought it can't download the fixed tracks, this sucks.

The tracks will download, first it'll ask for your password, then say that you can't download from any other computer in 90 days, then an exclamation mark will appear left to the track, then you'll have to try re-download, and then it will. At least from the Mexico store, which I believe you're buying

Just so folks know, there is a CD version of JP coming out within the next few weeks and one that will feature the COMPLETE SCORE, which is much more than the crappy sound mp3 version on iTunes and such is offering. Can't say which soundtrack label it putting it out, but it should be pretty obvious by now.

ST

April fool's joke