BloodBoal

Well alot of the riddles in the dark stuff, sounds very classical to me, I think thats what they might be talking about.

also did anybody else catch the (I think,) Beethoven and Mozart "references" in the score?

To be honest me neither, but it sounds like one of the more famous of their pieces:

Radagast The Brown at 2:39

the beginning notes of:

Azog's motif is similar to the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th if you play it right.

I don't hear those references at all to be honest, and frankly I don't think they exist.

And if there is a reference with the Azog motif, it's likely a coincidence at best, consider that in itself is a permutation of the previously established Mordor Descending Third.

Having said that, I think "Out of the Frying Pan" is one kick-ass cue!

I've barely listened to this score since getting it, which is embarrassing. Out of the Frying Pan sounds good. I would give it 3 stars, but I expect that after listeing to it a bit more it will grow on me, so I gave it 4.

If you play it right?

Yeah as in, instead of playing a certain note as one note, playing it as two?

(I am not musically trained, so I don't know if this is what is called doubling or not)

Basically its the same notes.

And I put "references" not references.

Oh and its 2:39, not 2:30 like I posted earlier.

Although this is veering off the Out of the Frying-Pan discussion Riddles in the Dark doesn't sound particularly Mozart or Beethoven at any point to me. I think it is a great way that Shore teases the listener with those near-quotes and subtle permutations of the History of the Ring, Pity and Menace of Gollum themes throughout.

I love how he threatens the Ring theme at 3:23 onwards.

And the way he makes the theme a character, especially in the very beginning, when the theme sighs, like it's finally breaking free. Or a bit later, when the Ring is overjoyed to have a new bearer, and to possibly find its way out of the cave, and you hear the theme in an almost major moded way.

Although this is veering off the Out of the Frying-Pan discussion Riddles in the Dark doesn't sound particularly Mozart or Beethoven at any point to me.

Talk about misinterpretation!

I never said that track sounded like M or B, I said it sounded "classical" (which is really just a the closest word I can think of to what I am trying to convey) which is not entirely the same thing.

Wasn't Mozart more Romantic then Classical? Really Faleel, you must learn to express yourself better....

It was the other way around with Mozart and Beethoven was a composer on the watershed between Classical and Romantic but I am sure you knew that Stefan. ;)

But I still can't quite hear what Faleel calls "classical" in that particular cue although I have a pretty good idea what he means by it.

I find the Hobbit score to be just as good as the LOTR scores.

In it's broad strokes yes. Though The Hobbit didnt have anything like The Breaking Of The Fellowship. But the next films will certainly give the opportunity to go deeper.

Azog's motif is similar to the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th if you play it right.

That really doesn't mean he was influenced by Beethoven... It means you are an alert listener.

No idea.

It goes around three stars until the start of the happy fanfare (at that point in the score this type of music has managed to tire me a bit). From there to the end four or five.