Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

From what I choked down before turning it off, the new score could have been done by anyone who can paint music my numbers.  Kloser is obviously competent, so if something that will merely function as a passable score is satisfactorily enough for you, then you may enjoy it.  If you were hoping for concert hall levels of complexity, thematic development, and overall orchestral brilliance to join Arnold's original effort, then you'll be sadly left wanting.

I think Arnold would have given us something wonderful for The Patriot. Independence Day alone shows his skill for the big and small moments of patriotic, military scoring.

Not to mention his stuff like this:

I'm actually watching Independence Day now and noticing all the small moments again. I guess it's easy to miss them for the big stuff that blows the roof off, but man his intimate writing for the score is lovely.

Plus I've got to mention the golden 90's style approach to film-making in the scene with the montage of them preparing for the attack and they cut to the Russian forces for a few seconds, and Arnold add a perfect cliche Russian male choir over his main theme at 0:42 haha. Such great stuff.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Not to mention his stuff like this:

Well, looks like it's going to be four Arnold scores for me in the span of a month.  To the store!

The press screening blackout and lack of publicity is definitely strange though. Is it really that hard to screw up an alien attack movie?

6 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

We listened to it so you don't have to.

Thank God. I knew the score would be pure shit. I'm sure my reaction would have been something like this:

9539c2169194479cf75bf94e01ae23c4.jpg

Or Quint smashing the radio with a baseball bat. I can't afford to replace my equipment.

Those sources said there was a lot of tension between Snider and “Independence Day” director Roland Emmerich, which he denies.

“It’s not accurate,” Emmerich told Variety. “Me and Stacey are a lot in sync.” He added that he’s known her for 25 years and considered her a friend.

Emmerich credited Snider with helping him remain calm during a difficult “Independence Day: Resurgence” shoot. The film scrambled to make its summer 2016 release date, requiring crew members to spend the final month of production completing a massive 1,000 visual effects shots.

“We got greenlit a little bit too late,” said Emmerich, adding, “I looked at the schedule and went ‘my god we’re missing two months.”

Snider, Emmerich said, was “my cheerleader,” and kept telling him, “you’re going to make it. You can do this.”

Stacey Snider Will Succeed Jim Gianopulos at Fox Despite Rocky Start

Yep, read between the lines and they can't stand each other's guts.

It all began when Snider wasn't invited to Emmerich's Under 21s pool party at his LA mansion.

3 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Why's that?

Really? Anyone with even a passing interested in media journalism knows that reviews can be bought at IGN. They're in bed with all the big entertainment companies! 

Wouldn't trust the IGN review... but hey, the rest of the reviews seem to indicate the film is exactly what you'd expect it to be: A big, dumb, popcorn-munching blockbuster that makes no sense but has plenty of spectacle.

I'm in.

1 minute ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Conspiracy nut!

Google it, it's common knowledge. Whadda ya know, a layman like me knows more about your industry than you do. 

Variety review - very positive!

Did Fox make a miscalculation in blocking critics from this until late? Might be Emmerich's best rated film in years.

Edit: It's sitting at 55% rotten on RT, but the reputable publications seem to be eating it up. The Guardian hates it, but that must mean it's good.

On 6/20/2016 at 9:25 AM, Shatner's Rug said:

Alright, this is more like it.

I must say I really am liking these stable shots we're seeing, like the long wide shot of the boat along the water with the spacecraft in the background. It's been such an increasing trend in films recently to have these really kinetic camera shots, sometimes to the point where you can't even see what is going on. It's kinda nice to see somebody like Emmerich continuing to frame shots a bit more old school and restrained. He knows how to shoot good ol' eye candy, I'll give him that. 

On 21/06/2016 at 7:24 PM, Lonnegan said:

55% on RT? What a panning! This movie is a failure! 

The first one received 60% or something like that.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

The first one received 60% or something like that.

Karol

It's down to 46%, but read deeper and you'll see the top critics and reputable publications have given it an enthusiastic write-up, while all the film snob no-bodies have thrashed it.

Funnily all the Australian outlets had nothing nice to say about it (no Harbour Bridge shot?), even Murdoch owned rags like news.com.au and the Herald Sun hated it.

Big, dumb, and quite fun. Just like the first one. In fact some parts are a rehash  of the first, with bigger scope and bigger explosions of course. As a disposable movie, it was quite satisfying. 

My biggest gripe is the pacing. Once it starts the pacing is ferocious, with almost no break time in between. Some pause would have been most welcome. Instead it feels like the whole invasion and came and ended within hours in real time. And more than a few times, I wished the camera had lingered on the money shot. The editing feels so urgent that everything is rushed. The first one is a lot better in this regard (as I remember it, haven't seen it in 10 years maybe). 

Originally posted on my Facebook:

Independence Day: Resurgence sucks. A massive disappointment all round. Everyone in the film looked bored aside from Brent Spiner, the script was lame, the ending felt anti-climactic, outdoor scenes all looked like they were shot with a blue screen inside a studio with awkward mismatched lighting (which makes it look really cheap and nasty, not to mention distracting), there's a distinct lack of tension or sense of impending doom that was successfully conveyed in the first film, moments where certain characters die lack any gravitas or sense of poignancy - they just happen, and the direction was limp and flaccid. Nobody involved with this film seemed like they cared. It just exists to fill 20th Century Fox's June schedule.

A few decent moments here and there such as the opening credits in space, the Alien Queen was well animated, but it's not enough to save the film from bad sequel oblivion, where it joins the ranks of esteemed masterpieces like Poltergeist III, Superman IV, and Grease 2. The enthusiasm and the magic of the 1996 classic was completely absent. This tepid sequel is not the majestic companion piece that ID4 deserved. People will try to excuse its shortcomings by calling it "dumb fun like the first one" as if that somehow immunises it from criticism - the difference there is that the first one actually was fun.

What might have saved it? A new and fresh creative team might have helped. One that respects the original film and can execute filmmaking and storytelling in a competent manner. Roland Emmerich used to make films with energy and heart - but IDR is drained of any sense of awe, tension or bombast that characterised his earlier films.

Although ID4 stands alone very well, it always had potential for interesting universe building. IDR attempts that, but by the end I had no characters I liked or any story hook I could run with. It's probably better off they continue this in novel format. Then I can at least imagine a better movie.

I kind of agree with Drax. It's not a bad film. but like Terminator Genisys and Jurassic World it is a wholly redundant one.

The original film managed to build some serious tension in it's first half, and some effective "America FUCK YEAH" in the second. Both are missing in this film.

It's actually funny how one can watch thousands of alien spaceships circling a massive Alien Queen and not actually feel much excitement.

Also, most of the characters are misfires, while that's something that really did work before. Brent Spiner is the best one this time.

It's a solid rental. With a few good scenes and excellent effects. The music is "effective" if completely generic.

And I actually liked Terminator Genisys and Jurassic World a lot. I have a friend/co-worker who absolutely abhors Terminator Genisys because he values T2 so much, and he has trouble understanding why I liked Genisys.

I think how much one values a film and what impact it's made on their life are important in assessing how they will react to a subsequent installment made today. ID4 was perhaps the most influential Hollywood film to come out in my formative years, so any effort to deliver a sequel that's below par will be met with disappointment and rejection from yours truly.

And if T2 had a similar influence on a 10-year-old in 1991, none of the sequels will live up to either their expectations or even T2's actual quality.

It was intermittently delightfully terrible, but mostly just terrible. I'd pay to see a cut of the movie where none of the younger, new characters ever utter a line of their needless and stupid dialogue. Brent Spiner, Goldblum, Judd Hirsch were all fun!

It was a mediocre film and yet I enjoyed it for it's cheesiness.