BREAKING BAD

Jay

Btw, I love the parallels between Walter and Hank. Very different characters who both let their pride get the best of them. While I expected to love Walter, I never though I would think Hank was anything more then an obnoxious loud mouth.

Also, Jonathan Banks as the shows third bad-ass bald white guy totally kicks ass, even if it's a small role.

Mike is a terrific addition to the cast, he became a fan favourite actually. Good that you're starting to see the layers to Hank; who initially seemed to be nothing more than a loud American jock.

Fly

A bottle show, but quite a brilliant one. Basically Walt and Jesse together, with not a lot of actual plot.

But it's great to actually occasionally step away from the overall storylines and just focus on the characters. Season 3, as good as it is hasnt put Walter and Jesse together enough.

Love how this turns from essentially an absurd episode where Walt worries about a fly to one of deep self-reflection.

Pretty damn suspenseful too. I was sure Walt was gonna say the wrong thing after those meds Jesse slipped him, like with his "second cellphone" comment.

Mike is a terrific addition to the cast, he became a fan favourite actually. Good that you're starting to see the layers to Hank; who initially seemed to be nothing more than a loud American jock.

The fat loud moth jock with the thin and pretty wife. A sitcom cliche that extended James Belushi's career and made a star of Kevin James, but bores the shit out of me. I'm glad Hank became more.

Skyler actually, is more interesting in season 3. The way she first tries to leave her husband, gets even by sleeping with Ted, but slowly starts to understand why he did what he did, without...at this point...actually condoning it. And how she starts to use her hold over Walt to make sure Hank gets proper medical treatment.

A lot better then the passive aggressive wife she used to be.

So far the only characters I'm not that fussed about are Walter jr and Marie.

Fly is easily the worst episode of the show for 95% of it, then the scene with Walt and Jesse in the car at the end is freaking awesome

Incidently Rian Johnson, who directed that episode, would go on to direct two great episodes in Season 5 as well as the theatrical movies Looper and Star Wars 8.

It's been a while since I've seen it, and there are so many great ones that come after it.

I just remember thinking not a whole lot happened, until the awesome ending.

I'm well aware that Fly is uniquely cherished by many BB fans, but I wasn't too keen on it. I considered it the single weak episode of the lot, and one of two shaky moments overall (the other one, not an episode but a plot moment, doesn't come till much later on). Maybe a second viewing of the episode might improve my appreciation of it.

I'd call it 'polarising'. A lot of fans absolutely love the episode, one chap I worked with told me it was even in his top 3.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/breaking-bad-fly-the-best-bottle-show-ever

The comments after that article seem quite lively.

Most of my friends thought it was one of the worst.

But again, only "worse" in comparison to other BB episodes, still A+ television all around.

I didn't think the episode was particularly bad or great, just....different. It fits in nicely into the story arc and it's an interesting change of pace and presentation. I like it for what it is and what it accomplishes.

A stupid question maybe. But how is the music of BB regarded?

With the exception of the songs that often play during montage scenes, it's almost completely non-existent end anonymous to me.

But the weird thing is that that doesnt matter in any way, shape or form. I never found myself watching the show thinking, this scene needs better/more dramatic music.

The songs (especially the montage ones) are what work for me. The score work is practically invisible, but still scene setting. Atonal ambience, mainly.

It takes right up until the penultimate episode until the score comes into its own, in one really brilliant closing moment. I had goosebumps.

Cool!

The sound design on the show is first rate btw, especially when it comes to creating suspense. That piercing peeping sound when Q is working in the air traffic control tower. The way it builds suspense in the minute up the Hanks shooting. really brilliant.

Yes! And one of the reasons I loved Fly is that it deals with both Jesse's and especially Walter's guilt. In a roundabout way perhaps, but still.

Season 3 is excellent btw, but I think 2 is a bit stronger overall. The start of season 3 spends a kot of time on characters insisting that they have chosen a new path. And while the writing and acting is superb, we all know that eventually both Walt and Jesse will go back to cooking, and Skyler will slowly be more receptive towards her husband's choices, so it's a little more predictable.

Though I can't see any other way they could have done it.

The songs (especially the montage ones) are what work for me. The score work is practically invisible, but still scene setting. Atonal ambience, mainly.

Stefan, the best stuff is still ahead of you.

It takes right up until the penultimate episode until the score comes into its own, in one really brilliant closing moment. I had goosebumps.

I was thinking the exactly same thing. It is the only moment in the entire series when I was aware of music.

Karol

Not the only moment. I would never listen to the score on its own, but I can't deny its effectiveness.

I remember the score adding to the chills in what may be my favourite scene in the show:

the penultimate episode of season 4, when Walt freaks out about all the money that Skyler already spent as he was trying to escape.

Couldn't tell you one thing about the score to BB. It's effective in the show, but nothing you'd ever want to listen to on it's own.

The best moment is an episode in Season 5 that uses an extended version of the opening titles theme as underscore. It was fucking awesome.

The alternate ending on the DVD is even steamier!

As to the score - yeah, I wouldn't want to listen to it on its own, but it works really well for the series. A lot of it is almost sound design. Certainly not melodic or especially memorable. But the ambiance it provides is perfect for the show.

As to the score - yeah, I wouldn't want to listen to it on its own, but it works really well for the series. A lot of it is almost sound design. Certainly not melodic or especially memorable. But the ambiance it provides is perfect for the show.

Yep.

Finished season 3. Which started out along predictable lines with Walt and Jesse believing they were through with cooking, and a Skyler who was though with Walt.

While all of that was never less then well written and acted, and nesserary for the character's progression, season 3 didnt really kick into gear till the second half, with Walt and Jesse back in the game and Skyler slowly getting involved.

I love the switch from whacked out and maniacal drug lord to the mild mannered and calculated Gus. Who at first seems like a safe bet for Walt, but turns out to be anything but. Mianly because of Walts own unpredictable nature this time.

Jesse's arc for this season is excellent. How he goes from trying to go straight, to forming the belive that he is what he is and attempting to act more ruthless then he is. (trying to shift meth in a rehab)

Also the bond between him and Walt becomes tighter then ever, even though it's still reluctant.

The finale is a masterpiece of character and plot in perfect unison. And as always Breaking Bad is about being given a number of options, and chosing the bad one. Walt probably should have gone to the police, like Jesse said.

I remember everything that happened on the show, just not which episode was x event and which was y event, etc. Yea, that season 3 finale was great!

If you had continued to do your episode by episode recap it wouldn't have been a problem ;)

I don't really even consider the Jesse's girlfriend's son shooting as being a particularly extraordinary coincidence, because it is a small world. People go abroad on holiday thousands of miles away and bump into people they know, to me that's a coincidence. Merry finding the dagger forged for slaying the Witchking, that's a dramatic coincidence. Until Steef mentioned this one I had genuinely never given it a second thought.

I think Steef is clutching at straws, actively trying to find problems in an attempt to demonstrate that BB isn't really any better than the other shows he watches. It's this little meta he's got going on.

The reality is the craft and skill of BB absolutely blows something like GoT away.