BREAKING BAD

Jay

No.

Hmmm...you and Lee are so suspicious of my motives.

I'm years behind on discussion when it comes to the themes of BB. I was wondering what you guys thought.

As a cook, walt is very distant from the effects of his product, and what it causes. Something Jesse is more aware of.

The plane crash seemed like a way to bring it home to him that what he does isnt a victimless crime.

Yea, I liked it too. It didn't bother me that that one episode had a super long flashback all about it.

Has your opinion of Saul changed at all from Season 2 to Season 4?

Why should that flashback bother anyone? Its vital in explaining some of Gus' actions later on. Why he wants to meet with Hector face to face and taunt him for example.

Saul is a great...annoying character. I don't see him any differently then in S2 though. And i dont see why he would need his own show.

It's like doing a Leo Getz origin movie.

Saul is a great supporting character. But I don't think any of us felt his own spinoff was warranted. Oh well, can't help it if AMC wants to milk that cash cow.

What BB character is interesting and potentially multi layered enough to have his own show?

None. The franchise should consist of the 62 perfect episodes and nothing more.

Yeah. I think Hank might be the best candidate enough for a character show of some depth.

But naturally I prefer no spinoffs.

I'd have watched a weekly Hank cop show actually. Honestly!

I still want to do a re-edit someday of BB where it's all from Hank's point of view and

you don't find out Walt is Heisenberg until he does

Saul is a lawyer, but we have plenty of lawyer shows. Saul is funny/dry sarcastic , but we have plenty of funny/dry sarcastic shows. Saul is a funny/dry sarcastic lawyer. Somebody sees $$$ in that shtick.

Marie loves purple

Live Free and Die

After the dust settles there are some loose ends that need to be tied up. I actually didnt think of the camera's.

Walt and Jesse's solution of rigging a truck with a huge magnet is classic BB use of proper science combined with a harebrained scheme.

And ofcourse Walt turn up the power too much!

Curious to see what was behind the picture in the evidence room?

Walt seems to be relishing is his "Heisenberg" character more then ever, menacingly looking over Saul, and doing the Michael and Fredo "I forgive you routine" with Skyler.

Madrigal

Focuses mainly on Mike, as he juggles between his former associates, the DEA and Walt and Jesse wanting to include him in his schemes.

Jonathan Banks' performenace as Mike is a brilliant example of more = less. And this episode has a sort of old fasioned hard boiled detective feel.

Through hikm we get introduced to a skittisch new player, Lydia. And there's a great interogation scene between him and Hank.

Walt has really changed. At the moment he's calmer, more deliberate, and menacing. The scene where he lets Jesse find the faked cigarette is priceless in it's manipulation.

Right now very little of the old Walt is left.

Arron Paul doesnt have a lot to do here, but his breakdown scene as he realized he almost shot Walter without reason...an incorrect assumption, btw...is excellent.

The acting of all the leads in Seasons 5A and 5B is somehow kicked up a notch from the already great acting they had been doing

Me too!

Hazard Pay

Ingenious idea, cooking met in homes that are supposed to be bug bombed.

Is it me or does S5 start out a lot more low key then previous seasons?

Skyler is pretty much shell shocked most of the time, kinda hope that wont last too long.

Nice touch, having Walt and Jr. watch Scarface.

Interesting that Jesse broke up with Andrea. I'm guessing he doesn't want to risk telling her the truth and her rejecting him. Something that actually happened to Walt, even though he refuses to even see that.

Walt's anger over how few money there is left after things are divided is classic for the character.

When working for Gus he was the one who didn't care how much anyone else was earning, while Jesse figured they were being ripped off. Now that he's in business on his own, with no competition, and apparently his life is all in order...or so he thinks, he starts to get ambitious again.

Interesting that Jesse now seems like the more reasonable, level headed person of the two.

Is it me or does S5 start out a lot more low key then previous seasons?

I actually initially struggled with the tonal transition seen particularly in the first two episodes of the final season. Suddenly everything was consumed in darkness and Walt seemed to be completely changed since the events of the previous season. It almost felt wrong, like I was watching something entirely different. I found it jarring and I took to this forum to talk about my reaction with others. Nobody else seemed to think anything of it, apart from Alex, who said he'd noticed it too, although to a lesser extent than myself.

Anyway, by the third episode I'd settled into the new sinister tone just fine and everything was alright again. But those first two I was definitely unsure about.

I think it's partly because right up until that point the story of Walter White, no matter how tense and often dangerous it could be, had still been tinged with wit and adventure. The final season throws all that out in an instant and embraces darkness.

Oh Stefan, what do you think of the flashforward to Walt's 52nd birthday that opened the season?

BTW, in case you forgot, the pilot opened with his 50th birthday, and as far as you've seen into the show, you haven't even gotten to his 51st birthday yet.

Lee. I actually agree about the shift in tone. It's quite unnerving.

It makes sense for the plot and the characters of course. Walt simply isnt the man he used to be. Actually planning a hit, even on a man as dangerous as Gus, and poisoning a child to get Jesse on side.Walt has truly crossed over. Even after Crazy8, Jane etc you could still root for the guy. But right now I'm really struggling.

Jesse is a changed man too, and while he usually wasn't afraid to rile against Walt, now he seems nearly in awe with him.

S4 showed Skyler in defiance against Walt. But here she realizes she is totally in his grip, and there is nothing she can do.

Considering how S4 ended this is all very logical. BB isnt a show that cuts corners on the consequences of previous episodes.

But that doesnt make the shift in tone any less fun. With Walt crossed over, and Jesse mostly sidelined in these early episodes....our "heroes" are missing in action.

Oh Stefan, what do you think of the flashforward to Walt's 52nd birthday that opened the season?

It's interesting. Weird to see walt with hair again.

BTW, in case you forgot, the pilot opened with his 50th birthday, and as far as you've seen into the show, you haven't even gotten to his 51st birthday yet.

If BB started in 2008 or whenever it was, and it's been only 1 year, why did Walts new car have a 2012 date on it?

Actually walt trading in THAT car and going for something black and expensive is just another sign of the changes the character has made. That car was part of the show man!