BREAKING BAD

Jay

Now the show moves into 6th gear. Prepare, and hold on tight.

People had to wait a year for Hank to wipe his backside!

I remember theorising with people for weeks and months about what was going to happen next. It was great!

Agree about the montage.

I think it this had a been a traditional season of 13 episodes instead of 8, those months that are now covered by the montage would have made up the bulk of the additional episodes.

Yes, but if they had from teh start planned it out as 13 eps instead of 8, everything would have been structured differently, plus of course they would have invented some drama to take place during that rise that we currently don't see. Whatever, just speculatin'

Did you like the assassinations of Mike's crew in the various jails? I remember thinking it was pushing the borders of realism, yet I someone still loved it all the same

I remember theorising with people for weeks and months about what was going to happen next. It was great!

Hank wipes his ass, sits with the family, has a long long stare at Walt, excuses himself...goes to his car, grabs his gun, goes back to the yard...starts shooting!

I remember thinking, the problem for Hank is that if he tells the DEA his brother-in-law is Heisenberg, he will likely be in trouble himself for it having been right under his nose the whole time.

Yea, the 52nd birthday flashforward, train heist, prison hit, mike's death, and storage unit full of cash are the highlights I remember most right now from Season 5A.

Oh, Stefan! What do you think of Saul's two bodyguards, Huell and... the other guy?

I remember thinking, the problem for Hank is that if he tells the DEA his brother-in-law is Heisenberg, he will likely be in trouble himself for it having been right under his nose the whole time.

Yes. His boss was fired for not seeing Fring was a crook, and having him over to his house etc.

Oh, Stefan! What do you think of Saul's two bodyguards, Huell and... the other guy?

the ginger one?

Pretty cool

Oh yea, I forgot Fring was friends with some DEA guys! Didn't he visit the DEA once and find out that Walt was related to Hank while he was there?

Hank wipes his ass, sits with the family, has a long long stare at Walt, excuses himself...goes to his car, grabs his gun, goes back to the yard...starts shooting!

But before you watch it, what do you think will happen next?

I remember worrying that they would do that annoyingly typical thing where they'd just skip the immediate aftermath of the toilet break and fast forward to the investigation already well under way or something like that. But I needed to see Hank walk out of that toilet!

I now have the benefit of knowing what happens, obviously.

I hope the scene continues and has Hank really looking at Walt, reevaluating every moment they ever spend together.

After that I truly dont know. No idea how this all ties into the scene at his 52nd birthday etc.

I think you should wait a week or a few days before you start the next half. Just so you get some idea of the kind of suspense we were left in, and how much our imaginations were let to go wild.

Well I wont watch tonight. and I'm busy tomorrow. so...

I think too much emphasis has been placed on that birthday here, frankly. Don't build yourself up to it.

Well to me it's just a device to show the passage of time. 2 years from the start of the show.

Oh and I caught the "killed Bin Laden reference"

What was everyone's favorite season ending cliffhanger?

Season 2 - Skyler realizes Walt has been lying and leaves him; Walt inadvertently caused the plane crash we've been flashforwarding to all season long

Season 3 - Mike plans to kill Walt and Jesse, but Jesse shoots Gale first

Season 4 - Walt kills Gus then is revealed to be the one that poisoned Brock

Season 5A - Walt has basically disposed of all the bad guys; Hank realizes Walt is Heisenberg

Oh yea, I forgot Fring was friends with some DEA guys! Didn't he visit the DEA once and find out that Walt was related to Hank while he was there?

I think he was there on a fundraising visit and saw the "get well" jar or something.

I'm more worried with what the hell I'll watch after this?

I mean anything I follow this up with is going to seem shallow and phony and obvious.

True Detective held up very favourably for me. I wouldn't like to say one was 'better' than the other.

I did not expect greatness again so soon.

True Detective held up very favourably for me. I wouldn't like to say one was 'better' than the other.

Well they are hard to compare. One is a full series of 60+ eps. One is a season. We wont really be able to truly compare till True Detective is finished.

Unless you are going going to deny the existence of any further seasons of TD. ;)

For me Hank on the lav is the best cliffhanger in anything ever, but the panning shot of the lilly of the valley was pretty fucking spectacular.

Yes!

watching that ep, i did wonder if Walt had something to do with Brock getting sick though. His explanation of why Gus may be doing this didnt seem plausible.

The final shot is no less of a WTF moment. Since we have been rooting for Walt that whole time...and suddenly we know what he did.

Well they are hard to compare. One is a full series of 60+ eps. One is a season. We wont really be able to truly compare till True Detective is finished.

Unless you are going going to deny the existence of any further seasons of TD. ;)

Honestly that is probably what I'm going to do. Unless the word of mouth leaves me no choice but to watch it.

I liked each season ending for its own reasons, especially 3, but 5A was the only ending where I was like, "Oh come on!"

the S5a is probably the best because it's the cliffhanger moment we all knew at one point would...should come!

The other ones were all quite unexpected.

I was thinking about this the other night. Walt's rage has been a theme of the show since the pilot. And usually created some of the shows more kick-ass moments. Like when he kicked the shit out of a guy mocking his son, or when he toasted the banker's car.

That same rage is what led Walt from killing, totally without reason, Mike.

The longer I think of it, the sadder it gets.

I wouldn't risk googling anything Breaking Bad until you're all done.

That reminds me Stefan, what did you think of the backstory with the company he was almost a part of, the life he almost had?

There are 4 episodes in Season 2 that begin with the black and white pool / teddy bear flash-forwards. The episodes are "747", "Down", "Over", and "ABQ", which forms a sentence - "747 down over ABQ".

Everything was planned from the very beginning!

What did you think of the episode with Jesse and the ATM?

So Stefan, don't you think Todd looks a lot like Matt Damon?

Stefan, what did you think of the backstory with the company he was almost a part of, the life he almost had?

I commented on the ATM episode. SKANK SKANK SKANK!!!

Todd has that same neanderthal forehead Matt Damon has. But its not like they look identical.

The Grey Matter bacjstory was good, but in a way kinda redundant. I guessed from previous episodes that all this had happened. It explains the chip on Walts shoulder. Why he refused help from his former partners, why he has such a need to achieve something.

But all of that was clear to me anyway. It didn't really need spelling out.

Oh I dunno, I think it was good they showed all that backstory. I think the backstory is absolutely essential to what makes Walt Walt, if they had never written that backstory in a lot of what he gets up to on the show wouldn't have been as good.

I don't remember thinking anything was redundant, but I also didn't marathon the entire series in the span of 2 weeks, so who knows

I'm not even sure what you're talking about with "the scene". Wasn't there multiple episodes in the early seasons where the grey matter couple is shown?