BREAKING BAD

Jay

Vince Gilligan has no more plans for the Breaking Bad universe and likes to do something else, something completely different.

Vince Gilligan: Ah, that’s a good question. I don’t have any plans right now to do anything more with the Breaking Bad universe except for helping Peter Gould and the writers finish up Better Call Saul. Having said that, I have surprised myself in the past, clearly. But I’m starting to think — I used this expression a lot in 2013 — I don’t want to overstay my welcome. I hope I haven’t at this point. It’s a tempting thing to overstay your welcome when you’re having a good time at the party. Suddenly you look around and you’re the last person there with the lampshade on your head and the hosts are waiting for you to get the hell out. I don’t want to be that guy. I’m really starting to think, “God, I better see if I got anything else in me here. I’d better see if I can come up with another story.” So no matter what, the next thing I intend to do is something completely different. But you never know, 20 years from now, if I’m still working, and everyone still wants it, it’d be interesting to see what Alaska still looks like 10 years later, 15 years later.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/15/vince-gilligan-el-camino-breaking-bad-interview/

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Vince Gilligan has no more plans for the Breaking Bad universe and likes to do something else, something completely different.

Good!

Depends on how BCS wraps her character up, and if she does get her own show, I'd rather Gould runs it by himself instead of with Gilligan

Finally watched El Camino, i thought it was superb, and unlike pretty much everyone here judging by the posts i quickly skimmed, I also thought it was a vital epitaph to Breaking Bad.

The "mystery" about what happened to Jesse was replaced by something even better. A conclusion to an emotional journey.

Wonderfully focused too! Aaron Paul needs a better post BB career than he's had.

I mean, everybody has different opinions on anything

I don't think in my post, I had anything particularly negative to say about it

Yea he's great

And Robert Forster was fantastic as always

Skinny Pete had the best moment though

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I was surprised we didn't see the Skinny Pete interrogation scene that was in one of the trailers.

Yea I wondered about that too

On 10/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, Jay said:

Incidentally, this scene is not in the finished film at all:

It's clear where it could have been placed where it kept in, and the way the trailer cuts off here, I kind of think there is more to it and this trailer only shows a part of it.  I think if they kept it in the film, it really would have slowed the pacing way down, and it would have been unnecessary entirely - I'm glad if it was cut.  Although, I wonder if it was never intended to be in the movie, and it was shot just for the trailer?

I think it works both ways: if one were to watch Breaking Bad alone, Jesse escapes at the end and it gives the audience something to ponder after without leaving anyone high and dry. El Camino, however gives us a little more to chew on after the series and gives a more concrete ending to Jesse's story after all the terrible things he's endured. If I have one criticism (probably more of a nitpick) to an otherwise fine film, I think the ending is a little too happy, almost like a dream ending for the character; he's reached his dream goal, he's escaped and gets to live a new life, but it doesn't confront what Mike warns him about - that the past can't be entirely erased or forgotten. 

One of the greatest aspects of the film for me was the fidelity of picking up a show that ended seven years ago and running with it like there wasn't that gap in time, sure the characters might look slightly older here and there (or fatter) but I immediately got the sense that this was Breaking Bad in voice and style and I loved it. I didn't mind the Walt scenes because they served to give more meaning in Jesse's story when he's confronting certain things in the present, he was after all, a huge part of Jesse's life.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But the general feeling that its unnecessary?

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I think it works both ways: if one were to watch Breaking Bad alone, Jesse escapes at the end and it gives the audience something to ponder after without leaving anyone high and dry. El Camino, however gives us a little more to chew on after the series and gives a more concrete ending to Jesse's story after all the terrible things he's endured. If I have one criticism (probably more of a nitpick) to an otherwise fine film, I think the ending is a little too happy, almost like a dream ending for the character; he's reached his dream goal, he's escaped and gets to live a new life, but it doesn't confront what Mike warns him about - that the past can't be entirely erased or forgotten. 

One of the greatest aspects of the film for me was the fidelity of picking up a show that ended seven years ago and running with it like there wasn't that gap in time, sure the characters might look slightly older here and there (or fatter) but I immediately got the sense that this was Breaking Bad in voice and style and I loved it. I didn't mind the Walt scenes because they served to give more meaning in Jesse's story when he's confronting certain things in the present, he was after all, a huge part of Jesse's life.

Please award this post with a Gold Star!

Thank you, Arpy....thank you!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

One of the greatest aspects of the film for me was the fidelity of picking up a show that ended seven years ago and running with it like there wasn't that gap in time,

Maybe that's part of the reason why some people were disappointed. Perhaps they expected something different from the TV series, not a continuation. Precisely because it's so close to the original show, they may have a problem calling it a movie (something that can stand alone on its own merits).

34 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe that's part of the reason why some people were disappointed. Perhaps they expected something different from the TV series, not a continuation. Precisely because it's so close to the original show, they may have a problem calling it a movie (something that can stand alone on its own merits).

It's a bit like a direct-to-video movie or TV movie continuation, like Stargate: The Ark of Truth or MacGyver: Lost Treasure of Atlantis.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Perhaps calling it a film is too generous, but it's more like an extended episode. I don't know if it could be called an epilogue either, because it pertains to Jesse's character alone. 

I think what might be disappointing to some is that it's very bare film and smaller in scale - it doesn't present a full story arc like the series either, it's just 'more' of Breaking Bad. 

So does anyone else think the series' signature search montage in this was weak? It felt like box ticking, after all of the previous ones in this TV universe. But I thought it was boring. Fortunately the scene that followed after, with the "cops" made up for it.

I reckon Mike's montage inside the Kettleman's household is the best one, by far.

I kind of like that as far as Jesse goes, both the show and the movie basically end the same way for him : driving off, future relatively uncertain. 

Just now, Thekthithm said:

I love it too!

Brother!!!!

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

This! El Camino feels like two extra episodes of the show basically. 

Thankfully there are some people who get it! Hopefully over times other will see the light.

Again, why on earth are Gilligan and Gould so laboriously fixated on showing us the origins of sunken rooms in Albuquerque anyway? It's as if all expanded stories have to be traced back to rooms under the ground. Is that really the best they could come up with? Second time around, I felt the plot lacked originality.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's not about the room but about the relationship between Gus, Mike, and Werner

@Quintus is lost Jason, he will be unable to accept any new "incursions" into his beloved BB's mythology.

Oh well. There's still The Orville season 3.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:07 AM, Jay said:

He's busy writing his Jim Jones miniseries for HBO so Gould is the sole showrunner for Season 4

On 10/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, Jay said:
On 9/20/2018 at 3:07 PM, Jay said:

He's busy writing his Jim Jones miniseries for HBO so Gould is the sole showrunner for Season 4

Yeah it's Gould's production now but I was reading a Gilligan interview in regards to El Camino the other day where he said he would be helping Peter Gould and the writers finish Better Call Saul.

I wonder if the Jim Jones miniseries got canceled. Haven't heard any updates in a while. And too lazy to Google right now. 

Well in the same interview he just says he's done with the BB universe for now:

But then I read in another interview that he says never say never and that he's a pathological liar and not to believe him when he says he's done with BB stuff.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, Stefancos said:

This! El Camino feels like two extra episodes of the show basically. 

Thankfully there are some people who get it! Hopefully over times other will see the light.

Well, I think everyone feels this way.

The thing is, this additional "episode" says nothing the show hasn't already. From top to bottom, it's almost exactly what's implied and comes to the imagination from the closing frames of BB. It just does it with Gilligan's usual class and finesse. So by virtue of its existence, it's solely for the fans, cameos and all. Like a DVD extra. Not much real merit otherwise.

And as Lee said, I'm also a little weary of the "small universe syndrome" and obsession with self-reference that has started plaguing the BB universe since the last season of BCS. Though I didn't think that was much of a problem here.

I, for one, am glad that Gilligan is finally moving towards something new.