BREAKING BAD

Jay

As I predicted, they are no longer referring to the 8 episodes that aired in 2012 as "Season 5 Part 1", it's just "Season 5". The 8 episodes airing this July-Aug are "Season 6".

Here's the press release for the Season 5 DVD/Blu Ray! (There are no spoilers within for Season 5 or 6)

bbs5advdcn560.jpg

Walter White's transformation from high school chemistry teacher to full-blown, ruthless drug lord continues on Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season, available on Blu-ray and DVD June 4 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Click here to pre-order Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season on Blu-Ray and DVD.

Click here to purchase Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season as a digital download.

The Fifth Season Blu-ray and DVD feature an eight-minute, uncensored bonus scene, "Chicks 'N' Guns," written and produced exclusively for the home entertainment release. Starring Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk (TV's How I Met Your Mother), and Charles Baker (Splinter), the scene tells the pivotal back story to Episode 8, "Gliding Over All."

"The extra scene we created exclusively for the Blu-ray and DVD proves just how much the relationship between Jesse and Walt has drastically changed over the past five seasons ofBreaking Bad," said Vince Gilligan, show creator. "Chicks 'N' Guns is an original idea that presents fans with a pivotal missing moment during Episode 8. Writers Jenn Carroll and Gordon Smith, and Director Michelle MacLaren, did a fantastic job bringing it to life, and I think fans will love it."

Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season comes as a three-disc Blu-ray and four-disc DVD set, including cast and crew commentary on every episode, deleted scenes, outtakes, audition and rehearsal footage, and all-new featurettes.

Breaking Bad also stars Anna Gunn (TV's Deadwood), Dean Norris (TV's CSI: Crime Scene Investigation), Betsy Brandt (Magic Mike), RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, and Jonathan Banks (Identity Thief). It was created by writer/director/producer Vince Gilligan (TV's The X-Files), who also served as executive producer with Academy Award® winner Mark Johnson (Rain Man, 1988's Best Picture) and Michelle MacLaren (TV's The X-Files). Co-executive producers of the series include Melissa Bernstein, Sam Catlin (TV's Canterbury's Law), George Mastras (TV's The Dresden Files), Peter Gould (TV's Too Big To Fail), and Thomas Schnauz (TV's The X-Files). Moira Walley-Beckett (TV's Pan Am) served as supervising producer with Stewart A. Lyons as Line Producer/UPM. Cranston and Diane Mercer (TV's Arrested Development) are producers of the series.

Blu-ray Exclusive Special Features Include:

-"Scene by Scene: Directors Discuss Memorable Moments" provides the directors' experience making the show.
-"The Writers of Breaking Bad" gives the writers a turn to show viewers what it's really like to work together and create amazing scripts.

Blu-ray & DVD Special Features Include:
-"Chicks 'N' Guns" is a scene created and produced exclusively for the home entertainment release. Certain that the DEA dragnet that sent Mike fleeing is about to close around him, Jesse enlists Skinny Pete and a stripper to help him forget his woes...until Saul arrives and gives him something entirely new to fear.
-Cast & crew commentaries on every episode
-Deleted scenes
-Outtakes
-Laura Fraser & Jesse Plemons audition footage
-Prison stunt rehearsal footage
-All-new featurettes and more

Click here to pre-order Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season on Blu-Ray

Click here to pre-order Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season on DVD

Click here to purchase Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season as a digital dowload.

Awesome: White Family Photo Album

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/white-family-photo-album/walt-skyler-marie-hank.php

There are no spoilers at all for any season, but i wouldn't recommend clicking around the rest of the site if you aren't caught up!

Brief interview with Skip MacDonald, editor of Breaking Bad

WARNING - HUGE SPOILER WITHIN!! Don't open if you haven't seen through episode 5 of season 5!!!!

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2013/04/skip-macdonald-interview.php

On a different note, here's a fabulous extended intro someone put together last year.  As much as I like the short intro for the show, I wouldn't mind seeing this one once.

My thinking was until the final 8 episodes start airing this July, we spoiler-mask any important plot details from the existing episodes since so many people are still getting caught up and are at various different points in the show.

Once the final episodes start I was thinking this would be the place to discuss each episode after it airs, without spoiler tags, like the LOST / Sherlock / Game of Thrones / etc threads.

Conan O'Brien interviews Breaking Bad creator and cast

The thing is 68 minutes so I haven't watched it yet, but I'd have to assume it probably contains spoilers for all aired episodes, so be careful if you're not caught up!

AMC has announced the final eight episodes will air Sunday, August 11th through Sunday September 29th, to be followed by Talking Bad, a new talk show in the same format as Talking Dead.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2013/04/final-episodes-premiere-date.php

With the Season 5 blu ray coming out on June 4, everyone should have a chance to catch up in time!

Doesn't the final half keep doing that, keep getting pushed back? I keep hearing conflicting dates.

Anyway, I finished S3 and began S4 last night in a double bill sitting. Fucking BRILLIANT.

Season 4 starts with Box Cutter right? That was awesome :)

BTW, I dunno if you noticed or not, but (Season 2 spoilers)

the four Season 2 episodes that feature the "teddy bear in the pool" flash-forward opening are titled "Seven Thirty Seven" "Down" "Over" and "ABQ", which when combined into a sentence describes what happens in the Season 2 finale

:)

Heh, that cool.

Difficult for me to choose a favourite season up to now, they're all nigh on perfect. Out of thirty odd episodes, there's only been ONE dud in there. That's pretty damn special.

KK, are you talking about

Walter laughing maniacally in the crawlspace

? Cause that's one of the best moments on any TV show ever

I will say that Season 5's

train robbery

episode is one of the best episodes of any TV show ever

Breaking Bad truly keeps getting better and better with every season, can't wait for the final 8!

KK, are you talking about

Walter laughing maniacally in the crawlspace

? Cause that's one of the best moments on any TV show ever

Yup. That scene still gives me the chills. Might be my favourite in the series.

I will say that Season 5's

train robbery

episode is one of the best episodes of any TV show ever

Breaking Bad truly keeps getting better and better with every season, can't wait for the final 8!

This one was fantastic as well, the way it was staged and paced. And you're right, BB just keeps getting better. With the cold opening of season 5, I can't possibly imagine what kind of crazy idea they have planned for the remainder of the season.

I don't know what you mean by "cold cut opening"

You mean when he's living in New Hampshire on his 52nd birthday and his hair has grown back?

Since we only recently were shown his 51st birthday, I imagine we won't catch up to that 52nd birthday until the final episode or maybe the one before, but who knows!

That's exactly what I meant. They have 8 episodes to show us what could have happened in that year, and I really want to know how we got from point A

Hank finding out about Walt's "work"

to point B which you mentioned.

The possibilities are endless!

But cold cuts refer to processed and sliced meat. Did he eat that in the scene? I don't remember

I just remember the bacon shaped like 52 and the eggs

Hehehe....I just meant it was a cold opening, ignore the "cut" part.

I was referring to how brilliant the show takes us a year ahead to a completely alienated situation from what we know has happened so far.

It was a "cold" opening :P

Ah, yes. A cold opening is a scene that plays before the opening credits. I didn't know what a cold cut opening was :P

• 2 weeks later...

That was as brilliantly staged as it was shocking (even though I did anticipate it).

Giancarlo Esposito's role in the show, his playing of that character, is one of the best, most mesmerising in anything I've seen, including movies. I want an action figure of him!

No, that season's finale ;)

Ooh, so this means you already passed one of my favourite episodes. What'd you think of the finale of episode 11, Crawl Space (2 eps before the season finale)?

Ooh, so this means you already passed one of my favourite episodes. What'd you think of the finale of episode 11, Crawl Space (2 eps before the season finale)?

It was a superb episode, as we're the last three or four of the season. The way the hectic urgency is ramped up to fever pitch, the mania, it's just so enthralling.

Going back a little, I thought the scene with with Walter and his son (when Walt breaks down) was pretty magnificent, a real standout moment overall.

Going back a little, I thought the scene with with Walter and his son (when Walt breaks down) was pretty magnificent, a real standout moment overall.

That's a great scene as well.

Karol

Quint what did you think about the episode before, with Walter's parking lot bomb plan?

I need to stay out of this thread, now that my girlfriend and I have begun to watch this show. We watched the first four episodes of the first season last night, and we enjoy it so far, and will now watch through its conclusion.

Quint what did you think about the episode before, with Walter's parking lot bomb plan?

As I said, I loved it! Gus is so smart and well ahead of everyone else that I did not for an instant disbelieve his almost psychic hunch that something about that moment wasn't right. You can see him weighing it up, before deciding once again not to take any chances, ever.

Awesome.

Gus is such a great character graced with a brilliant performance. He's always mesmerizing to watch.

I need to stay out of this thread, now that my girlfriend and I have begun to watch this show. We watched the first four episodes of the first season last night, and we enjoy it so far, and will now watch through its conclusion.

I think the plan here is that those discussing the show between now and August 11th will put any major events in spoiler tags, as lots of people are still getting into the show and are in various stages of getting caught up.

Come August 11th when the final 8 episodes begin airing yeah, I'd stay out if you aren't watching week to week.

Started season 8 tonight, the first two episodes. It's pretty jarring, because it feels so different to the other seasons, tonally. It almost feels like a different show, I'm not sure I how I feel about that at the moment, I hope it passes and I settle into it. Walter is acting weird, unnatural, unbelievable. Perhaps I'm highly sensitive to his change due to my compacted viewing of the show - I've watched the whole thing in what, six weeks?

The lightness and humour has been abruptly sucked out, leaving only darkness and sinister dealings. That for me is only half of the Breaking Bad formula. The last couple of hours actually felt like a Michael Mann movie...

I realise things are being wrapped up this time around, and so the writers motivations are bound to be more direct and urgent, but I hope they haven't abandoned the trademark absurdity entirely for this, the grand finale.

Season 5 definitely gets off to a slow start, but from the train episode on its pure gold.

Started season 8 tonight, the first two episodes. It's pretty jarring, because it feels so different to the other seasons, tonally. It almost feels like a different show, I'm not sure I how I feel about that at the moment, I hope it passes and I settle into it. Walter is acting weird, unnatural, unbelievable. Perhaps I'm highly sensitive to his change due to my compacted viewing of the show - I've watched the whole thing in what, six weeks?

The lightness and humour has been abruptly sucked out, leaving only darkness and sinister dealings. That for me is only half of the Breaking Bad formula. The last couple of hours actually felt like a Michael Mann movie...

I realise things are being wrapped up this time around, and so the writers motivations are bound to be more direct and urgent, but I hope they haven't abandoned the trademark absurdity entirely for this, the grand finale.

It's Mr Chips becomes Scarface story. It always was. I myself had chills when I watched those 8 episodes.

Karol

Is the season 5 premiere the one with the electromagnet? That was kinda really cool and really odd at the same time.