BREAKING BAD

Jay

The first two seasons were my favourite, but they are all brilliant.

I can't believe Alex hasn't been exposed to the awesome cliffhanger of DOOM!

In a way, it's like he's missed out on the collectively shared and exciting sense of anticipation. Same goes for Wojo.

Waiting to see what happens after THAT moment feels like an EVENT!

I got the first 4 seasons for under $10 each so I will wait before buying the last 2 sets until they are that cheap I guess.

But shit you're right, there probably will be a nice box set I will want instead of these individual ones, damn!

I take it it's cheaper than the previous seasons with it only comprising of eight episodes?

I'm waiting for the box set of the whole thing.

Devilish play.com (rakuten??!!) advertised with "Breaking Bad Season 5 Out Now!" but when I got the order confirmation, it suddenly stated "Breaking Bad Season 5 Part 1". Grrrrr!

Alex

Since they haven't even finishing making the final 8 episodes yet and they won't air until August and September, why would you possibly think they would be included on a blu ray set coming out in June?

Breaking Bad Season 5 is now on Blu-ray and DVD and includes an 8-minute, uncensored bonus scene, "Chicks 'n' Guns," produced exclusively for the home entertainment release. Pick it up today

Anybody seen this yet? Hmm maybe somebody will put it on youtube.

Well I'm completely caught up so you can tell me. I have no idea what you're talking about. It's just Walt, Skylar, Hank, and Marie sitting around a table. What's the big deal?

I could see it as a spoiler, having only finished season 2, if all three at the table with Walt survive, so long as it's not a flashback like the Christmas table in The Godfather Part II.

Since they haven't even finishing making the final 8 episodes yet and they won't air until August and September, why would you possibly think they would be included on a blu ray set coming out in June?

Please, no need to be so condescending, Jason. I didn't know they are splitting up TV series these days. Also, the advertisement conveniently failed to mention it. And I just heard that Mad Men will come in two parts as well. Now I have to wait for a long time to buy the remaining episodes. Is this a new tactic to get more money from us?

Alex

The dvd/blu set that came out yesterday contains all 8 episodes that aired in 2012. Some call it season 5, some call it season 5 part 1.

There will be 8 more episodes airing this year, starting August 11th. I'm sure the dvd/blu will be out by Christmas. Some call these episodes season 6, some call them season 5 part 2.

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I started to watch S5 and it seems WW is having a bit of a superiority complex. Is he the new Gus?! Hihihihihihi

I forgive you ...

Alex

I think that character trait was justified by everything that happened in the first 4 seasons.

It's been the steady progression from episode 1. Interesting how this whole situation has brought out dormant character traits. Sometimes we never know truly what we're capable of, what type of person we can be if inserted into a different type of environment.

Yes, exactly.

BTW, what did everyone think of the Flash-forward to Walt's 52nd birthday that opened up the Season 5 premiere? I didn't even remember at the time that the pilot episode had Walt celebrating his 50th birthday, with the bacon made into a little "50" and everything (except of course, it was fake bacon on his 50th)

I was then surprised to realize that we hadn't even seen Walt's 51st birthday by the time they showed us that flash-forward to his 52nd, meaning everything that happened in the first 4 seasons and beyond all take place in the space of less than a year.

Wow, episode 2 (Madrigal) was a 10/10 episode. When Breaking Bad is as good as this, almost nothing can touch it. It's like watching the Coen Brothers at their best. And isn't Mike Ehrmantraut a great character? Jonathan Banks is playing the role of his career!

tumblr_m7msrppzo91qczkzxo1_500_zpsf1ca94

Alex

The first two episodes didn't sit quite right with me. The sudden shift in tone to pitch black felt too abrupt, I felt. Still brilliant, but just... unnatural.

Nobody here agreed when I mentioned it at the time.

And yes, Mike is awesome. And he was in Gremlins!

I had the same with episode 1 (the magnet was a bit, I dunno, too much, I guess) ... which to me completely pales against the supremacy of the second one. I was amazed with just about everything ... the writing, the acting, the extremely slow yet compelling pace, the tension (Chow, Mike at the police station, ... ), the filming, ... I'm sure this episode is one of the season's highlights.

The train episode is THE highlight of season 5. It's just... amazing.

And yes, Mike definitely is a great character for sure.

If anything, I felt the magnet was an attempt to bring the show back to a place it was at back in season 1. It was a nice idea, but I think the show has moved too far past it for it to work at this point.

BTW, what did everyone think of the Flash-forward to Walt's 52nd birthday that opened up the Season 5 premiere? I didn't even remember at the time that the pilot episode had Walt celebrating his 50th birthday, with the bacon made into a little "50" and everything (except of course, it was fake bacon on his 50th)

I was then surprised to realize that we hadn't even seen Walt's 51st birthday by the time they showed us that flash-forward to his 52nd, meaning everything that happened in the first 4 seasons and beyond all takes place in the space of less than a year.

I thought it was weird, Jason . Then again, I haven't all the episodes so I don't know if it will make sense later on in the season.

BTW, eppy 3 (Hazard Pay) pales in comparison with eppy 2. It was normal good, not exceptionally good.

Alex

Looks like I avoided this thread for nothing :)

On Friday I finally got caught up with everyone else. A few thoughts: (for those who are also up to date)

I can understand that Walt's getting cocky, but plot points such as arranging the death of all those prisoners felt too easy... no storyline dealing with how to pull that sort of thing off - it just happens? Didn't really buy that. I liked that earlier plots focused more on the ethics/legalities, and the practicalities were more of of a blind-eye sorta thing.

I also felt that Gus' demeanour was too cliched at times, particularly during the cartel subplot.

I knew what was going to happen as soon as he got the bottle out and gave an excuse for Jessie not to have any

and I really wish they had been a little more original than that. The whole 'I didn't mean to offend you', ass-kissing thing really got tired. (is that really how drug lords work? are they that f****g sensitive?).

Mike is a great character, although again, the ease with which there seemed to be endless henchman and exactly the right resources to do the necessary activity for the episode. In some cases I'd prefer they stuck to the more domestic and business-related plot lines.

Lastly, could Walt really 'retire' that easily? This was a huge plotline during season 3 with Gus clearly planning something, but suddenly this new partner is fine with him going back to normal life? I guess once they'd gone through that batch of chemicals it was technically over, but it seemed a little too easy.

On whole I felt that the 8 episodes we've seen of Season 5 felt like a normal 13 episode amount of episodes condensed down to 8. At first they seemed normally paced, but by the end things happened really fast and I felt like they jumped over things that would have been shown normally.

Yeah I think that's a contributor to my criticisms - there were a lot of things to wrap up, and by the time the list sub-plot came up and Mike's 'hush' payments, it needed more time than it had.

It's still the best show I've seen since the 24/Lost/House/Prison Break era - the pilot for this and The Walking Dead were the only two shows from the last few years for which I had a 'wow' reaction. I'm particularly happy that it's able to end properly, with a well-defined story. Most shows don't seem to get that luxury.

I'm glad Breaking Bad also seems to appeal to the 24/Lost/ABC/CBS/formulaic series/non-premium network crowd!!!

Episode 4 (Fifty-One) of season 5 was pretty hefty ... with Skyler finally speaking up. It was about time that she did!

Great episode that once again demonstrates how artistically free this series is.

Alex

I was particularly intrigued by the shot of Walt's monologue with

Skyler walking into the pool in the background.

The way the shot was framed made it so clear that something was going on. A very interesting take on her character -

her fear for their lives is so strong that it's like she doesn't care any more, even if not suicidal.

Episode 5 (Dead Weight) was a weaker episode for me. It was basically another robbery flick. It's not why I watch Breaking Bad.

Alex

It's still as well mounted a robbery as any of the better robbery movies out there though and a solid episode in its own right, but I know what you mean. It was from that episode onward that the season gained momentum for me.

The name of the episode was Dead Freight, not Dead Weight.

I can't imagine how anyone could not like it. It was one of the most suspenseful things I have ever seen! Marcy had to get up and watch from the kitchen, she couldn't take the suspense.

The final scene with the kid was heartbreaking

I wouldn't say it was that suspenseful Jason!

I agree .. it was mildly suspenseful. It was, however, beautifully put on film. You can see the director and cameraman were having a blast.

I'm completely up to date now with BB.

I guess I have to wait a year or so for the last 6 episodes. It's only six, right?

Alex

8 episodes, and they begin airing August 11th. Why would you wait until next year?

I know, but this is BREAKING BAD we're talking about!

Anyways, since there is not further season to promote, I suspect the BDs for the final episodes will be out before Christmas

I have the first 4 seasons on BD so far because I got them really cheap, but now I do wonder if there will be a nice looking complete-series box set i would rather have than 6 individual sets. Hmmm.