BREAKING BAD

Jay

And Jason, I thought Skyler's scene was perfect. She's already done her screaming, shouting and slapping. Walt, the prosecutors, her financial situation; its left her completely drained. What's left of her is nothing more than an empty shell of a human being. So what if Walt confesses his true intentions, what good does that do her? What point is there in slapping him? She can only remorse for all she lost, including the man he loved.

This

I'm glad the show didn't end with Walt shown as a monster. Yes, he hasn't exactly redeemed himself, but showed Walt's last attempt at humanity, and I can appreciate that.

Wow! Here's a great article where Vince Gilligans talks about the finale, including a cool part about why/how they decided the ricin should be used for Lydia.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/breaking-bad-finale-vince-gilligan/

So what are everyone's favorite episodes from the final 8? For me, it's easily To'hajiilee / Ozymandias / Granite State. Those 3 eps are about as perfect episodes as I can think of of a TV drama.

If I had to pick one, I dunno how to choose between Ozymandias and Granite State. Both are so brilliant for so many different reasons....

Gilligan is a traditionalist at heart. I love him for ending it in such a time-honoured, satisfyingly complete way. It really was a western after all. This style of finale writing and structure was refreshing in an age of ambiguity and loose ends. The final episode could just as easily been directed by Frank Darabont.

Well Lydia is soooo paranoid regarding if anyone catches a glimpse of her, knock them off.

I loved the last episode. Not sure if I should say anything regarding spoilers?

Ironcially the dvd set will be released on my b-day.

(Y)

OK I've watched this episode last night (around 1AM) after a very long journey. It might have dampened my enjoyment slightly.

It's a solid ending, but far from the best episodes.I didn't exactly get any denouement from it, felt like a regular episode. Too rushed, maybe a longer running time would help. I just didn't get time to digest and absorb any of it. It starts very, very well, with the car teaser and then then with Walt's small money con. And then Skyler's scene. After that it becomes slightly weaker and going through the motions. I guess it does the only things left to do. Not sure if that's enough for me.

And no, I don't mean any changes to the story itself, that's satisfying enough, but the way it plays out, pacing etc.

But I do like the fact Walter eludes law enforcement up until the very end.

Karol

That's what I mean. It doesn't help the previous episode was one of my favourites ever. It almost provided me with what the actual finale couldn't.

But I'm still buying the complete series in a couple of months - it shall sit on my shelf next to Twin Peaks and The Wire.

Karol

Whereas I really appreciate the simmering end game resolution of the final episode and how its slow, understated farewells to both the characters and their audience plays off the explosive revelations of the previous instalments - there was a real sense of utter doom here; in contrast to comparatively 'high-octane' and at that time still uncertain events of the weeks previous. It was a close full of reflection and sorrow, as it should have been. I felt rewarded for my participation.

I really loved all of season 5b- except for the second episode (it's not even bad, it's still really damn great and some of the best TV out there), but up from To hajiilee until the very end, they really upped the ante. Everything was great.

I am just watching Talking Bad with Vince Gilligan being a guest and he explains how Walt's final moments are meant to resemble Gollum's final moment in ROTK, where he gets to be happy with his precious (the meth lab) for the very last time just moments before he dies. Funny comparison.

Karol

That is fucking AWESOME! (and a bit sad :()

I just rewatched the final episode tonight. Sigh, it's so beautiful in my opinion. Every single scene, their slowness, it's all so vital.

Ah, memories, so much good stuff there. I think Breaking Bad easily has the best cold opens of any show I've watched

Ah, memories, so much good stuff there. I think Breaking Bad easily has the best cold opens of any show I've watched

That website's episodes reviews stood out to me as particularly excellent, really insightful stuff. Take a look at his Felina thoughts for proof.

Vince Gilligan shares some of his (terrible) season 5 ideas which thankfully didn't come to fruition: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4030388

I love how open Gilligan is about the process. Interesting and not completely unsurprising that they wrote the M60 in at the start of the season without yet knowing what they were gonna do with it.

It's funny when when he said there was some kind of idea for an ending when he pitched the show, but he can't remember what it was. Actually, you could say the made up this show as they went, which should put to bed the myth about "masterplans".

Karol

Actually, you could say the made up this show as they went, which should put to bed the myth about "masterplans".

It kind of depends of the writer. Some writers can make it up as they go along and still emulate a sort of masterplan.

That's why they put in the machine gun "flag pole", though. Clever and pretty brave if you ask me. They could have easily regretted doing that. That, plus Walter White was given a death sentence in season 1 episode 1, which is a not so minor target and end game for the narrative to build up towards.

Actually, you could say the made up this show as they went, which should put to bed the myth about "masterplans".

It kind of depends of the writer. Some writers can make it up as they go along and still emulate a sort of masterplan.

I wasn't aware that Gilligan or anyone else involved ever claimed there was a "masterplan". There was clearly a beginning, middle and end in sight at the conceptual stage, but getting there would of course be an organic process.

Actually, you could say the made up this show as they went

Actually, you couldn't. You've got Lost on the brain.