BREAKING BAD

Jay

Yes, that is precisely the intention. The finale had the climatic and spectacularly dramatic Crack of Doom moments behind it and was designed purely to be every bit the aftermath closure and farewells it was.

I think some commentators are unable to see beyond tv drama conventions and are unwilling to allow more filmic, cinematic ideas to take shape and fulfil their ambitions.

Breaking Bad defied tv norms and became the phenomenon it was because it was cinematic and it was extraordinary.

Lee - can't wait for his blu-ray Christmas present.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can tell you one thing, after 36 crazy eppies of Deadwood, it takes some serious adjusting watching Breaking Bad again. As you are watching it becomes clear that you are still very much in a different universe. But the Hank's garage scene was a complete knockout! The look on WW's face right before he turned around again to ask Hank one more question was disconcerting.

The curious oddity that was Hank's "bull****" curse removal in the first season of the Breaking Bad blu-ray appears to have been a one off after all, because I'm midway through season 2 now and there's been a couple of bullshits from Skylar and a fuck. Weird.

That is pretty annoying they censored the 1st season blu ray, and never went back and fixed it in later pressings. Oh well.

The last but one episode of the final season (featuring that actor from Jackie Brown) was good. Is there nobody here who feels the whole season is too dramatic in tone? Also, why do they feel it's necessary that Walter White should get his comeuppance? Do we really need to hear the message that crime doesn't pay? Anyways, one more to go and then it's over. I hope the last eppy will rock. BTW, I have been paying extra attention to Saul Goodman and, yes, I too fear he's no leading man material.

Alex

It was a good final episode. Too bad Quint is a goner for now there's no one here to discuss BB with. Ah well, ... next stop is Game Of Thrones S3 ...

Alex

Also, why do they feel it's necessary that Walter White should get his comeuppance? Do we really need to hear the message that crime doesn't pay?

It's more the natural progression of the character. Walter White made it necessary that he received his own comeuppance due to his greed and inability to truly see out of his periphery. Mike says something about Walter not knowing his place. Walt was drunk with power at the end of the 4th and then in the 5th seasons. He got too big-headed too fast. He put himself on a path of continual escalation that he couldn't get off of.

Glad you liked the final season of Breaking Bad, Alex. I thought it was all fantastic, but the final 3 episodes in particular were all 10/10, absolutely top notch television. Well, the actual finale less-so than the 2 that came before it. I loved the amazing tension, suspense, and character interactions of Ozymandias, and the quiet, understated nature of Granite State. Felina was great in it's own way, but in some ways could never live up to the beauty of the previous two episodes, are perhaps put too nicely a bow on too many storylines. Still ended stronger than so many other shows that had soared at times - mostly because it didn't keep getting renewed year after year, and the entire final 16 episodes were written knowing they would be the end.

You can scroll back into the earlier pages of this thread and read our reactions to the episodes as they aired!

Walter began his life of crime believing he was serving his family best, but along the way, it became his passion. He treated his craft as art and it consumed him. He lost his family in the process, and without that, he lost a reason to go on.

Whether it was a lucky bullet in the finale or his cancer in the weeks to come, Walter's death spared the audience of an insufferable season 6 spent in the courtroom with the most monotonous TV show device: the clip show.

Rich

Glad you liked the final season of Breaking Bad, Alex. I thought it was all fantastic, but the final 3 episodes in particular were all 10/10, absolutely top notch television. Well, the actual finale less-so than the 2 that came before it. I loved the amazing tension, suspense, and character interactions of Ozymandias, and the quiet, understated nature of Granite State. Felina was great in it's own way, but in some ways could never live up to the beauty of the previous two episodes, are perhaps put too nicely a bow on too many storylines. Still ended stronger than so many other shows that had soared at times - mostly because it didn't keep getting renewed year after year, and the entire final 16 episodes were written knowing they would be the end.

You can scroll back into the earlier pages of this thread and read our reactions to the episodes as they aired!

Yes, I also loved how Granite State ended with the show's main theme (that bottleneck slide guitar) as we see Walter's glass on the bar but ... no Walter. It was as if he finally understood it all (after living what must be several months in solitude) and that he knew what he must do.

Walter began his life of crime believing he was serving his family best, but along the way, it became his passion. He treated his craft as art and it consumed him. He lost his family in the process, and without that, he lost a reason to go on.

His final scene with Skyler where he told her "I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it" was a beautiful moment.

About his comeuppance, for a long time it felt like Walter White was going to go out without a bang but in the end he took the matter into his own hand and it made sure his life still ended on a high note.

Yes, it was. Walt could have stayed in his snowy shack for the rest of his days (just until Ed decides to stop bringing the chemotherapy drugs), but he decided to man up and break the cycle.

Rich

Yea, the ending of Granite State with the extended title theme playing is one of the coolest moments of the show

Anyone agree that this season there was something dangerously creepy about Todd?

Breaking-bad-todd-matt-damon_zpsa1454015

He was like the smartest guy of the Neo-Nazi gang, his talks with and his love for Miss 'Stevia' ... There's something fucked up and ambiguous about him ... He's actually a great 'bad guy'. I almost wished he were still around for Better Call Saul.

Alex

Better Call Saul is a prequel that takes place before Saul met Walter and Jesse, so any character from BB could show up on it.

And yea, in many ways Meth Damon is the creepiest character in all of BB.

• 4 weeks later...

It will probably be $139.99 the week it comes out, and there will probably be Black Friday deals where you can get it for $99.99

My teacher gives me all 5 Breaking Bad's seasons.

If it's as good as you say, I'll come back here.

• 4 weeks later...

I never really participated in this thread because I was always behind in the show, and I hate spoilers...but I just thought I'd pop in now to state the obvious: this show is really damn good. Once I finally finished the final episodes, I couldn't resist the temptation to immediately go back and start over from the beginning again.

God, "Ozymandias" was so brutal and heartwrenching that it almost made me feel sick. I actually had to watch an episode of Malcolm in the Middle afterward, just because I needed to see Bryan Cranston not being Walter White.

This show really does demonstrate the importance of - as that poster said - chemistry. There's a near-perfect confluence of casting, writing, directing, acting, cinematography, editing, and music here, and you really need all these elements (no pun intended) for the show to become exceptional. There may have been a few missteps here and there, but this has got to be one of the most perfect works of cinematic storytelling the human race has produced so far.

Metástasis, on the other hand...well, from what I've seen, it seems the best thing about it is the title.

• 2 weeks later...

He could appear as a zombie on TWD, assuming he'd stagger that far across the southern US to Georgia. I mean, they already pointed out that Merle had a bag of Crystal Blue.

No, it will pick up exactly where the last episode left off, to reveal that one of the approaching police officers is Thoros of Myr.

Lord, cast your light upon this man, your servant...

That's the only plausible mechanism I can think of.