BREAKING BAD

Jay

The new Breaking Bad Complete Series boxset in normal packaging instead of that stupid money barrel is up. I like the cover art!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9PDXP2/

I'll keep monitoring the price, see how low it can go, before I pick it up. Not in a rush.

It will probably be $139.99 the week it comes out, and there will probably be Black Friday deals where you can get it for $99.99

It ended being even lower than I predicted - just dropped from $169.99 to $129.99 (It came out yesterday)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9PDXP2/

I paid £49 for it when Amazon originally listed it at that price. It's never been that cheap since. Tell a lie - my brother got it for me for Xmas.

However it's worth noting that the Best Buy version, being sold for the same price, comes with an exclusive bonus disc

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/breaking-bad-the-complete-series-with-bonus-disc-blu-ray-disc/5955017.p;jsessionid=D9333D7E9B17245A328AC198E3956A2A.bbolsp-app03-163?id=3218460&skuId=5955017&st=breaking%20bad&lp=15&cp=1

EDIT: Er, maybe it's just mentioning the bonus disc that normally comes with it, nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...

Not new but I just came across this: Anthony Hopkins gushes over Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston in a personal email to him:

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD” – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/anthony-hopkins-gushes-breaking-bad-648242

I loved how Hopkins noticed the show went from "black comedy" to "blood, destruction and hell" and that it restored his confidence because I always felt the same. TV restored my confidence in the art of flickering images, not cinema.

Alexandre

guest2, on 14 Oct 2013 - 9:49 PM, said:

Heh, praise doesn't get much bigger than this: http://theverge.com/2013/10/14/4837394/anthony-hopkins-calls-breaking-bad-confidence-restoring-epic-work

Scroll down to Hopkins' letter!

The Welsh master knows his shit, and just what a kind gesture.

That letter blew me away Alex!

More and more big screen actors (and directors) are starting be notice that TV is the place to be now. And it is. Really, while I think cinema should be a director's medium, TV is perfect for character development, acting and writing.

Alex

Why not, Hopkins started out his career in television so why not go back there? He needs to go out with a bang and not with Thor 4 or 5.

• 1 month later...

You know it'll be $99 in a store somewhere on Black Friday

Actually, if Amazon is selling it for $102 now, maybe it'll be $89 or $79 on BF

I'm taking a calculated risk that it won't skyrocket back up, which would seem doubtful at this point. I don't really need it right this second since I don't plan on going through it again yet. And since it's a Prime product I'm not concerned with shipping costs.

• 1 month later...

Pilot

Cranston is excellent in how be portrays a very down on his luck man, who's hopelessly in debt and through a combination of circumstances gets the bright idea to start cooking meth.

I like how there were some signs of "bad-ass-ness". like the moment where he basically blackmails Pinkman in partnering up with him, and the scene where he kicks the guy making fun of his son. But for the most part Walter White here is a man in a deep crises. Perceived as a dweeb, but with a quiet rage boiling under the surface.

Even in this pilot I can already see how Cranston, who has had a lengthy, but largely anonymous career became an overnight sensation.

I was not invested in any of the other characters though. Not the lame son, the dull wife and duller sister or the moronic Pinkman. Do these characters get interesting?

The first 6 or 7 eppies were still very much like a Coen brothers tribute. I liked them very much.

BTW, isn't it odd that Better Call Saul is incorporated into this thread? For a second I believed Steef saw the pilot of Better Call Saul.

Pilot

Cranston is excellent in how be portrays a very down on his luck man, who's hopelessly in debt and through a combination of circumstances gets the bright idea to start cooking meth.

I like how there were some signs of "bad-ass-ness". like the moment where he basically blackmails Pinkman in partnering up with him, and the scene where he kicks the guy making fun of his son. But for the most part Walter White here is a man in a deep crises. Perceived as a dweeb, but with a quiet rage boiling under the surface.

Even in this pilot I can already see how Cranston, who has had a lengthy, but largely anonymous career became an overnight sensation.

I was not invested in any of the other characters though. Not the lame son, the dull wife and duller sister or the moronic Pinkman. Do these characters get interesting?

Good lad. Now I guess it's my turn. I'll watch Doctor Who epi 2 tomorrow evening (I'm out on the lash tonight).

And yes, ALL of the characters come into their own. You'll see. Skylar and Hank in particular are tremendous.

A nice bit of absurdism running though the pilot as well.

It's a regular theme, better get used to it ;)

It's the reason why I've strangely always been reminded of Indiana Jones movies. Maybe you'll see why the further your get into it.

There's definitely a Coen brothers vibe to the whole thing, but this is the first time I'm hearing about parallels drawn to the Indy flicks.

Glad you enjoyed it Steef. And as the others have said, every character comes to shine on their own.

There's definitely a Coen brothers vibe to the whole thing, but this is the first time I'm hearing about parallels drawn to the Indy flicks.

pdvSml4.jpg

;)

There's that, the scrapes and last minute escapes/luck, and finally the shouty exchanges between Walt and Jesse in the early days are to me, pure Henry Jones Snr vs Henry Jones Jnr.

pdvSml4.jpg

;)

There's that, the scrapes and last minute escapes/luck, and finally the shouty exchanges between Walt and Jesse in the early days are to me, pure Henry Jones Snr vs Henry Jones Jnr.

Huh. I never thought of it that way. Well noted! The name Heisenberg itself adds to that vibe.

Love that poster by the way. Isn't there a different version too?

It is still highly immoral, ofcourse!

There should be a disclaimer before each episode: "This programme contains sinful sequences and possible seeds of indecent ambition that would most certainly attract even the most intelligent and resistant of viewers. Free thinkers, stay away!",

Karol

Well the show isn't promoting drugs or cancer. That's all in the background. At the heart of it, BB is just a character piece.

Glad you're coming on board, Steef!

We should all respect him and other new viewers and go back to not having unmasked spoilers in the thread. Shouldn't be a big deal as the show is over and there isn't much to discuss, and BCS is still half a year away.

Btw Steef, I consider eps 2 and 3 of season 1 to be the low point of the entire series, so if you think they suck don't worry, it gets way better than those real soon.

In fact over all I'd consider season 1 to be the worst season, each season is basically better than the last really. Season 1 also doesn't have a real ending, because they had to halt production as a result of the 2007 writers strike. So they kinda wrap up the season one stuff 3 or so eps into season 2, and then the last ten eps or so of season 2 is like the real second season.

I disagree about season 1 and those episodes. To me it's an excellent first season with consistently engrossing episodes in which you can feel the slow turning of the screw and the beginnings of a riveting family drama. The subsequent seasons do get better and better though, which is in no way a slight on s1. It's just that they're that good. So I suppose one way of saying it is that season 1 is the "worst", but that's not how I'd put it.

Actually Jason, I've just recalled the events of episode 3 now, "...And the Bag's in the River" is its title.

WTF are you talking about?! It's the one with Crazy Eight in the basement. A GREAT, momentus moment in the Walter White arc. It's seriously one the finest scenes in the whole series!

Poor dat, Jay.

I think Jay prefers the more flashy, action-packed plot events of the later seasons over the subtle craftsmanship of the first season.

I can appreciate both and I love the first season.

Nipples? The pilot shows actual full on boobies. but just for a few seconds.

Of course, but I meant that in contrast to a mid-series episode where they show boobies with pasties over the nipples.