Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Now the joke that was once attributed to Jerry Goldsmith can now be used for HZ as well: "Find out who's making that noise outside, bring him in and maybe HanZim can use it for his next score!"

Watching that creative chap mess around with his monstrosities, I can actually recognise sounds from the score. Some of them are pure hard sci-fi in nature and the vast acoustics he achieves just in that basic raw environment are pretty amazing. Zimmer didn't have to alter the sounds that much it seems. Didn't hear the World Engine in there, though.

Men, if JG was still alive, the things he could do with this unique instruments.

When was the last time Jerry used odd instruments?

Last July 20th, on the eve of his 9th deathday anniversary...

Zimmer on creating the sounds for Man Of Steel. I guess this falls into that world destroyer sound Quint and Prometheus were talking about? Apparently not a sample after all.

Eric Norris came up with the world engine sound, not Chas Smith.

It's rather charming to see a dude with a bunch of shit lying around his back yard and in his garage making acoustic sounds.

I have to disagree with Zimmer on this point, "Other than if it had been designed by committee no single human being could be so crazy as wanting to design instruments as illogical as this". This seems rather disingenuous as it is completely untrue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*ahem*

Guess you fans of this score have more to talk about now. Let's hear it!

It's truly badass isn't it? It's great that a 50 something film scoring veteran can come along and create something with so much swagger that makes 98% of scores by composers half his age sound completely wet.

Hope you don't mind me quoting a PM but it's the truth!

A lot of people in this thread need to be slapped....

I'll seek asylum at an airport over in FSM land.

Not before downloading the newly leaked 5 hour-MOS sessions, undoubtedly, revelling in it like a pig wallowing in the mud.

As if anyone in America cares.

I like to return to my MOS Spotify playlist - surprisingly often. The quiet parts are really distinctive, it's the loud stuff that's god awful.

The ethereal bits are quite nice. But the loud bits make you reconsider whether the score was worth visiting in the first place.

I think I'll revisit this today.

I love the Zod/Faora bits. Very Mittel-European. Wagner meets electro/industrial. You can almost smell the leather and discipline.

Bowowow Bowowoow Bowowowowowowo

mmwwwmmmMMmwMmMmwmMmMwww

Bowobwboow Bowowbow Bowobwobw Bowoowbowbw Boowbowbow..... Brobwobwobwo Browobwobow

Bowowow Bowowoow Bowowowowowowo

mmwwwmmmMMmwMmMmwmMmMwww

Bowobwboow Bowowbow Bowobwobw Bowoowbowbw Boowbowbow..... Brobwobwobwo Browobwobow

That part is still one of the most aesthetically interesting things I've heard recently in movies. It's fucking badass sci-fi scoring.

• 5 years later...

I've been reading some older threads about Zimmer's Man of Steel and I'm finding a lot of comments of praise from members who whittled the album down into slightly more concise playlists. Unfortunately I can't seem to find what these playlists looked like, so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a shortened program for my listening purposes. 

EDIT: @Jay could you actually move this to the Man of Steel score thread. I don't know why I didn't just post it there in the first place.

EDIT: Thank you, Jay.

• 2 years later...

Remember when all the film music journalists thought Man of Steel was one of the worst scores ever written? Good times. It's a freaking masterpiece compared to what we have to deal with today.

Just now, Drew said:

Remember when all the film music journalists thought Man of Steel was one of the worst scores ever written? Good times. It's a freaking masterpiece compared to what we have to deal with today.

It was definitely over hated at the time

Man of Steel is my second favorite Superman score. There are days when it's my favorite Superman movie. (It's kind of like choosing between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan. They do such different jobs.)

It would have been interesting to see what could have been done with Williams' theme. Would it have been a perfunctory statement like some of the Bond scores? Would they have used it like Williams did? Or would it have used the theme in a more modern fashion?

I think they made the right choice.