Met John Williams last night

I attended the May 29th concert of John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra and had the good fortune to meet the man after the concert. Here's a little transcript of what was said.

JH: Mr. Williams, I think Heartwood is a masterpiece...

JW: Oh you heard it? (He sounded surprised and pleased. I suppose he gets much less feedback from his personal works)

JH: ...and for Seiji.

JW: Oh Thank You.

JH: What can we expect next from you?

JW: Well, more movies, and the Horn Concerto for the Cleveland Orchestra.

JH: That's been a long time [coming]

JW: Yes it has!

JH: Mr. Williams, I hope you'll accept this gift. (I hand him a CD of my String Quartet "Botanical" Premiere with the Arden String Quartet.)

JW: I will!

JH: I wrote this and there's a little quote of some of your music in the Scherzo.

[other people were getting anxious to meet him so I stepped aside]

JW: Thank you, Good Luck!

I walked out of the hall with that great image of him wishing me good luck with genuine enthusiasm and encouragement in his voice. I may never know whether he'll listen to my composition, but I feel that it was the only thing I could possibly offer him in return for all the music he's intoxicated and inspired me with over the years. I doubt he'll recognize the blatant quote from "Desert Chase" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remember him saying once in an interview that he doesn't listen to the music he doesn't play live. Could there be any other explanation for him thinking that "Across the Stars" was the first Star Wars love theme? I suppose he doesn't have every note ingrained the way we do. I did leave my email address just incase he'd hask his assistant to relay thanks or somesuch wishes, but for someone as busy as Williams, there's little hope for that! I'm just happy knowing that perhaps he listened to something of mine, was perhaps flattered, perhaps impressed, or perhaps just lost in the sonics the way I have been so many times listening to his great works.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am feeling worse and worse reading all these threads about people meeting him after the concert. i didn't think it was possible and now i feel very jealous as i too am as big a fan as anyone else on this board. i hope it was for you as it would have been for me. you are very lucky

Jessie,

Congradulations on meeting him as well. He is a genuinely nice guy, although it seems! I will never forget the 28th myself, and I'm glad to hear that you had a good time at the concert also! I hope he listens to your cd and LOVES it!

Hey, ya never know.....maybe he'll return the favor and quote YOUR music, but then again.... you didn't hand it to James Horner! That would be the ultimate gesture if he did that.

Or, maybe he'll send you his collection of personal works that have never been heard by anyone but him and the orchestra. Hey, ya never know!

Enjoyed reading about your encounter with the maestro. I met him after a concert in 1990 and thanked him for writing Always. Four months previous to the meeting I tweaked my knee (went to the ER the next day) and when I played that score it eased my pain. Truly showed the healing power of music.

And as for others who call themselves big John Williams fans: I'm 6'5" and 270lbs. That's right, there's at least a 95% chance that I'm a bigger John Williams fan than you are.

Okay, maybe just more voluminous...

Peace.

b.