John Williams and Frank Sinatra

Muad'Dib

I've been wondering this for a long time, but we know that Johnny and Sinatra had a very friendly relationship and worked together a couple together a couple of times, in None But The Brave and the song The Same Hello, The Same Goodbye.

I believe Johnny has mentioned that he arranged and conducted some concerts for Frankie, so I was mostly curious if we know of these concerts our Johnny conducted? I haven't been able to find anything online, but maybe someone else knows something we don't.

It's merely curiosity. It would be nice to see him conducting one of his concerts, or hear some of the arrangements he did for him.

On another note, I find it puzzling that he never invited Frankie to sing with the Pops.

One of the very best BPO albums! Criminally underrated on this board, but I love this to bits!

51EKcCnZ%2BxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think it has more to do with the fact that despite JW conducting the Boston Pops this album doesn't have any JW music on it. ;)

Btw are the arrangements on that album by JW?

No Williams arrangements on that disc, but still a wonderful one.

I believe there was a concert Williams conducted in LA for Sinatra, at the Bowl or the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion... Can't recall where I read that, but I remember seeing some article with that mentioned.

One of the very best BPO albums! Criminally underrated on this board, but I love this to bits!

51EKcCnZ%2BxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think it has more to do with the fact that despite JW conducting the Boston Pops this album doesn't have any JW music on it. ;)

Btw are the arrangements on that album by JW?

As Miguel said, no, unfortunately arrangements are not by JW. Some were done by Angela Morley. But I can't help but feel that JW still worked on the pieces (a little); at least he approved them... :)

Still, I love this album! Incredibly well-played by the BPO... Great listen if you are in the right light-hearted mood!

• 3 weeks later...

That reminded me to order this album. Had been meaning to for that song for a long time. Plus, his recording of "Send in the Clowns" on there is great too.

• 8 years later...
11 hours ago, Junion said:

If you didn`t know it yet. John Williams was also session pianist along with Bill Miller on three tracks of the amazing Sinatra album "Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely"!

https://sinatraology.com/person/view/870

Sinatra is my third musical passion after JW and Edvard Grieg. I had no idea about this connection! Guess I’m not a real fan…  :lol: