Star Trek Into Darkness SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Star Trek Into Darkness has now opened in Australia. If you've seen it and want to discuss it, post here! If you want to discuss spoilers online from reviews or other postings of people who have seen it, do it here!

The existing thread is to remain spoiler free, and can continue to be used to discuss the trailers, posters, pictures, magazine articles, showtimes, etc, leading up to when you actually see it.

Enjoy!

ADMIN NOTE: HUGE SPOILERS BEGIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST CHANCE TO NOT BE SPOILED!!

I WARNED YOU!!!!

God dammit. Scroll through one thread on another site unassumingly and someone has revealed the villain.

It's Khan.

I refuse to believe this.

As for Pike, well, I assume he dies in the headquarters attack. You can see Kirk grieving there at the end of the last trailer.

Dude, it's being cross-confirmed by different people across the internet. It's true.

Kirk's death ties into the "I can save her." Cumberbatch line at the beginning of the 9-minute preview.

It also ties into the blood being drawn photo Jason posted in the other thread. Khan's blood seems to have Jesus powers.

AKA: Kirk will be back.

I'm surprised no one picked up on it, Entertainment Weekly accidentally spilled the beans a few month ago with a cover online.

It's still different and so far the reviews have been positive.

Not as positive as '09. But I can't tell if that's because it's the die-harders being anal.

Does this mean they can reproduce that thing from now on and make medical miracles that they should already know how to do because Khan is from the past, or it will be only for Kirk and then the whole idea destroyed because writers live in the Middle Ages?

I just read the entire plot of the film. It reads like random fanfiction. Which I guess it's what it is, but...

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

just read the entire plot of the film. It reads like random fanfiction. Which I guess it's what it is, but...

Its funny how The Hobbit shares this same quality.

I just wanna say, I nailed it (until point 4):

I think the gist of the plot will play out something like this (possible spoilers?)

0. Starfleet/Federation have gone USA paranoid after the events with Rogue Nero. A big chunk of the fleet was obliterated by one crazed man. Organizations like Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31 have been given greater reign to prepare Starfleet for such threats.

1. At some point prior to the film Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31 has found the old Earth augments. With its mandate to protect Earth and the fleet, it begins utilizing a few of the augments (of which Harrison is one) as advanced agents. The giant ship seen in the film is part of the defense project. However there is a lot of resistance to the program from within the Federation/Starfleet.

2. The attack on London and the Starfleet meeting is actually perpetrated by Admiral Marcus, Section 31 in collusion with John Harrison. An "inside job" to convince Starfleet of the necessity of the broad reach of Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31.

3. Harrison is actually playing Admiral Marcus and co. He just wants to bring back Khan. He doesn't care about the Starfleet Intelligence plan (Or he IS Khan...and wants all of his men awake).

4. The film is a set up for the next one. This movie without a doubt will end with a cliffhanger. I'm 99.99% certain.

just read the entire plot of the film. It reads like random fanfiction. Which I guess it's what it is, but...

Its funny how The Hobbit shares this same quality.

Yeah, that's what I thought!

Who knows if Kirk actually dies in the film. I think he would be back for the next sequel.

Seeing more of Harrison's ship makes me wanna actually destroy the damn thing. It's big, it's ugly and just plain BLAH! It looks like a bastardization of a Klingon Bird Of Prey and the Enterprise.

I'll actually be surprised if Section 31 is directly mentioned, or maybe slightly mentioned.... IE: "Separate organiziation of Starfleet" but not directly mentioned.

Perhaps that meeting was something to setup Section 31. Although, I don't know if Kirk would condone(sp?) with something like Section 31 being associated with Starfleet Command.

Well, the eugenics episodes of Enterprise help make the augments more important to Starfleet than just the events of Space Seed and TWOK. Especially if the Klingons are involved. I just hope the screenwriters understood that Khan was not awoken with an inherent hatred of Kirk. That hate stewed over time as his wife and comrades died on their marooned wasteland planet. Khan won't even meet that cute little history officer in this time line, unless the prime time line continues to influence this one.

I think it's time to give Of Gods and Men its shot.

Talk about awful fan fiction.

JJ has earned a break from me. As a life long Trekkie I really enjoyed the 2009 trek. I'll hold judgement until I see the film. It still has a lot of potential and let's be frank, each trek film has recycled its self over and over prior to Abrams coming on board.

It may have some similarities to TWOK, but it's still different.

Sooo who wrote the coolest Khan music? :whistle:

I can't wait to hear the full score.

are you even serious

are you even serious

+1

are you even serious

I'm just being provocative, although I admit I don't worship Horner's score.

Gia seems to be going in a different direction. His music might sound a bit more suspenseful, scarier.

Alexander Courage. ;)

;)

are you even serious

I'm just being provocative, although I admit I don't worship Horner's score.

Gia seems to be going in a different direction. His music might sound a bit more suspenseful, scarier.

Giacchino's music seems like it'll work effectively in context, building up the needed suspense. But on album, it won't be as interesting, or age very well with time.