Star Trek Into Darkness SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

The entire last act was lazy.

Agreed 100%. Having read some other comments online it was a lot tougher to take on my second viewing. I actually loved it quite a bit on my first viewing, with only some initial possible misgivings with regard to the later handling of Khan, but it's tough to take now. Maybe a third viewing will help me put it all in perspective. But they just drop everything they've done with Khan throughout the film, and where the fuck is the rest of Starfleet when you've got two Federation ships going at it right by Earth? Oy vey.

and where the fuck is the rest of Starfleet when you've got two Federation ships going at it right by Earth? Oy vey.

Dead or in the hospital. ;)

Actually that's a problem inherent in the entire franchise, the Enterprise is the only ship capable of defending earth it seems.

"I died" would have been BRILLIANT.

I'm good for an original thought every now and then.

Sent from Tapatalk

"I died" would have been BRILLIANT.

Yes. Elegant, ironic, and a better means of referencing the prior story.

The Spock cameo was terrible.

The more I think on it, the less I like it. This was clearly a case of trying to find a way to pop him in for face value on the cheap (this time, it was surely a one-day shoot). There's no real reason to do this—especially when the entire conversation plays on a contradiction. "I swore I would never tell you anything. Your destiny is your own. However, having said that, let me tell you everything you want to know."

and where the fuck is the rest of Starfleet when you've got two Federation ships going at it right by Earth? Oy vey.

Dead or in the hospital. ;)

Actually, no. I originally had the same thought when Earth's orbit seemed remarkably ship-free (again!): Most of Starfleet's command crews (captains and execs) were killed in Khan's attack, right? Except . . . the two Abrams films have demonstrated multiple times how easy it is to find replacements for these officers. Hell, Pike took an officer who'd been suspended by Starfleet and promoted him to first officer the moment things got dicey. You have to believe that there's a bevy of lieutenant commanders and such who could step up in this kind of crisis situation to lead the fleet. They don't even have to head out to space; it's all happening on the doorstep, fercryinoutloud.

- Uni

(this time, it was surely a one-day shoot).

Less than that - It was a 4 hour shoot, and it was done at Nimoy's house!

You're forgetting the prologue of Generations, where the incomplete Enterprise-B leaves Earth for Pluto but is the only ship available to rescue the El-Aurian refugees. And the fleet defending Earth in First Contact was lost until the Enterprise arrived.

well in Voyage Home the Enterprise isn't the only ship defending the Earth. In fact she doesn't exist to our knowledge at that point.

In First Contact the Earth is being defended by a large number of ships, It just so happened that Picard's knowledge and connection to the Borg led to the Victory. With 737 episodes and films of Star Trek it really only happened very little.

well in Voyage Home the Enterprise isn't the only ship defending the Earth. In fact she doesn't exist to our knowledge at that point.

In First Contact the Earth is being defended by a large number of ships, It just so happened that Picard's knowledge and connection to the Borg led to the Victory. With 737 episodes and films of Star Trek it really only happened very little.

From what I've read in the past The Enterprise definitely didn't "exist" yet in The Voyage Home. A new refit or just brand new built Constitution Refit that was originally going to be the U.S.S. Yorktown was rechristened to the Enterprise-A. That's why they were able to get a new Enterprise so fast. This was even Gene Roddenberry's idea. That's why too the Enterprise-A had a ton of problems via Star Trek V because it was brand new.

Actually the Yorktown was hailed by Admiral Cartwright and she got disabled by the probe. It probably was eventually tractored back into Spacedock after the probe most likely restored its power. Then she was rechristened to the Enterprise-A but because the probe really crippled her she had a lot of problems.

Edit: Info on the Yorktown http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Yorktown_%2823rd_century%29

It's still enough to make you wonder if all the other Starfleet ships' adventures are as exciting, or NOPE just the Enterprise.

Well the Defiant had some nice adventures, the Valiant did as well though both were ultimately destroyed. Voyager had a 7 year adventure. The Yamato didn't get much, nor did the Odyssey, they got exploded.

Enterprise B and C didn't get as much excitement it seems.

This was...okay, I guess. For a dumb, loud summer action movie, that is. This is what Star Trek has become.The storyline was completely stupid like in the last one, the script is awful. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel for any of these characters, although new McCoy, Scotty and occasionally Kirk are fun. It's a bunch of running around, shooting, blowing shit up, yelling and supervillain showdowns. Again. Will I ever watch it again? Probably not.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen it

The cast is good (specially Cumberbatch), so are the special effects. But the plot is so filled with ridiculous contrivances, it goes against the rules created within its own universe, relies so often on last minute rescues, downright steals so many elements from a far superior movie. I was constantly rolling my eyes at so much displayed stupidity. I really do hope JJ is better than this and that he's being dragged down by his team of awful screenwriters, that thankfully will have nothing to do with Star Wars.

Waste of time and money

Stefan and I discussed Tom Hardy portraying Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek After Darkness or whatever the sequel will be called.

• 3 weeks later...