Ron Jones' The Best Of Both Worlds (New GNP Crescendo CD 2013) Star Trek The Next Generation

crocodile

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I bought the original with the box set, so I'll have to decide whether I want to double dip. But I can't wait to watch the episode on the big screen.

Yea, GNP essentially confirmed it in the comments, and that Insurrection was coming later

I think I'm not alone when I say that we Ron Jones music lovers would LOVE a remastered re-release of his score to that two-parter.
Well, you might want to watch this space next week.
OK... why not... but Insurrection would be far more important.
It's just the way it worked out.

Best of Both Worlds Expanded Edition will be available mid-May, exact date to be confirmed. Thanks to Lukas Kendall for production and Mark Banning for art

531847_567306049967086_2044686278_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567306049967086&set=a.380030525361307.111079.252947504736277&type=1&theater

Mark Banning is really hit or miss

I agree, with TBOBW I actually dig the artwork. Although, I will probably make my own for my iPod once I get the set.

From what I was told this is supposed to be the real full score, nothing missing at all from it. It might be an actual 2-CD set, not entirely certain. As we've seen not much info has been given on it...yet.

Either way glad that Insurrection was basically confirmed, I'll get that in a heart beat!

I hope they fix some of the digital errors for some of the original album material for TBOBW.

Either way glad that Insurrection was (basically) confirmed.

Yeah, I am really interested in hearing if they were able to use a dryer mix (like Matessino was saying)

Either way glad that Insurrection was (basically) confirmed.

Yeah, I am really interested in hearing if they were able to use a dryer mix (like Matessino was saying)

Agreed, I never cared for the mix on the original album.

I can't wait to hear the film version for "Inside The Collector / The Healing Process" with out sfx.

It's a shame Ron Jones didn't get to score a Trek movie.

One could make a strong argument that this is the best score written for TNG TV series.

• 2 weeks later...

Up for sale now at GNP Crescendo's site:

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=230

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds - Volume Two-Expanded Edition[GNPD 8083]
One of the undeniable highlights of television’s Star Trek: The Next GenerationTM (1997–1994) was the two-part episode, “The Best of Both Worlds” (the third-season cliffhanger and fourth-season opener). For composer Ron Jones, “The Best of Both Worlds” marked the apex of his impact on the first four seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation—a thrillingly dynamic symphonic score that fits the episodes like a glove. Jones’s achievement was so popular that it became only the second Next Generation soundtrack album released at the time of production.
Although the complete score is infused with Jones’s customary musical craft, the composer’s chilling theme for the Borg, often voiced by eerie synthesized chorus, dominates “The Best of Both Worlds.” It forms the basis for some of the score’s exciting action-oriented material. In the episodes’ quieter moments, Jones’ scoring is subtle yet melodic, with colors and harmonies chosen to evoke emotion without overpowering the onscreen drama.
GNP Crescendo’s 1991 soundtrack album from “The Best of Both Worlds,” containing the major cues from both episodes, was enormously popular. This Expanded Collector’s Edition, licensed by CBS Consumer Products, features the complete scores, adding the shorter, transitional moments that contain at least one piece of important thematic material missing from the original album. The 16-page booklet contains notes on both production and music by Lukas Kendall and John Takis—based on interviews with Jones and other primary source material.
“The Best of Both Worlds” is a testament to Jones’s remarkable talent and creative imagination—and to the unconquerable human spirit that is the essence of Star Trek. The Expanded Collector’s Edition CD is available for preorder, shipping beginning May 20th.
1. Star Trek: The Next Generation Main Title 1:49
PART I
2. New Providence 1:22
3. Not Ready / Job grabber / Early Worm / No Doubt 2:08
4. Preparations / What Do You Want? / Fatigue / Hansen's Message 2:12
5. Borg Engaged 1:13
6. First Attach / Looks / Tell It Like It Is 5:28
7. Contemplations 0:52
8. Borg Take Picard / Death Is Irrelevant / His Place 4:52
9. Away Team Ready / On The Borg Ship / Nodes 5:19
10. Captain Borg 3:55
Part I Total Time: 27:37
PART II
11. Energy Weapon Fails 3:16
12. Repairs / Humanity Taken 1:17
13. Contact Lost 0:39
14. Repairs Complete / Cemetery Of Dead Ships 2:06
15. Currents 0:56
16. Intervention 4:26
17. Sitting Ducks / Borg Reach Saturn 1:08
18. The Link 2:58
19. Sleep Command / Destruct Mode / Picard Is Back 6:24
20. Picard's Nightmare 1:04
Part II Total Time: 24:31
21. Star Trek: The Next Generation End Title (3rd Season, long version) 1:04
Total Disc Time: 55:12
This product will be in stock on Monday 20 May, 2013.

John Takis is on a roll!

Just too many Trek score and I am a little confuse. It is not duplicated with any LLL's set, right? I will order it until it's up on moviemusic.com, with TOS set and the two upcoming William's titles.

Just too many Trek score and I am a little confuse. It is not duplicated with any LLL's set, right? I will order it until it's up on moviemusic.com, with TOS set and the two upcoming William's titles.

GNP originally released this score back in the 90's. The FSM Ron Jones set had a few selected unreleased cues but not all of them. Lukas Kendall said that GNP wouldn't work with them on that score, even though he wanted the whole score on there.

This is the COMPLETE (nothing left out) score for the episode this time around. There is a weird digital error in "Captain Borg" on the original GNP album, hopefully this new release fixed it.

LLL released the complete score for Star The Motion Picture, Star Trek V The Final Frontier, a TNG set which contained music from several episodes and a DS9 set.

Intrada released the complete scores for Star Trek IV, Star Trek V (re-release) and Star Trek VI.

FSM released the complete scores for Star Trek II and Star Trek III.

GNP released the complete scores for Star Trek Generations and First Contact and now this. They pretty much confirmed the Star Trek Insurrection is coming..I assume this fall.

Well, personally I did not watch any Trek TV show, so don't know the different. I just don't want to miss anything but without buying any duplicate stuff (i.e. LLL TNG set and DS9 set). I will order this with the TOS set. And I've already got all the rest Trek score, even the Varese Trek 2009 2CD. Hope they will release a 2CD Trek 2013 as well.

Well, personally I did not watch any Trek TV show, so don't know the different. I just don't want to miss anything but without buying any duplicate stuff (i.e. LLL TNG set and DS9 set). I will order this with the TOS set. And I've already got all the rest Trek score, even the Varese Trek 2009 2CD. Hope they will release a 2CD Trek 2013 as well.

If you don't have the original album of The Best Of Both Worlds then you'll be good to go.

Strange that someone who doesn't watch any Star Trek TV show is so hellbent on getting all the music. I plan to watch all of TOS before I try to tackle LLL's box set in great detail, but I digress. It's all good music if you enjoy it.

I've got all the classic BSG albums but found the show... Difficult to watch.

I'll need to unload my original BOBW that I bought with the Ron Jones box.

Sooooo ordered this as well. Sorry but GNP doesn't have autograph copies of Mr. Jones?

Only w/Buysoundtrax.com?

Someone mentioned to contact Mr. Ford Thaxton via FB.

But if anyone here knows about this info I would appreciate it.

Thanks folks.

I just got the following email from GNP about The Best Of Both Worlds.

"Due to regrettable oversight the ship date for the new Best of Both Worlds is looking more likely to be Friday 24th May, as opposed to the Monday 20th we originally planned for. If we get our hands on the product before then, we will begin shipping immediately."

I've got all the classic BSG albums but found the show... Difficult to watch.

Indeed! I recall having loved BSG when it first came out (I was in high school back then). A couple of years ago I happened to catch what was my favorite episode back in the day. This time around I found it to be unwatchable.

The music however still moves me and I enjoy it very much.

Why exactly is this called "Volume Two"? Is the old, non-complete release supposed to be "Volume One"? Very confusing...

Maybe the previous release is volume 1?

Karol

We're going in circles here ;)

Nice for those who don't have it but it's not that good that I'll be double dipping.

Try someone like me who had to triple dip. I have the original album and the Ron Jones FSM set. I don't care because this is my second favorite TNG episode score and have been wanting it in complete form for A LONG time.

First favorite TNG score is "Yesterday's Enterprise".

• 2 weeks later...

UGH, I am NOT happy! According to tracking my CD was delivered this morning. However, when dad checked the mail this afternoon he said there was NO CD. I got to call the post office (hoping they're open) first thing in the morning and find out what the hell happened. I hope the delivery person didn't put it in the wrong box...

If anything I'll email GNP and request a replacement.

• 5 months later...

Hey all I was wondering about the 21 second mark for "New Providence" is there a bit of a volume jump on everyone else' copy? You may have to listen to slightly before that point in order to tell.