John Williams' ROSEWOOD (1997) - 2013 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

filmmusic

I think this piece of news deserves a thread of its own, although it was mentioned in the lalaland thread.

from their facebook page:

May 21 will bring two soundtracks – one from the world of television and one from the world of film:

ROSEWOOD – expanded 2 cd set of one of John Williams most emotional scores. This release marks the first in a series of soundtracks set to come out this year in celebration of Warner Bros 90th Anniversary.

For anyone that hasn't seen the film, I found it pretty good!

Hmmm, interesting

It's not one of my favorite OST's but there must be a lot of unreleased music .I hope it's not a bunch of songs though

I've never seen the film

I am totally unfamiliar with both the score and film. Looking forward to it!

It's a brilliant score. I've never seen the film, I wonder how much was missing from the old album.

I am totally unfamiliar with both the score and film. Looking forward to it!

It's a brilliant score. I've never seen the film, I wonder how much was missing from the old album.

On a rough estimate I would say 1/3 of the score is missing, But I'm not entirely sure..

By the way, the "Freedom Train" song (for anyone that likes it), is unused in the film.

Well, I think it's THE most overlooked JW scores around here.Surely not many Rosewood threads in the JWfan archives

I've never thought it could be expanded

It's not a reissue/re-release.

Uh, yes it is, the original album was released, than it was re-released in expanded form.

Disc 1 is the Complete Instrumental Score, and is FULL to the brim! Disc 2 features the complete original OST, which people might not realize had a few alternates in it. It's a good thing too, as there was no room for the alternates on the first disc!

Jeff Bond's spectacular liner notes explain what's what, of course!

Dan Goldwasser's art direction is top notch, and as far as the presentation of the music itself goes, it's as perfect of a presentation as you would expect from Mike Matessino!

Don't miss out on this one!

@Faleel

oh ok.

I take as a re-release, an exact release of a previous released album.

@Jason

So, the alternates will be part of the album presentation in Disc 2? Not as individual pieces in Disc 1 too?

Because in the album presentation many cues are edited together..

edit: Oh, now I noticed your post more carefully. They won't be in Disc 1 as individual pieces..

Its the most recent JW score to be reissued/re-released right?

No. Rosewood is from 1997, and The Phantom Menace is from 1999.

Its the most recent JW score to be reissued/re-released right?

No. Rosewood is from 1997, and The Phantom Menace is from 1999.

I actually meant by label (earlier post is amended to reflect that)

Hmmm....peculiar choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love the score (both in the film and the soundtrack album), but the 'expansion' idea for this seems strange, even more than usual.

Hmmm....peculiar choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love the score (both in the film and the soundtrack album), but the 'expansion' idea for this seems strange, even more than usual.

Thor. It is not as if the labels have their pick of any score they want, and choose based on their own personal criteria, or the fans. it's all a combination of what's available, what's economically feasible, and how willing the studio is to have a CD released.

Hmmm....peculiar choice.

Thor. It is not as if the labels have their pick of any score they want, and choose based on their own personal criteria, or the fans. it's all a combination of what's available, what's economically feasible, and how willing the studio is to have a CD released.

yeah, I'm sure many would prefer a complete A.I. than a complete Rosewood. or even something else..

Let's not clutter up this thread with what could have been released, and instead stick to discussion of this release.

There are always more great titles in the works.

Well, I have no opinon on an expansion, but I'm up for a discussion of the score itself....not often talked about.

I particularly love "Look Down Lord", which was originally written by Williams (but sounds like an existing deep south hymn). It taps into Williams' socalled religious sound, which is my favourite sound of his.

Well this was a surprise. Likewise, the score never entered my mind as a candidate for expansion.

Jason, are there other appearances of the Scrappie & Mann Bond theme? I love that theme^^.

And can we expect instrumental versions of the songs?

Thanks,

I'm not sure I would characterize the score as "brilliant," as Marian does -- in fact, I think it's rather uneven -- but it has some interesting ideas, and Williams's takes on the Negro spiritual are quite admirable.

Completely unexpected but a nice surprise! I actually revisited this score recently and found it even better than I remembered it. Again an awesome move from LLL. :)

Makes you wonder what other Warner Bros JW titles might be coming out in the near future.

Time was kind to ROSEWOOD. What seemed like an uncharacteristically weak main theme in '97 seems much more alluring today. If the 50 minutes of the Sony album are sufficient - i am almost sure they are, but if it needs a new release to give this one boost among collectors, i'm all for it. It sure is fragmented, but taps Williams' talents in long untapped areas; he seems to dig this style, though.

Excellent! Not high on my wanted expansions list - but looking forward to this for sure. And it's good news that LLL is looking into the lesser-talked about Williams scores too!

Completely unexpected but a nice surprise! I actually revisited this score recently and found it even better than I remembered it. Again an awesome move from LLL. :)

Makes you wonder what other Warner Bros JW titles might be coming out in the near future.

Empire of the Sun? Witches of Eastwick?

Karol - who likes Rosewood.

One can hope. Both would be brilliant. :)

I wonder if they will make mention of the unused score by Wynton Marsalis in the liner notes, which was rejected when JW agreed to do the film. From what I have heard from samples of Marsalis' effort, that he released on an album called Reeltime his music was near diegetic instead of dramatic scoring.

Jason, are there other appearances of the Scrappie & Mann Bond theme? I love that theme^^.

There are approx. 6 appearances of this theme, all in the first half of the film.

I hust hope the cues are in chronological order and not like Hook.

A.I., the Potter's(!!!!!)

Great news about the release :) Im definitely buying this.

This is a great news, imho. It's one of the most underrated JW scores from that period and an album I returned to quite often since then. Other than the Negro spirituals (all done with taste and authenticity), there are some lovely "rural" stylings that could recall some parts of The River, with great passages for solo guitar (by the great Dean Parks), harmonica and fiddle.

I saw the film only once a few years ago and I remember several interesting unreleased cues. As Jason said, I too noticed that some pieces on the album are alternate/concert versions (like the Main Titles, which is quite different to the film version).

It's interesting to note that JW came to this project at the last minute as a replacement to Wynton Marsalis' rejected score (which was then issued by Sony on a CD called Reeltime).

The three songs are all a cappella pieces (i.e. no instrumental accompaniment).

That was a different situation. If my memory serves, Hook was approved by Williams.

like the Main Titles, which is quite different to the film version.

If you're referring to the 1st track of the album, that's not the Main Titles. it's the end credits. They have just pasted the solo bass intro from the main titles (first 30 seconds or so).

This is brilliant! "Rosewood" is one of JW's forgotten scores, with only a handful of people having heard of it, never mind owning it.

"Look Down, Lord" is ecpecially good.

Another replacement score gets the treatment that it deserves. Way-to-go, La La Land.

Speaking of which, I never got around to hearing Marsalis' original score -- which I believe was released under a different name (i.e. not the film's name). Is it any good?

If you hear it in the film you'll hear it on the CD!

The songs have no instruments...

I wonder if they will make mention of the unused score by Wynton Marsalis in the liner notes, which was rejected when JW agreed to do the film. From what I have heard from samples of Marsalis' effort, that he released on an album called Reeltime his music was near diegetic instead of dramatic scoring.

Yes, Jeff Bond's liner notes of course mention Wynton Marsalis' score and why John Singleton rejected it

This is a Mike Matessino presentation. 100% chronological.

(like the Main Titles, which is quite different to the film version).

Track 1 of the original OST is actually only a tiny bit of the opening titles, the rest of the track is the End Credits.

The OST tracks that contain alternates are "The Hounds of Sumner", "Trouble In Town", "Aunt Sarah's Death", and "The Town Burns"

One of my top 10 JW scores, looking forward to this one a lot.

The Witches Of Eastwick was ruined by Perseverance reissuing the old album, remember? MV stated that that wanted to do it but now can't until that one sells out, which it probably won't since CDs will most likely be gone by then.

Wait a minute! I didn't know about that!

This is the original rejected score of the Rosewood? Wow!

Yes Wynton Marsalis' score was rejected and JW wrote a replacement.

Wait a minute! I didn't know about that!

This is the original rejected score of the Rosewood? Wow!

Yes Wynton Marsalis' score was rejected and JW wrote a replacement.

yeah, I knew there was a rejected score.

The thing I didn't know is who wrote it and that it was released under another name.