John Williams' ROSEWOOD (1997) - 2013 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

filmmusic

Interesting, I always figured disc 1 was complete. 

I know contractually they weren't allowed to include anything except an exact repressing of the OST on disc 2. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, in that case they could have done more.

It sounds absolutely good to my ears as it is!

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I strongly disagree, for my own listening preference at least.

I tried to get into disc 1 so hard when the set was selling out but just couldn't, so I let it go. I listened to the OST some time after that and immediately fell in love!

On 4/26/2013 at 6:25 AM, Thor said:

Speaking of which, I never got around to hearing Marsalis' original score -- which I believe was released under a different name (i.e. not the film's name). Is it any good?

I wonder if he could have gotten away with.that in.todays climate?😜I

"....the unused score by Wynton Marsalis ...which was rejected when JW agreed to do the film....."

11 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

From a quick sampling of a few tracks, it sounds like source music from an upscale restaurant. No wonder it was rejected.

Yes if the Marsalis' album Reeltime is truly the rejected music for the film, I wonder if there was a very different idea for the scoring approach when Marsalis was still onboard  that was then deemed unusable or was there some serious miscommunication between the composer and Singleton in terms of the spotting and style of the score. It could also be another case where John Williams became available and SIngleton opted to use some of Marsalis' music as diegetic source music and hire Williams to do the dramatic scoring.

The complete score combined with the extra material from the OST  (which is indeed well put together), especially the three gospels, is my preferred listening experience of this score. There are many such wonderful little musical moments in the complete score that I feel add to the whole.

Can anyone recommend a disc 1 + 2 assembly that combines all the material Williams recorded for the film, sans any duplicate cues/material?

I haven't listened to the OST, truthfully. Sounds like I need to change that.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Can anyone recommend a disc 1 + 2 assembly that combines all the material Williams recorded for the film, sans any duplicate cues/material?

I haven't listened to the OST, truthfully. Sounds like I need to change that.

I posted my mostly chronological playlist on page 5 of this discussion.

10 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I posted my mostly chronological playlist on page 5 of this discussion.

Brilliant, thanks mate! I'll do a custom edit and follow your guide.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, Disco Stu said:

Marsalis' Rosewood score was a snoozefest.  I say this as someone who generally likes his original compositions pretty well.

Agreed.

• 1 year later...

I've returned to Rosewood recently for my research and am looking at the spirituals specifically. Am I correct in assuming Williams wrote the lyrics for these himself? I haven't seen any of his typical collaborators credited. 

It is unfortunate that we have to edit two film versions ourselves if we want a truly accurate complete release. Hopefully someday someone is able to re-release this. It totally deserves it

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

It is unfortunate that we have to edit two film versions ourselves if we want a truly accurate complete release. Hopefully someday someone is able to re-release this. It totally deserves it

Which cues/tracks are you talking about?

The two cues with vocal performances that are only on the original album.

Aunt Sarah’s Death is the OST cue with vocals that relates to the vocal-less Sarah is Shot.

The Town Burns is the OST cue with vocals that relates to the vocal-less Burning Town.

6 hours ago, ConorPower said:

I've returned to Rosewood recently for my research and am looking at the spirituals specifically. Am I correct in assuming Williams wrote the lyrics for these himself? I haven't seen any of his typical collaborators credited. 

He did, yea

4 hours ago, Chewy said:

Which cues/tracks are you talking about?

The disc 1 track "Sarah Is Shot / Attack on the House" features "Sarah Is Shot" without the Vocal Overlay; The OST album track "Aunt Sarah's Death" contains "Sarah Is Shot" with that Vocal Overlay included

The disc 1 track "Burning Town / Sylvester Joins The Group" features "Burning Town" without the Vocal Overlay; The OST album track "The Town Burns" contains "Burning Town" with that Vocal Overlay included

Also, the OST track "The Hounds of Sumner" contains an alternate version of the "Arresting Aaron" cue

Plus, of course, the OST contains "Look Down, Lord", "Light My Way", and "The Freedom Train" that are not on Disc 1 at all.