John Williams' ROSEWOOD (1997) - 2013 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

filmmusic

I guess Williams' "inherited" Shirley Caesar from Marsalis' ensemble for the score.

I'm not sure I would characterize the score as "brilliant," as Marian does -- in fact, I think it's rather uneven -- but it has some interesting ideas, and Williams's takes on the Negro spiritual are quite admirable.

It's not one of those Williams scores that I know from beginning to end like the back of my hand. It's one of my favourites of his drama scores though. I dig the guitar writing, and the gospel songs sound so authentic (to me) that it's hard to believe that they're original Williams compositions - which makes them only more impressive. So I stand by my rating. :)

Speaking of remastering Rosewood album. I'm not sure there is any need to do that, it sounds fantastic.

Absolutely. I just hope the new version doesn't sound less good.

A few of Marsalis' contributions survived in the final mix btw, as source music pieces.

Ah so I was right in thinking that. I had a vague recollection of seeing a mention of that somewhere, most likely the film's credits. But to be frank I think Marsalis' score sounds like source music most of its running time.

Yeah, I know about the CD too.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard the whole Marsalis CD, and what they thought of it -- compared to the Williams.

Yeah, I know about the CD too.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard the whole Marsalis CD, and what they thought of it -- compared to the Williams.

If you compare the Reeltime album with Williams' work for the film you could say the former lacks actual dramatic impetus of a film score. There is a completely different approach in Marsalis' music, not necessarily a bad one but it doesn't at least to my ear strike a very dramatic chord film music wise.

I have the CD though I haven't listened to it for a long time now... But I did enjoy it.

It is indeed a nice collection of Southern moods with a wide range of cultural influences and folk music stylings.

If you compare the Reeltime album with Williams' work for the film you could say the former lacks actual dramatic impetus of a film score. There is a completely different approach in Marsalis' music, not necessarily a bad one but it doesn't at least to my ear strike a very dramatic chord film music wise.

Thanks!

So, are people on this board really buying this? is this music "intensely desired"?

Reading all of this is already tiring. I can't imagine how tedious it would be listening to this.

So, are people on this board really buying this? is this music "intensely desired"?

Reading all of this is already tiring. I can't imagine how tedious it would be listening to this.

Oh yes I am definitely going to buy this. No question about it.

No, I'm not buying it, but I doubt that comes as a surprise to anyone.

What this news has done, however, is to play the original soundtrack again.

It would never have occurred to me that it needed expanding, that's for sure.

Possible purchase - the unreleased material would need to be very notable.

Will this include his rejected score for The Color Purple?

Very funny....;)

Actually, if this film (and score) was to be paired with anything, it would have to be CONRACK. CONRACK and ROSEWOOD both star Jon Voight as the only white man in a black community trying to do his best to overcome the prejudice and difficulties of the time. And both are scored by John Williams.

Conrack is Fox, Rosewood is Warner Bros

True. It's not like it would ever happen. But the similarities between the two are quite interesting.

It's not the kind of score you listen to very often, though. I wonder how many people will actually discover it through this set. Given how obscure it is even here, it might be quite an ear opener for many people.

Karol

Do we know how large will the pressing be? 2000? 3000? 3500 units?

It's not the kind of score you listen to very often, though. I wonder how many people will actually discover it through this set. Given how obscure it is even here, it might be quite an ear opener for many people.

Karol

I wouldn't say it's obscure, at least not compared to some of those old 60's things I like to talk about. But it isn't often talked about, that's true.

Karol

I wouldn't say it's obscure, at least not compared to some of those old 60's things I like to talk about. But it isn't often talked about, that's true.

That's what I meant.

Do we know how large will the pressing be? 2000? 3000? 3500 units?

My money is on 3000.

Karol

Forget bathroom tiles! With 250 you'll make a killing at eBay! Don't you know that Rosewood is the secret holy grail of thousands of film score fans. Trust me! It's the best investment you'll ever make. Millions will be coming your way! Buy now! Don't wait!

Just adding to the conversation: not a great movie (save for Don Cheadle and Bruce McGill, who are always good), but a fantastic score! "Look Down, Lord" is great.

Wow this looks like an awesome set. Beautiful cover design (yet again) and I am glad they used the original cover image. :)

I can't wait to listen to this!

I wouldn't mind if they did similar WB 90th birthday sets for Empire of the Sun and JFK. ;)

I really hope that both EMPIRE OF THE SUN and JFK get a good remaster and an expansion some day soon. Also BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY needs to get a proper expansion as well. Not seen that film in ages but Im sure there must be more unrelased music on that one.

Really looking forward to the ROSEWOOD expansion. I like the earthy home and hearth feel in the music and the love theme really resonates well; and good cues were all missed on the OST. Good to know all the gospel songs are on the 2nd disc.

Whoa! Looks like a lot of previously unreleased music. I had my doubts at first, but now it looks like an essential upgrade.

Does it mean all the songs do not appear on the first disc at all?

Karol

Does it mean all the songs do not appear on the first disc at all?

Karol

I was just about to ask the same question. Looks like either they are re-named or they only appear on disc 2. Can you shed any light on this Jason?

if the are not on disc 1 it must be because they dont fit (CD filled up to 78 minutes)

Otherwise maybe the film versions are different recordings hence have a different name.

As long as everything is included i'm fine :P. its makes the OST more worthy to listen too :)

if the are not on disc 1 it must be because they dont fit (CD filled up to 78 minutes)

This.

This.

Thanks for the answer. Makes perfect sense.

I think this presentation makes more sense than making a fully complete score just to have disc 2 start with two or three score cues (finale and end credits, basically) and then the OST. It would have been odd.

It's the best presentation they could have done, and after all, adding the songs is easy on itunes and the like where most of us listen to music.

the only problem i see in this... is if the score and OST materials come fro different sources. Then we wont have the songs in the same mix-quality as the rest of the main score... but im sure that with a modern score everything will be newly remixed from the same source :)

How different is the film mix from the album mix?

Rosewood is one of those William scores I'm not so fond of, like Angela's Ashes and Stepmom. I've also never seen the movie which i admit may color my opinion.

It is a little disappointing that we are getting the OST version as well, though I understand why they have too.

It's the best presentation they could have done, and after all, adding the songs is easy on itunes and the like where most of us listen to music.

I agree. Even though I really like the songs, the score only disc 1 is a great solution as well.

Karol

Although I'm grateful for this release, i would like to just comment on something (i hope you don't take it as a negative attitude, but I always try to see what could be even better).

We have 2 cds, 1st is the complete film score, and the 2nd is the original album, right?

Now, in those tracks of the 2nd cd, there are hiding some alternate cues of their film versions in disc 1. (the ost tracks are sometimes many cues edited together).

i would really prefer, if instead of the ost, we had the individual alternates.

I mean, if you listen to a film cue in the first cd, and then you want to hear what is its alternate, then you have to search inside a track in the 2nd cd .

I am not sure if this sounds logical to you..

Dude there are like less than 5 minutes of alternates. And they were likely contractually obliged to include the entire original OST, untouched.

oh, ok.. I didn't know that..

Still, i never liked album presentations of cues.

Concert versions yes, but i don't like when 2-3 cues from different parts of a score are edited together in album tracks..

And they were likely contractually obliged to include the entire original OST, untouched.

Why is that?