Joseph Williams impersonates his dad

Jay

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

It does, yes. I saw the film ages ago, on a CD-R, but I it's on Youtube in its entirety now, for those interested. They've changed the last names of the characters, but kept the real first names of the family (Jenny, Jay, Barbara).

When you remember more stories from Williams life, write to this topic. Thank You! 

Well, I lost all my Williams research a couple of years ago in a harddrive crash, but I have most of it stored in my head, and I'm starting to put the pieces back together again on paper as well. I want to save most of this information for my long-gestating book project, but sure -- if it's relevant in a thread, I can chime in with a piece of information or two. :) 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, Thor said:

Well, he returned in 2010, and is the current lead singer. Also, he wasn't kicked out, but left due to personal problems at the time (the late 80s was a very turbulent time for the Williams family -- John had his back problems all through 1988, Jennifer had a stroke in 1989 and Mark was struggling with addiction issues around this time).

My brother was (and still is, though in a lesser degree) a huge Toto fan and I'm pretty sure he told me that Joseph was indeed kicked out due to some addiction problem. Naturally, the source of his information might have been wrong all the time, but that's what I've known for decades.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, John Williams' back problems forced him to take a year off from many conducting gigs in 1988. He seems to have managed THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST (his only film score that year), but it's a very low-key score to begin with. Of his four short concert pieces that premiered this year, "Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds" was not conducted by him, and neither was "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis". Not sure about "Olympic Spirit" (more of a TV theme than a concert piece) and "To Lenny! To Lenny!" (aka "For New York"), and who conducted them.

"To Lenny! To Lenny!" is part of the multi composer piece "Leonard Bernstein's Birthday Bouquet" first released in complete form a couple of years ago in a recording by the Orquestra Sinfónica do Estado de São Paulo, Brasil, under Marin Alsop. The premiere took place at Tanglewood during the season long celebration of Bernstein's 70th birthday, with the Boston Symphony under Seiji Ozawa. Williams was in attendance and a few days later was one of the conductors and pianists for the Bernstein's 70th Birthday Gala.

The Olympic Spirit was premiered earlier that year, during the Pops season, on May 3, with Williams conducting the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall.

Thanks for the input, Miguel. So it seems Williams was 'up and about' for those two pieces, at least, in addition to TOURIST. Good to know he wasn't completely bed-ridden in 1988.

I suspected addiction problems for Joseph (much like his brother), but I've not been able to verify that anywhere. Wikipedia says he left on his own accord. I doubt we'll get any verified source anytime soon. 

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

I suspected addiction problems for Joseph (much like his brother), but I've not been able to verify that anywhere. Wikipedia says he left on his own accord. I doubt we'll get any verified source anytime soon.

Pretty sure I read interviews with Steve Lukather (or another member of the band) where he mentions that the band and Joseph agreed to part ways because his voice gave way while they were in the middle of a tour, due in large part to drug use.  

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the input, Miguel. So it seems Williams was 'up and about' for those two pieces, at least, in addition to TOURIST. Good to know he wasn't completely bed-ridden in 1988.

I remember reading an interview with Joseph where he admitted using drugs (back in the day) and that cocaine basically ruined his voice - and that he found out that he was out of Toto from their (then) manager. Will try to find that interview...he was also arrested in 1990 in one of the largest raids in LA - charged with drug possession and was released on bail (presumably paid by his father)
Great to hear his voice is back - I've watched a few concerts from 2019 - he sounded fantastic! 

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-secret-history-of-toto

This interview with Lukather, Paich, Steve Porcaro and Joseph Williams goes into a good deal of depth into the band.

And Joseph confirms that he left Toto because of drug issues.

And soon after, in an echo of what happened to Bobby Kimball, Williams was axed.

“I had a cocaine addiction,” he says. “Nothing abnormal. But as a singer, that’s the one substance you can’t do. It freezes your throat.”

The article also touches little bit on how his mother's death affected him.

When he was 13 his life was turned upside-down by the sudden death of his mother, the actress and singer Barbara Ruick. In the same year, his father became famous. It was a combination that messed with the young Joseph’s head. “I turned into a bad boy,” he says.

46 minutes ago, Dzadza said:

Great to hear his voice is back - I've watched a few concerts from 2019 - he sounded fantastic! 

You should hear him in this concert they filmed in Poland back in 2013!  He was electric that night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s021m2C7-aI

12 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Pretty sure I read interviews with Steve Lukather (or another member of the band) where he mentions that the band and Joseph agreed to part ways because his voice gave way while they were in the middle of a tour, due in large part to drug use.  

Yes, that account of the facts does sound familiar to me. Probably what my brother told me about years ago.

• 3 months later...