What themes do you expect to return in Star Wars Episode 7's score?

Jay

What themes do you expect to return in Star Wars Episode 7's score?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Major Themes

• Luke's Theme (aka Main Title Theme)
    • The Force Theme (aka Ben Kenobi's Theme)
    • The Rebel Fanfare
    • Princess Leia's Theme
    • The Imperial March (aka Darth Vader's Theme)
    • Han and Leia's Love Theme (aka Han Solo and the Princess)
    • Yoda's Theme
    • The Emperor's Theme
    • Jabba The Hutt's Theme
    • The Ewoks Theme (aka Parade of the Ewoks)
    • Luke and Leia
    • Anakin's Theme
    • Trade Federation March
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Across The Stars (aka Anakin and Padme's Love Theme)
    • Battle of the Heroes
  2. 2. Minor Themes

• The Imperial Theme (from Episode IV)
    • The Death Star Motif
    • The Jawa's Theme
    • The Droids Theme (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    • The Dark Side Motif (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    • Boba Fett's Theme
    • Lando's Theme
    • The Throne Room Motif
    • Jar Jar's Theme
    • Darth Maul's Motif
    • Qui-Gonn Jinn's Theme
    • Shmi's Theme
    • Coruscant Theme
    • Separatist's Theme
    • Kamino Theme
    • Grievous' Theme
    • (None of the Above)

OK let's assume for the sake of this poll/thread that Williams is scoring the film - which themes do you think are most likely to appear in Episode 7's score?

Obiviously Luke's Theme and The Force Theme will re-appear, there is NO question about that. I think after that, Princess Leia's Theme and Han and Leia's Love Theme are most likely to reappear. Williams used Princess Leia's Theme in Episode III and seems to be fond of it. He seems to have forgotten Han Solo and Leia's Love Theme entirely over the years, but I think it will finally return now.

I do wonder if he will use The Rebel Fanfare as the theme for The New Republic or will write a new one. And I wonder if Duel of the Fates will have any reason to reappear.

You'd think with Anakin/Vader, The Emperor, Yoda, Jabba, Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Qui-Gonn Jinn, Shmi, and Greivious all dead their themes won't reappear, but you never know - they might be re-purposed for new characters who embody their spirit.

I expect a ton of new themes actually, with only minor references to the older themes. Except The Force Theme, which I'm sure will appear about as often as it did in ROTS.

Done!

Be sure to post your thoughts as well as voting, everyone!

It's ironic that his greatest ever theme (Force theme) is what I'm most hoping to avoid entirely this time around, but it will probably be plastered all over it regardless.

That thing is PLAYED OUT. Sick to death of it, so much so I'll possibly lose all interest in this score if it is indeed heartily embraced by Abrams.

I'd prefer it if Williams or whoever else wrote a new theme for the mystical elements of the story.

I still love The Force Theme. I was very happy that Williams found ways to make it interesting again in Episode III. Wonderful theme.

I wonder if it will finally get a concert arrangement for Episode 7?

No amount of tinkering and messing around with arrangements could inject vigour into that exhausted old dog of a melody as far as I'm concerned. I bet more than anyone Williams is sick to the teeth of looking at new ways of orchestrating it by now. But no, they'll still wheel it out on cue, naturally.

Just voted for the original main themes. Since all the other characters are gone, I don't think their themes will be used. Also, JW doesnt have a tendency to rehash themes, but to reinvent himself and write new ones. Even the prequels didnt have to many references to the old themes.

Again, this is hard to answer without knowing who will do the scores. If it's JW, I would expect to see more of these than if it's Gia. (In fact, if it turns out to be the latter, I would be very surprised if we heard much of anything beyond the Main Theme and The Force motif.)

- Uni

I think the quasi-leitmotif approach has been played out. I think a more ambient, sound-design approach would breathe new life into the saga and shake up expectations about how a space opera should be scored.

Again, this is hard to answer without knowing who will do the scores. If it's JW, I would expect to see more of these than if it's Gia. (In fact, if it turns out to be the latter, I would be very surprised if we heard much of anything beyond the Main Theme and The Force motif.)

- Uni

Plus "Rebel Fanfare" in the end credits, if they were to go the traditional route with those, too.

I'm basically with Jason on these. Luke's Theme and The Force Theme are probably the only obvious givens to reappear at some point. Possibly one, two, or all three of the Leia-related themes could show up, depending on what opportunities there are in the film. Otherwise, I don't see anything else appearing, unless something comes up in the dialogue that might potentially justify a callback e.g. Luke recalls his teachings with Yoda, or there's a discussion about Vader or The Emperor.

I also feel like any of the action themes could show up again, depending on the degree of "temp-itis" that the film suffers...

If the Empire still remains (regarding how much EU they use....) the imperial march should be used. He may even use a gentle version of it... if the IMperial Remnant appears in its Galactic Alliance's allied nation version.

But since Jedi seems to show that the Empire died with the emperor... im not so sure.

The Emperor's theme could reappear...if the new evil is another Sith.

I expect maybe the Droids motif from ESB to appear when they are 1st show on the screen (i suppose, together and arguing...) reminiscent of ESB scene,

I think this movie may have a lot of 'reunion-return' shots...that may be scored with small old motifs... im not sure we want that, though.

I can see Luke's and the Force theme returning.

Depending on how the films go and what is requested of the composer attached, Leia's theme, Han and Leia's love theme and Luke and Leia could make small appearances.

The Imperial March could be hinted at, it just depends on what the subject matter of these films are. I don't see any of the minor themes coming back.

What is the Dark Side Motif from ESB?

I don't think JW uses Emperor's Theme this time... unless the villain is an Emperor's clone :P

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! That story concept is retarted (eg. SO stupid the word doesn't even deserve being spelled properly).

It appears in Han Solo and the Princess, The Magic Tree, Clash of Lightsabers, and Rescue From Cloud City.

I think the quasi-leitmotif approach has been played out. I think a more ambient, sound-design approach would breathe new life into the saga and shake up expectations about how a space opera should be scored.

Trent Reznor please get the hell out of here.

It appears in Han Solo and the Princess, The Magic Tree, Clash of Lightsabers, and Rescue From Cloud City.

Time stamps please!

I apologize, but I do not have any handy at the moment. IIRC, it appears under the Emperor's hologram

I guess I have to do it...what's the expression... the old fashioned way and listen to the score. ;)

Oooo . . . hanging out on a message board while you're working. Isn't that slightly unethical of you?

I'd give you the good finger-wagging lecture you deserve, but I don't have time to right now. Gotta get back to work. :sarcasm:

- Uni

The Dark Side Motif (1997 RCA 2CD Set timestamps)

Han Solo and the Princess 3:06-3:23

The Magic Tree 3:57-4:06

The Clash Of Lightsabers 0:08-0:40

Rescue From Cloud CIty 0:30-0:50

Funnily enough Inky, you've known about this theme for 8 years ;)

One theme I can't believe I forgot to put into the pole was the Victory Fanfare from ROTJ (it appears in Sail Barge Assault and Through The Flames). I could actually see that one coming back in Ep 7

I don't think we'll be hearing many (if any) themes from the prequels. Just a couple of the classics from the original trilogy. Other than that, I think Williams might try and paint a new canvas for this trilogy. Not quite like what he did to HP3, but something along those lines. New blood = new ideas = new musical directions to explore.

i notice you neglected to give us the option of the Sandpeople theme from Episode LXIV. A biased poll isn't likely to provide accurate results.

- Uni

i notice you neglected to give us the option of the Sandpeople theme from Episode I. A biased poll isn't likely to provide accurate results.

- Uni

A New Menace?

Aw, crap. Y'caught me, Faleel. (It's the REAL "Episode I"--the original. ;))

- Uni

Musically speaking, it's a pretty boring four-note motif. If Williams ends up scoring these, and if he still has the patience to look back on the old score to fish back the themes, I hope he's busy writing new stuff to rescue such an andoyne concept.

Musically speaking also, I think it's a great little motif, very tasty and used to great effect in Empire, it's very subtle and Williams couldn't have wrote anything better to plant in our minds preparing us for it's dark presentation in 'The Clash Of Lightsabers'.

It seems that Williams did revisit the idea, at least to me anyway, the basic idea of up a tone and down a minor third is fundamental to the melody of 'Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah'.

I find it very hard to believe it's only a coincidence.

Yeah, it works amazing within Empire Strikes Back. But outside it, it's just four notes, a generic "ominous threat looming" musical idea that is not really worth revisiting when constructing a new project.

I really doubt Williams remembered it when he wrote "Duel of the Fates".

why would the rebel theme return, the empire is dead, the need for rebels has passed.

why would Battle of the Hero's return, first there was no battle of heros, it was a battle of good verses bratty

second both participants are long dead.

Two reasons

1. The Rebel Fanfare has been used in the end credits of all 6 films

2. The Rebel Fanfare could be morphed into a theme for The New Republic.

Two reasons

1. The Rebel Fanfare has been used in the end credits of all 6 films

2. The Rebel Fanfare could be morphed into a theme for The New Republic.

I agree and think it could be indeed taken as a starting point of a new theme. :)

But on the whole I don't see many of the old themes returning, not unless the classic characters make some appearances.

Williams is also quite keen on composing something new (it is almost embarrasing how quick he has always been to point out that most of the music in the films is new with few quotes from the old material here and there) but I am sure he would use some of the older musical material and quoted his older themes if the director suggested that to him.