What themes do you expect to return in Star Wars Episode 7's score?

Jay

What themes do you expect to return in Star Wars Episode 7's score?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Major Themes

• Luke's Theme (aka Main Title Theme)
    • The Force Theme (aka Ben Kenobi's Theme)
    • The Rebel Fanfare
    • Princess Leia's Theme
    • The Imperial March (aka Darth Vader's Theme)
    • Han and Leia's Love Theme (aka Han Solo and the Princess)
    • Yoda's Theme
    • The Emperor's Theme
    • Jabba The Hutt's Theme
    • The Ewoks Theme (aka Parade of the Ewoks)
    • Luke and Leia
    • Anakin's Theme
    • Trade Federation March
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Across The Stars (aka Anakin and Padme's Love Theme)
    • Battle of the Heroes
  2. 2. Minor Themes

• The Imperial Theme (from Episode IV)
    • The Death Star Motif
    • The Jawa's Theme
    • The Droids Theme (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    • The Dark Side Motif (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    • Boba Fett's Theme
    • Lando's Theme
    • The Throne Room Motif
    • Jar Jar's Theme
    • Darth Maul's Motif
    • Qui-Gonn Jinn's Theme
    • Shmi's Theme
    • Coruscant Theme
    • Separatist's Theme
    • Kamino Theme
    • Grievous' Theme
    • (None of the Above)

very good reasoning Jason,

I don't think any prequel music should appear, as there is no reason for any of it.

Still I don't expect John to be the composer. I figure JJ's loyalty will win out over tradition.

I think Duel Of the Fates is the prequel music that has the strongest chance of returning, just because it's so popular, not necessarily because it makes sense.

I do hope the score is mostly original with strong new themes, only occasionally referencing the classic themes when appropriate.

I seriously doubt Duel of the Fates will return.

As Incanus pointed out, Williams will likely be more in favour of writing new music entirely. Aside from the obligatory references, I think we can expect a whole new soundscape.

I think so too.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be pressure from JJ, Disney, or Kennedy to include DOTF somewhere. Who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope the Rebel Fanfare makes a return. It, more or less, served as a musical identity for the Millenium Falcon as well as the Rebels heroics. I was very pleased to hear it in ROTS, appropriately underscoring the heroics of R2D2. My favorite theme has always been the Han & Leia theme from ESB. Charles Gerhardt's recording of the concert arrangement is wonderful. Not so sure he'll use the Luke & Leia theme though. He had an ideal opportunity to use it in ROTS but chose to utilize the character's own individual themes instead.

I'm less interested in the substance JW applies (new/old themes) than the style he chooses. I really hope he makes a return to the swashbuckling romantic style that made the original trilogy so soaring. His prequel scores, although technically superior and more complex, didn't inhibit the sense of wonder and magic that the OT has in spades. Leitmotif-driven rousing adventure gave way to pastoral and operatic narrative. I'm an 1980's kid...toss me into nostalgia, JW.

Mr. K

I think so too.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be pressure from JJ, Disney, or Kennedy to include DOTF somewhere. Who knows.

Or if Ben Burtt decides to track old cues in lieu of new material. I could c-c-c-combo break that guy for his treatment of the prequel scores. Some truly inspired cues were terribly hacked apart or abandoned completely so he could paste 'Escape from Naboo' or 'Escaping the Trade Federation Ship' all over the place!

Go ahead and record your whiz-bang sound fx, Benny- and stay outta the editing bay. We should have let Ken Wannberg crucify him years ago.

Mr. K

Yeah, it works amazing within Empire Strikes Back. But outside it, it's just four notes, a generic "ominous threat looming" musical idea that is not really worth revisiting when constructing a new project.

I really doubt Williams remembered it when he wrote "Duel of the Fates".

It's just part of Williams's thumbprint. It appears all of the place in his scores, though mostly in rhythmic action material (i.e. Rescuing Sarah).

His prequel scores, didn't inhibit the sense of wonder and magic that the OT has in spades.

TPM is the closest to that, IMO, with cues like "Take To Your Ships", "Anakin Is Free" and "Battleship Destroyed".

I think it's likely that a whole host of themes will show up in some kind of guise or disguise. Williams generally treats his leitmotifs quite freely; they may represent more than one specific thing. Very often, they work by means of broader association, and subsequently, they are used just as much for musical effect as for specific characterization, as long as they are dramatically effective

More than anything else, I'm curious how his music will be treated in the film.

I doubt that between Lincoln and Episode VII, he updated his method of composing to computers. I'm really concerned how he will be able to conform his music to edits and such. I doubt it can go like Tintin or LIncoln, where Williams wrote the music half a year or a year before the actual movie came out.

I hope he gets enough time, and Abrams understands his methods, given that he is said to be somewhat of a control freak.

Main theme and Force theme. There will probably be a lot of other cameos but those are the two that are totally guaranteed.

I think it's likely that a whole host of themes will show up in some kind of guise or disguise. Williams generally treats his leitmotifs quite freely; they may represent more than one specific thing. Very often, they work by means of broader association, and subsequently, they are used just as much for musical effect as for specific characterization, as long as they are dramatically effective

I would say that as a rule he is rather meticulous about his themes and their usage but knows when to deviate from the strictures of applying them for just a specific element of the drama and broadens them to suit the emotional-dramatic needs of the scene where appropriate.

I hope that the new film will give him a chance to write some great new thematic ideas but also revisit the old music motifs so that he can re-invent them a bit and create new variations and combinations with them. After the rather tragic and heavily dark Episode III I really wish the new movie could capture some of the bright eyed heroism of the original 1977 film which could be reflected in the music as well.

Williams' tentative confirmation that he is going to score the film brought to my mind another question: Will this score be scored in London and performed by LSO, considering that JW is loathe to make the cross-Atlantic trips anymore.

I personally don't think we'll see any of the Prequel themes in there, unless they want to reuse Duel of the Fates again. I also don't think Williams will include the Emperor's Theme, at least not as-is. But I'd be shocked if the major themes of the OT don't come back.

Yea, I think that's just about right.

If there are any hero characters that get tempted by the dark side, I could see Williams using the emperor's theme for that.

I wonder how muche freedom Williams will have to do whatever he wants everywhere vs Abrams asking for certain themes in certain spots.

Ideally Williams would get free reign and all his original intentions will get recorded, and revisions using themes Williams wouldn't have used will also get recorded, and eventually we will get both takes on the scenes in an eventual complete score release.

If there are any hero characters that get tempted by the dark side, I could see Williams using the emperor's theme for that.

Really? I sure hope not. Give us something new!

• 2 years later...