American Sniper

filmmusic

That's right, Spielbergo has signed up to direct "American Sniper," a project Cooper himself is producing, picking up the rights last year. Based on the autobiography of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, Jason Deal Hall ("Spread," "Paranoia") will adapted the book which tells the story of sniper who in a ten year career bagged the most kills in Army history, leading Iraqi insurgents to place a bounty on his head. But for all his success overseas, Kyle's work put a strain on his marriage and homelife. So back to "Saving Private Ryan"-esque territory for Spielberg?

Sounds pretty damn good to us. This will be Spielberg's next picture with both Warner Bros. and DreamWorks involved.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/steven-spielberg-to-direct-american-sniper-20130502

I guess we'll have another Williams score after all? ;)

I know I critizized the Moses film project as repetitive but this is the most bland sounding project he's picked in a while after Lincoln (of course I'm talking out of my ass because I've seen nothing from it yet).

In the end, I think I preferred the Moses idea to all the others. It isn't the story of Gilgamesh or the Odyssey, but hey, it could have been something.

Wow!

I might have to make this my sig.

Anyway, this sounds like a potentially decent story and movie, but nothing I'm about to set up email alerts for.

this sounds like a contemporary war (military) drama in the vein of Hurt Locker or Black Hawk Down to me.

So, it would be interesting to hear what Williams would write. (Much more interesting than Star Wars anyway)

all the other war dramas he has done are historic from what I recall now.

Sounds like Munich. Maybe we'll get another arabian score.

Yeah, closer to MUNICH territory, if anything.

But I believe this when I see it. So many Spielberg projects have come and gone over the years, I've learned to calm my excitement untill the cameras are actually rolling.

Any new Williams score is welcome, but I really want to hear what he writes for Robopocalypse, if it ever happens. I'm much more interested in that than American Sniper at the moment.

I will take the Mark O approach and believe this when Spielberg actually starts filming.

Not too excited about this one, doesn't seem to offer Spielberg or Williams much new ground to cover. But let's wait and see, at least we'll be getting a nice variety of scores with this, Star Wars VII and Tintin 2 (those seem the most likely). But I have a feeling Spielberg won't abandon Robopocalypse just yet, maybe he'll release both movies at the same year? That kinda worries me though, it could mean less chances of having more SW and Tintin if Spielberg decides to release both movies on 2015... He seems to love getting Johnny all for himself :P

I'm just relieved he's actually signed on to something. It'll be interesting to see how JW approaches this--maybe his trademark Americana sound deconstructed, ala "Arlington" from JFK (but preferably something different).

When do we think this'll be released? Maybe December 2014, if we're lucky.

This reminds me Munich, which is the worst film by Spielberg after Always and 1941, of course.

I love ALWAYS! (ok, I'm a romantic type, that's why! or at least, I was...)

Spielberg works fast... either Summer 2014 or Dec 2014 for sure

First quarter of 2014:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielbergs-next-movie-american-451011

I really hope Spielberg will shoot this quick, cheap and dirt (in the best sense of these terms), kind of his own After Hours. It could turn out pretty interesting.

First quarter of 2014:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielbergs-next-movie-american-451011

I really hope Spielberg will shoot this quick, cheap and dirt (in the best sense of these terms), kind of his own After Hours. It could turn out pretty interesting.

That says "start date," it will probably be released in December.

Summer 2014 seems a bit too rushed. But then again, cameras rolled on Munich mere months prior to its Christmas release.

If Spielberg actually sticks to this pic, I expect it to get released December 12 or 25th.

Squeezing the HOMELAND/HURT LOCKER/ZERO DARK lemon a bit more? Is except for a select few americans (and Thor) anyone interested in this kind of american foreign politics?

Will Tom Berenger be reprising his role as the Sniper? ;)

Boys like sniper kills, girls love Cooper and Joey loves the word 'American'. Ladies and gentlemen, Spielberg has a hit on his hands!

Hi gang

I continue to be completely fascinated by the diversity of Spielberg's filmography and so this is interesting news for sure. Spielberg's Munich immediately came to mind as did Stone's Born on the Fourth of July.

Movies about war often work best, I think, when they focus on the toll of those away from the battleground. Has anyone here ever seen Coppola's virtually unknown movie Gardens of Stone ?

JC

Virgin Film Guide: War Films published as an e-book in June 2013 (Ebury Books)

The Films of Pixar Animation Studios due to be published summer 2013 (Kamera Books)

Squeezing the HOMELAND/HURT LOCKER/ZERO DARK lemon a bit more? Is except for a select few americans (and Thor) anyone interested in this kind of american foreign politics?

Not really... doesn't sound like a remotely interesting subject, to be honest. Another film of his I'll be skipping.

However, whatever Williams might be involved with at this point I'm interested in.

Karol

Movies about war often work best, I think, when they focus on the toll of those away from the battleground. Has anyone here ever seen Coppola's virtually unknown movie Gardens of Stone ?

Yep, I saw it and it's a good one.

War (and all that relates to it) has always been one of Spielberg's main focus as a filmmaker (and all the directors from his generation share this: Coppola, Milius, De Palma), so in this sense it's not a strange choice. The subject looks to contain enough interesting elements to make a thought-provoking film. We'll see. I do hope Spielberg will go guerrilla filmmaking on this one. I'd love to see him in that kind of style.

Also, I don't think he's choosing project to win another Oscar. The man's already got his share of Academy glory.

And I am just happy for the prospect. :)

Can't say I'm excited for this. At all. I want some good, fun adventure type stuff. Not tedious drama stuff.

Especially not with overly modern and obvious American overtones. Nothing wrong with America, but it doesn't need to be the main focus, really.

I never have been big on patriotism, not even for my own country, let alone another. I'm a "Citizen of the World", dammit! :znaika:

Can I just say that I think MUNICH is a marvelous film and score -- the best from Spielberg/Williams since A.I., in my opinion.

So if this film becomes a reality and it taps into that same aesthetic territory, then great! Hopefully with something new to the table, though.

I don't want any more 'rambunctious adventure music' from Williams these days, as I don't think he's particularly interested or motivated for it anymore. I want more of the introspective music that clearly is closer to his ageing heart. This is why I would have loved to see a MOSES biopic....Williams doing the religious sound in his more mature style; Oh God, I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

it looks like this film is being rushed into production. Bradley Cooper as the unfortunate star. The real life drama of the fallen hero will give Williams a more broad canvas than some of you are giving him credit for.

Pieter, if you don't like the subject matter no one will make you watch it or listen to the score.

Pieter, if you don't like the subject matter no one will make you watch it or listen to the score.

I'll watch it. And listen to the score too. Knowing Spielberg and Williams, it'll probably be pretty good.

After all, I consider Saving Private Ryan to also be a very good film.

But it would hardly be my first choice if I HAD any choice in the matter.

well me too, if I had a choice he'd be directing Intersteller, he'd never wasted a moment on robocrapalypse, and Peter Jackson would not be involved in Tintin the sequel allowing SS to direct.

I don't want any more 'rambunctious adventure music' from Williams these days, as I don't think he's particularly interested or motivated for it anymore. I want more of the introspective music that clearly is closer to his ageing heart.

Let's not forget that Spielberg himself is approaching 70. He even explicitly said in an interview recently that filming action sequences just doesn't give him the inspiration that it used to when he was in his 20s and 30s, making all those good, fun adventures that he became so famous for.

As much as some of his fans complain, the fact is that he's received a lot more encouragement lately to do dramas than sci-fi/action/adventures. In his first ten years making theatrical features, he landed Best Picture Oscar nominations for Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T., as well as a Best Director nomination for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Reviews were great, and so was the audience response. In just about every corner of the world, people responded to that kinetic energy, and they let him know.

Since the 90's, however, his best-received films have largely been his dramas. His adventure films have done well at the box-office, but aside from Minority Report, reviews haven't been outstanding, and how much crap has he gotten since about the likes of War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? It seems that all he can ever talk about regarding Indy 4 is how poorly received it was by fans, and while it's usually in good humor, it had to have been rather discouraging for him to keep bringing it up. Sure, it made a lot of green, but it's easy to take that kind of thing for granted when it's a goddamn Indiana Jones movie.

After Jurassic Park came out, he's often said that he has a "one for me, one for the audience" type of attitude about the blockbusters. Movies like Close Encounters or E.T., though, were highly personal, and not merely done out of some obligation to an audience that craved escapism. I just wonder if he's starting to feel that ship has sailed for him.

Quite possible. But of all the action-y films he has made in recent memory, only Indiana Jones 4 was truly disappointing.

Mainly due to the aliens, the prairie dogs, the aliens, the "nuking the fridge" sequence, the aliens, the groin jokes and Tarzan sequence, and the aliens.

On the whole, it's not a bad film. There's just too much stupid stuff in there that really doesn't help it.

And at least the aliens were definitely not Spielberg's idea. Neither was "nuking the fridge" since that was in the old "Saucer Men from Mars" screenplay as well.

The Adventures of Tintin, on the other hand, is sheer brilliance! :D

this sounds like a contemporary war (military) drama in the vein of Hurt Locker or Black Hawk Down to me.

So, it would be interesting to hear what Williams would write. (Much more interesting than Star Wars anyway)

all the other war dramas he has done are historic from what I recall now.

Think BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, JFK, NIXON and MUNICH territory.

After Jurassic Park came out, he's often said that he has a "one for me, one for the audience" type of attitude about the blockbusters. Movies like Close Encounters or E.T., though, were highly personal, and not merely done out of some obligation to an audience that craved escapism. I just wonder if he's starting to feel that ship has sailed for him.

Or he has told these stories now and that's that.

One thing that is certain is that he directs with a more savvy eye towards the recognition his work gets - hence all the less-than-satisfying conclusions to his films in recent years which often betray a certain insecurity in his own movie. In Spielberg's case, that often means not following his instinct but his ratio - and the last time he bridged that gap in the last twenty years was CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

I kinda can't wrap my head around the idea of Williams scoring a Bradley Cooper movie.

I think many of us were hoping for all these other projects Spielberg has abandoned, which could have made for good Williams scores. There was a sci-fi one, pirates, robowhatever and even a biblical picture. Of course, he ends up doing a Bradley Cooper drama.

In my opinion, the sci-fi one and the pirates one were the best options. After that, the Robowhatever one and then the Moses film. This one is easily the least interesting of the lot.

In my opinion, the sci-fi one and the pirates one were the best options. After that, the Robowhatever one and then the Moses film. This one is easily the least interesting of the lot.

Indeed Pirate Latitudes would have been an AMAZING project for Spielberg and Williams.

Can someone suggest to the both of them that just maybe they should give that one another chance? :D

I kinda can't wrap my head around the idea of Williams scoring a Bradley Cooper movie.

I think many of us were hoping for all these other projects Spielberg has abandoned, which could have made for good Williams scores. There was a sci-fi one, pirates, robowhatever and even a biblical picture. Of course, he ends up doing a Bradley Cooper drama.

Judging by Silver Linings Playbook and The Place Beyond the Pines, Cooper's a great actor. I'm genuinely interested to see where his career goes from here, and what Spielberg will be able to get out of him.

Basically, I want Williams to score blockbuster type films again

Any new score by Williams is still anticipated, but I'm tired of his historical drama thing because it leads typically with only a few standout cues on the album

I will take the Mark O approach and believe this when Spielberg actually starts filming.

Will you also hope Gia will score this?

good Lord NO.

Basically, I want Williams to score blockbuster type films again

Any new score by Williams is still anticipated, but I'm tired of his historical drama thing because it leads typically with only a few standout cues on the album

As opposed to no standout track on the blockbuster called The Crystal Skull?

Williams must go out with a bang! So I propose: The Accidental Tourist Strikes Again! (also available on 180 gram vinyl)