BloodBoal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely indifferent to it.

I suppose I could say I prefer Giacchino's The Incredibles, because it has a catchier hook in its melody. And that's about all I think.

If Williams had written something similar people would be reaching orgasms.

Actually it's quite catchy, I like it.

Beefed-up big band jazz music in the style of old crime shows aka MANNIX, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE etc. Even elements of James Bond, David Arnold-style. Sure, it's pretty cool, although it could have benefitted from a bit more dynamic range. It's pretty full-on from start to finish.

I prefer this to quasi-symphonic writing by a non-symphonic composer. At least it doesn't take itself seriously.

As is, it's really quite flat; this sort of thing can be done so much better. I would have preferred it much busier -much more flamboyantly over the top-, with many more layers and more contrast. But I do appreciate the attempt at nostalgia.

I prefer this to quasi-symphonic writing by a non-symphonic composer. At least it doesn't take itself seriously.

As is, it's really quite flat; this sort of thing can be done so much better. I would have preferred it much busier -much more flamboyantly over the top-, with many more layers and more contrast. But I do appreciate the attempt at nostalgia.

Note sprayer!

If Williams did it, there would actually be interesting jazz harmonies. Not just power chords and boring major triads.

If Williams did it, there would actually be interesting jazz harmonies.

Again?

Again?

Listen to the closing chords of Schifrin's MISSION IMPOSSIBLE theme. Something like that.

If Williams did it, there would actually be interesting jazz harmonies. Not just power chords and boring major triads.

Wow, you are so intelligent and brave lambasting major triads like that.

Again?

Listen to the closing chords of Schifrin's MISSION IMPOSSIBLE theme. Something like that.

How about something new? (in terms of combinations.)

Again?

How about something new? (in terms of combinations.)

Even better.

Wow, you are so intelligent and brave lambasting major triads like that.

I love you.

I like how people dig Brian Tyler when his sound is the same as RCP.

It's not though. He knows how to write non-D-minor music. ;)

I think you misunderstand the Zimmer hate.

It's not really the sound. It's that the same formula is applied to almost every subject matter. From Romans to Pirates to Cryptoconspiracies.

He changes the instruments yes, but the music and techniques are the same from film to film to film.

Granted Tyler does have an action formula...but the keyword is action. He doesn't apply it where it does not belong.

But this thread isn't about the entire Iron Man 3 score, just the specific Can You Dig It track. I dig that track. The rest of the score is RCPish (though less RCPish than a real RCP score)

But I don't think Can You Dig It is very RCPish, really. It sounds like The Incredibles.

It's not really the sound.

Depends. Some of the Zimmer tendencies get on my nerves. Those loud notes that sound so flat (I don't know how to explain it right now). Like in that scene in Gladiator when Russel Crowe says "my name is gladiator". These tend to sound... blank, as if they don't say anything.

I remember listening to unreleased parts of At World's End, and goin "oh I like this and this... hum, here are the flat sounds again."

But I don't think Can You Dig It is very RCPish, really. It sounds like The Incredibles.

If it was RCPish we wouldn't be doing this thread.

I like the organ riff in the background and the moment at 1:36 and at 2:01. Perfect despiction of the character in the film.

But this thread isn't about the entire Iron Man 3 score, just the specific Can You Dig It track. I dig that track. The rest of the score is RCPish (though less RCPish than a real RCP score)

Yeah if HZ scored The Incredibles, it's more rock-based than anything else. The main theme is in this cue.

I watched the film and thought it was great fun. Probably my favourite Iron Man film. It had the entertainment factor that The Avengers was seriously missing.

The score was nothing special (I've only heard it in context), but I was amused by the use of Dies Irae for the Mandarin. The score also at times tried to mimic Banes music from TDKR

I, too, really dug this cue over the (pre-?) end credits. I've heard Tyler's scores in films before, but this one was the first time I really sat up and took notice. CD = ordered.

Actually it's quite catchy, I like it.

"The Globetrotters" from A Guide for the Married Man is somewhat of a '60s equivalent. Orgasmic? Perhaps not quite, but I do love it.