Missouri Breaks 2CD Complete Score (SOLD OUT in 72 hours!)

Jay

I've not studied the case track by track, but it's rare that I found a score superior to it's "re-recorded" album version.

Take by example E.T. or Jaws, the albums are classics. It's the same for all the 60's re-recorded albums, they really add "more" to the score.  The albums are more concise, the tracks are well shaped, they have a beginning and an end, so the albums offers in general a great listening experience.

But not in the case of Missouri Breaks, I found the album.... arid?

It's maybe the era... 1976... I don't know, but I like more the "sound" and the "mood" of the score!

All this for saying this Kritzerland release is ESSENTIAL.

p_kr200260.jpg

The Missouri Breaks [An Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1976) (2013, Kritzerland Records, KR 20026-0)

CD 1 - THE ORIGINAL SCORE TRACKS: The Missouri Breaks (Main Title); Logan's Entrance; Logan and Calvin Talk (Unused); The Train Robbery; After the Trial/The Hanging Foreman/Riding the Horse; Boys Will Play; Clayton at the Wake (Unused); Crossing the River; Clayton's Binoculars; Logan and Jane; The Cabbage Patch; The Mounties Attack/Lee Chases Tod; The Drowning of Tod; News of Tod; The Rustling Sequence; Si and Cary; Calvin; End Titles; BONUS TRACKS: Unused Cue 1-3; Organ Cue 4-2; Banjo and Harmonica Cue 11-3; Fiddle Cue 11-3A; Harmonica Cue 13-2; CD 2 - THE ORIGINAL ALBUM RE-RECORDING: The Missouri Breaks (Main Title); Arrival of the Rustlers; Love Theme from The Missouri Breaks; The Train Robbery; Bizarre Wake; Celebration; Confrontation; Love Theme (Reprise); Crossing the Missouri; The Chase; Remembrances; The Horse Rustlers; Love Theme (End Title). Previously unreleased original score.

One of the aspects I really like on the original score programme is how it fleshes out the creepy bounty hunter music of Brando's character. The strange harpsichord and all the weird percussion. On the OST it was present on two tracks while here it is actually a major element of the score.

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

This thread was started on May 8th, 2013, and it's now February 23rd 2018, and you can still buy it. That's not 72 hours!

well, it was sold out, and he probably bought it more expensive from third party.

http://www.kritzerland.com/mo_breaks.htm

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

well, it was sold out, and he probably bought it more expensive from third party.

http://www.kritzerland.com/mo_breaks.htm

Actually, it is $19.99 + $3.99 shipping on Amazon new.  I've also got Accidental Tourist in my Amazon cart for $18.25 new from SAE, is it complete / near complete?  Worth getting or would I need to worry about a possible double-dip in the near future?

Accidental Tourist is a wonderful purchase, a very pleasant album to listen to!

You don't need to worry about a future expansion; The FSM edition is still in print and will be for a while.  IIRC, when they looked for elements to expand it, they couldn't find any.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST is gorgeous! This is the kind of Williams I return to the most these days. Buy it!

Lurrrvvve The Accidental Tourist! Even love the movie too (oddball that I am)!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

You don't need to worry about a future expansion; The FSM edition is still in print and will be for a while.  IIRC, when they looked for elements to expand it, they couldn't find any.

Holy crap!  So funny this came up today, because I JUST finished listening to this interview with Mike Matessino:

http://www.cinematicsound.net/interview-with-mike-matessino-guest-host-tim-burden

In which The Accidental Tourist, and the FSM CD, actually comes up!  He mentions the reason it wasn't expanded was because it was during a time when it was hard to license material from Warner Brothers, which I had completely forgotten about!  So FSM only worked with Warner Records to reissue the OST.  So the elements are probably fine, and the score could probably be expanded one day if FSM were to either let their license lapse or gift it to another label that's still in business.

All that being said, I don't think there's enough interest in this score that the labels will get to it ANY time soon; There's so many bigger scores on their radars right now I am sure.

Several small cues and the source music for the movie they see in the theater, which as they point out in the podcast, would make a nice companion piece to 11th Commandment from CE3K - plus, who knows if there are any alternates we don't even know about

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

All that being said, I don't think there's enough interest in this score that the labels will get to it ANY time soon; There's so many bigger scores on their radars right now I am sure.

Oh because there was a huuuuge interest for Stanley & Iris maybe? :sarcasm:

4 hours ago, Jay said:

So it was intended to be expanded a few years back, as one of the first Williams expansions ever?

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

So it was intended to be expanded a few years back?

Nothing is perfect nor definitive... especially in the musical domain. Repeat after me.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

So it was intended to be expanded a few years back, as one of the first Williams expansions ever?

Wait, what?  The first Williams expansion was the Star Wars trilogy in 1993, and the FSM Accidental Tourist came out in 2008.....

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

In 2008 it still counts as one of the first, cause not much was going on back then.

Here's all the expanded reissue albums that where releases in 2008 and before, so before La-La-Land took the lead :-)

(The complete list on my Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Expanded_reissue_albums

1993 Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology[3] Twentieth Century Fox Film Scores Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
1994 The Cowboys [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1973) Varèse Sarabande Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued for digital download in 2014, Varèse Sarabande.
1995 Heidi [Original Motion Picture Score] (1968) X Label, Europe Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
1995 Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1981)[3] DCC Compact Classics Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
1995 The Reivers [Original Score] (1969) Legacy/Columbia Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
1997 The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition: A New Hope [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack][3] BMG Classics/RCA Victor Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2004, Sony Classical; Reissued for digital download in 2014, Sony Classical.
1997 The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition: Return of the Jedi [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack][3] BMG Classics/RCA Victor Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2004, Sony Classical; Reissued for digital download in 2014, Sony Classical.
1997 The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition: The Empire Strikes Back [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack][3] BMG Classics/RCA Victor Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2004, Sony Classical; Reissued for digital download in 2014, Sony Classical.
1998 Close Encounters of the Third Kind [The Collector's Edition Soundtrack] Arista Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
1999 The Missouri Breaks [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1976) Rykodisc Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2004, Varese Sarabande.
2000 Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [The Ultimate Edition] (1999)[3] Sony Classical 2-CD Album, includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2000 Superman: The Movie [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1978)[3] Warner Archives/Rhino Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2001 Fiddler on the Roof [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Recording] (1971) EMI Capitol 30th Anniversary, includes previously unreleased material; Music for Stage Play and Film by Jerry Bock; Music Adapted and Conducted by John Williams.
2001 The Towering Inferno [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1974) Film Score Monthly Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2002 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [The 20th Anniversary] (1982) MCA Records Includes previously unreleased material; Also issued as a SACD; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2002 Home Alone 2 – Lost in New York [Original Score] (1992) Varèse Sarabande CD Club The Deluxe Edition 2-CD Set, includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2004 Tom Sawyer [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1973) Varèse Sarabande Includes previously unreleased material; Music and Lyrics by Richard M. & Robert B. Sherman; Music Adapted and Conducted by John Williams.
2006 Goodbye, Mr. Chips [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1969) Film Score Monthly 3-CD Set, includes previously unreleased material; Music and Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse; Music Supervised and Conducted by John Williams.
2008 Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection Concord Records 5-CD Set, includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2008 Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1981) Concord Records Includes previously unreleased material on CD; Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Concord Records.
2008 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1984) Concord Records Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.
2008 Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1989) Concord Records Includes previously unreleased material; Composed and Conducted by John Williams.

2008 isn't anywhere close to the early days of expanded score releases.

In fact it was actually the end of the heyday of the specialty label era, when all the labels we're having 3,000 copy titles sell out in 24-72 hours regularly.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That's just... not true at all!

It is. Before that, there were just a few expansions here and there, almost none of them complete. But now it really started with definitive releases every year... okay, maybe it already started in 2010.

4 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

An expanded Accidental Tourist would be even more skippable than an expanded Missouri Breaks.

They should have expanded this instead of The Lost World. Nobody needs the crappy Jurassic Park Collection.

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

They should have expanded this instead of The Lost World. Nobody needs the crappy Jurassic Park Collection.

If I said I prefer an expanded Accidental Tourist than a Lost World would you believe me? ;)

1 hour ago, Richard said:

No, it's not. There's a little bit more "dissonant" music, as Leary goes to view his son.

Also, the film version of THE TRIP TO LONDON is different.

ok, i checked both cues.

The trip to london has indeed a different ending.

But the other cue.. maybe you mean another scene?

The film cue is like the ost (missing some music from the beginning), and there's no scene of Leary going to view Muriel's (i'd guess you meant) son.

Muriel goes to check on her son.

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sorry about that, I was thinking of MACON ALONE. I meant the scene where Leary goes to view his dead son.

still, that flm cue is exactly the same as the ost cue. There isn't anything missing in the ost.