Missouri Breaks 2CD Complete Score (SOLD OUT in 72 hours!)

Jay

Back in May it was just a speculation / anticipation thread. The announcement wasn't made by Bruce until July 1 and it sold out July 4.

I never had the original SpaceCamp, but I remember ordering the TOD OST CD from a catalog that used to come with Lucasfilm Games full of Star Wars and Indiana Jones merch. I think it cost like $40 or something. I'm glad I still have it, it's a Japanese import, with all the liner notes in Japanese.

I saw the Japanese ToD in the local Virgin Megastore in the late 90s. Picked it up, looked at it, put it back on the shelf. When I was there the next time, willing to pick it up, it was gone. Never again seen a copy of it since.

I'm still biting my ass for doing the same regarding Ghost and the Darkness around that time.

I never had the original SpaceCamp, but I remember ordering the TOD OST CD from a catalog that used to come with Lucasfilm Games full of Star Wars and Indiana Jones merch. I think it cost like $40 or something. I'm glad I still have it, it's a Japanese import, with all the liner notes in Japanese.

I saw the Japanese ToD in the local Virgin Megastore in the late 90s. Picked it up, looked at it, put it back on the shelf. When I was there the next time, willing to pick it up, it was gone. Never again seen a copy of it since.

I'm still biting my ass for doing the same regarding Ghost and the Darkness around that time.

I grabbed that one for less than 10€ in a used CD store a couple of years ago.

4 pages about this and hardly a single word about the music itself.

If anything, these reissues and expansions are a golden opportunity to delve into the details of the music (whether in context with the film or alone) once more.

What's everyone's take on the MUSICAL CONTENTS of this score?

They haven't shipped yet, so we haven't heard it yet. But based on what we do have, it's a score that really requires the right mood IMO. Some of the harpisochord stuff can get really annoying in the wrong context. And I have mixed feelings about hte love theme, although I do like it overall.

If anything, these reissues and expansions are a golden opportunity to delve into the details of the music (whether in context with the film or alone) once more.

Thor nobody has it yet. We will probably have it in a month or so? I am not sure..

The score is a bit of a mix as it has to address the mixed moods of the film, where drama meets with off-beat comedy and regular humor and even some tense action. I like the sparse rustic feel of the score but am not entirely won over by the Love Theme, which is the same way I feel about the Love theme from The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing. It must be the slight pop influence both seem to share.

The strange music for Brando's character is definitely intriguing, effective and nicely off-kilter and offers a counterpoint to the almost goofy humour of the rustler music and their escapades. As Indy4 said this requires for you to be in the right mood to fully appreciate. One highlight is the edgy and moody main title, which is highly unique composition on the soundtrack and sadly no music in the same vein appear on rest of the score.

Well, surely many own the Rykodisc already -- or have seen the film -- so they have some connection to the music? Or is this release the first experience for most people?

The film was a major attraction to me because it had two of my favourite actors up against each other -- Nicholson and Brando. Both are such strong personalities, so it was intriguing to watch the battling screen personalities. Brando steals it for the first part of the film, but then Nicholson has some amazing scenes towards the end ("know what woke you up?").

I love the opening shots, which has some blurry figures riding towards the camera from a distance, with only Williams' twangy guitars as sound.

Outside the film, the score works wonders as a sort of gritty, down-and-dirty Americana score that Williams excelled at on several occasions. I didn't mind the love theme as much as you, Incanus. I love him in that mode. Damn, I need to put it on again.

[Listening to it again now, I had forgotten how much harmonica there was....for better or worse. Harmonica can be insanely beautiful and quite grating]

I am going to wait for the new release before I take another listen of this soundtrack. I am really interested to hear how different an experience the original score tracks will be. :)

Another funny track is the Celebration. It has that authentic hoe-down feel in spades.

Well, surely many own the Rykodisc already -- or have seen the film -- so they have some connection to the music? Or is this release the first experience for most people?

Well I thought this thread is for the particular release. I'm sure (?) there would be another thread that discusses the music in general.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested I had made a 2 staves transcription of the Main titles theme (film version).

If you try to play it at the piano, you must use the pedal in appropriate places, and also use your hands at will for easier playing. (meaning moving the chords on the right hand etc.)

hzsg.jpg

Bah, It's just a complete and chronological film version of the score different from the re-recordings on the OST. Are you interested in knowing more? ;)

I've never heard the score before, so I can't comment on it until my CD arrives. I can't wait!

Bah, It's just a complete and chronological film version of the score different from the re-recordings on the OST. Are you interested in knowing more? ;)

Yeah, preferably something about the music itself.

I guess I have to wait untill people get it untill we can discuss that. I didn't realize we did separate threads about the musical contents.

Thor, you can talk about the music right here. What would you like to say about it?

I guess I said what I wanted to say about it a few posts up. I'm just curious about what other people's take is -- for those who already own the Rykodisc, obviously, or have any kind of connection to it. Positive? Negative? Indifferent? What do you think about this particular Williams style? Have you seen the movie -- and if so, what do you think of the movie and the music within? Do you like the love theme or not? What do you think about the 'harmonica' sound? Etcetera.

Like HEIDI, ROSEWOOD etc, it's a score not often talked about, and these expansions are a good excuse to do so.

Yeah, preferably something about the music itself.

I guess I have to wait untill people get it untill we can discuss that. I didn't realize we did separate threads about the musical contents.

Well, the film versions of the cues (i assume) are different than the rerecordings.

I mean listening to the maint tiles alone, the music is different.

So, I'll have to get this set to have a complete image of the music.

(eg. I don't like very much the re-recordings/arrangements of the original E.T. album [although most people do], but i love the film versions which were released in the following cds)

other than that, i would say that the music as I heard it in the original cd, is good. it's not something I'm crazy about, neither the style, but it shows that it is skillfully composed music, even for such a small group of instruments.

I had seen the film some years ago, don't remember it much, but i remember that it was weird.

i'm not a fan of this genre either, so my opinion wouldn't be impartial.

Wait - you don't like the concert arrangements Williams recorded for the original ET LP? Why in the world not? It's some of his most beautiful work!

Wait - you don't like the concert arrangements Williams recorded for the original ET LP? Why in the world not? It's some of his most beautiful work!

Well, I loved the film, and when I got this cd I waited to hear the film versions, and when I heard that this was not the case I was dissapointed.. :(

So, I was negative about them from the start.

(I especially dislike the introduction to "Flying")

Right, but now you have access to the cues recorded for the film AND the concert arrangements. So why can't you enjoy both now?

Right, but now you have access to the cues recorded for the film AND the concert arrangements. So why can't you enjoy both now?

because as I've said I was negative from the start, and rarely I will change my mind for something like this.

And I always prefer the film versions in soundtracks. I don't like the "album-notion". as I wouldn't like eg. a concert arrangement of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Anyway, I don't say they're bad, it's just that i rarely will listen to them (if not never) since we have the film versions now.

i guess I'm something like the opposite of Thor? :mrgreen:

But the concert arrangements don't supplant the film versions; You can listen to them before, or after, or in the middle of the film cue sequence. It's all great music!

But the concert arrangements don't supplant the film versions; You can listen to them before, or after, or in the middle of the film cue sequence. It's all great music!

yeah, I understand. It's just me! ;)

I just prefer the film versions better (of any score).

I have a strange connection with this score -or at least parts of it- and it can be a little eclectic, but when it's good, it's really damn good. This, Images and Eiger Sanction are three of my favorite scores of him because of how unusual they sound. Before Star Wars, it seems that Johnny allowed himself to experiment a lot more, and I've said this before, but this is the closest he's done to a spaghetti-western score of sorts. I've always lamented how he got kinda stuck in the romantic symphonic sound, and although he excels at it and I love that kind of scores too, I always wish we could have gotten another highly atonal score for a complex film like Images was. But I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I actually enjoy the movie pretty darn much. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and watching Brando perform is always a pleasure, even if he's doing whatever he wants here. He's so natural, I'm always amazed with every performance he did. He steals the movie from Jack, who is not bad here, it's just that his character seems a little undeveloped...

As for the music, I'm not really keen on the Love Theme. However, the Main Titles really take the cake. It would have been an amazing score if all of it was like this. The middle section is a real treat, the rock side of our Johnny Williams. Then The Train Robbery is quite fun, I've always got a kick out of the section from 1:10 to 1:20. I repeat it over and over! :lol: Celebration is a lot of fun too, along with Crossing the Missouri.

Then there's The Chase, that seems to recall The Consipirators from JFK of all things. But it's quite tense, feels a little weird on the movie at first but it somehow works, although the chase is much shorter than presented on album.

So yeah, there ya go Thorsy.

I have a strange connection with this score -or at least parts of it- and it can be a little eclectic, but when it's good, it's really damn good. This, Images and Eiger Sanction are three of my favorite scores of him because of how unusual they sound. Before Star Wars, it seems that Johnny allowed himself to experiment a lot more, and I've said this before, but this is the closest he's done to a spaghetti-western score of sorts. I've always lamented how he got kinda stuck in the romantic symphonic sound, and although he excels at it and I love that kind of scores too, I always wish we could have gotten another highly atonal score for a complex film like Images was. But I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Did you purchase Rosewood yet Michael? It could be right up your alley if you like Missouri Break type of music. :)

Actually, no. I have heard only the Main Titles on Youtube and although I liked it I wasn't crazy to get it.

But if you recommend it, I'll have to get it!

I heartily recommend Rosewood but check out some samples online to get a fuller picture of the score before getting it. It is still in this category though, Williams doing something else than his grandest symphonic histrionics, mixing blue grassy and bluesy sounds with his orchestral Americana on a smaller more intimate scale and even venturing into the realm of gospel choral music. The guitar and harmonica work in the score is in similar vein as in Missouri Breaks although the guitar writing here is even more vibrant in places I would say.

in re-remastered sound!

I knew I should have waited

:lol:

Don't forget a couple of juicy source cues composed by the Maestro to entice further to buy the new version.

Another label just might do that.

If any label is going to print more copies it will be us - I have an agreement about that, which is how we did the Encore edition of Carrie - believe me others were nosing around that title just as I'm sure they'll be nosing around this, although, that said, I'm just not sure how many more sales there would be. If we'd done 1500 of them we wouldn't have sold a 1000 by this point - that's just how it goes, I'm afraid.

It's shipping Tuesday morning. We were hoping for today, but the holiday last week really slowed things up.

If any label is going to print more copies it will be us

Great news, I hope you do that - a lot of fans missed out!

It's shipping Tuesday morning. We were hoping for today, but the holiday last week really slowed things up.

Wonderful news!

Wonderful news!

Ditto! :)

as I wouldn't like eg. a concert arrangement of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony

But Beethovens symphony is ALREADY a concert work...

as I wouldn't like eg. a concert arrangement of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony

But Beethovens symphony is ALREADY a concert work...

yeah, you know what i meant.

Take bits here and there of the last large movement and make it into a 4-5 minute piece.

And why would you want to do that? Beethoven's 9th is a perfect masterpiece as it is!

I guess you didn't follow my early posts on this matter. ;)

I said I prefer in film music to hear the film versions and not concert versions, as I wouldn't prefer to hear a "concert version" of the beethoven movement (with bits and pieces stitched together).

(and I explained to Faleel what i meant by "concert version" of the Beethoven movement)

only be listening to the original film cues you can see all the glory of a film score.

The concert arrangements are just commercial pieces composed afterwards for the general public and for the album.

OF course they can be magnificent too on their own right, but they are just excerpts of something larger.

I play in a community wind band. I wouldn't mind a nice five minute, even ten minute, arrangement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. How long would the full piece be to perform and play? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't think Beethoven's 9th is comparable to a cue from a film score. The former is written for the specific purpose of being listened to. Often the latter includes moments that are only meant to service the film, and thus don't work as listening experiences that well.

I don't think Beethoven's 9th is comparable to a cue from a film score. The former is written for the specific purpose of being listened to. Often the latter includes moments that are only meant to service the film, and thus don't work as listening experiences that well.

Of course my concept refers to film scores which are masterful and take music to a higher level, and can stand on their own without altering a note, and not an average sound-designy score..