Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (2015)

Matt C

Seems like a project to follow, IMO. Cate Blanchett is playing the wicked stepmother, Lily James is playing Cinderella, and now Richard Madden has been cast as the Prince.

This should be a good project for Patrick Doyle to sink his teeth into... probably a score with Nanny McPhee influences with a dash of Much Ado About Nothing.

Disney hasn't set a release date, but since filming will start this fall... maybe a fall/holiday 2014 release?

They had a hard time casting Cinderella, even Emma Watson passed on it. And she usually chooses her projects based on the director. That makes me think the story must be pretty shitty.

Nah, that's probably pictures from Sofia Coppola's "The Bling Ring". She's also in Seth Rogen's "This Is the End" and Darren Aronofsky's "Noah".

Nah, that's probably pictures from Sofia Coppola's "The Bling Ring". She's also in Seth Rogen's "This Is the End" and Darren Aronofsky's "Noah".

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Watson's taste -- even if it is a comedy. More likely Watson passed on Cinderella is because it's another magical character and she doesn't want to be typecast as such.

I'm in for Blanchett and Madden, personally.

Imogen Poots, Saoirse Ronan, Bella Heathcote, Margot Robbie and Gabriella Wilde passed on the role as well. They had a hard time casting the main character.
I don't think the reason is typecasting - I think she double checked with Guillermo del Toro if they were still going to make Beauty and the Beast, and chose that over Cinderella.

• 1 month later...

It should be eclectic enough with Helena Bonham Carter playing a fairy godmother instead of an evil, depressed, or Goth-influenced character for once.

Though if she sings that "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" song, I will die laughing.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I didn't even know that Doyle was going to score Cinderella, and when I saw this trailer I thought the music in the very beginning of it sounded like something he would have done for his Goblet of Fire score or something.

Well, it does say so in the title of the thread, and the end of the teaser video....

It's Branagh, who else would score it?

That is if Doyle is not available for whatever reason? James Newton Howard may give it a shot. He scored Snow White the other year, Maleficent this year, and he is seemingly attached to the Alice in Wonderland sequel too.

I have a feeling I've heard that piece of music before, but it could be that Doyle scored the trailer. It sounds very magical and whimsical.

It sounds like something JNH would write actually. But I think it is original Doyle music.

All those fairy tail movies sucked so far

Alice in Wonderlands sucked

Snow White and the Huntsman sucked

Hansel and Gretel sucked

Maleficient is gonna suck

And cinderella will suck too

Hansel and Gretal was a blast. It was an over the top monster movie completely tongue in cheek. It was savaged by critic and movie fans who have died inside.

Famke J. is so beautiful in the film. Don't you agree Stefancos. She's freaking gorgeous.

A poster on FSM says that the music in this teaser is actually from James Newton Howard's Nanny McPhee Returns score.