Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (2015)

Matt C

Hansel and Gretal was a blast. It was an over the top monster movie completely tongue in cheek. It was savaged by critic and movie fans who have died inside.

Famke J. is so beautiful in the film. Don't you agree Stefancos. She's freaking gorgeous.

Yes some of it was hilarious

I actuallly liked it too, in an "I Frankenstien" kind of way

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That's a relief. Looking forward to the score. Cate Blanchett will probably steal all of her scenes. Other than that I'm liking the light tone, Helena Bonham Carter actually looking good and the idea of Derek Jacobi playing the king. I'm gonna see this at some point!

I like Branagh as a director. I think it'll be better than Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent.
That being said, the three things I listed and the score is the only positive things I think this movie is going to offer. No reason to list all kinds of negative things, man.

I'm full of bullshit anyway, I haven't even seen Maleficent.

BTW, I saw a comment from Tim Burden on Facebook yesterday, that I can't find now.

Basically, he said Doyle wrote an original score for the original teaser trailer, but Disney canceled the recording sessions.

I didn't say that, Tim Burden did! I finally found it:

What's frustrating is that Patrick wrote special music for the trailer, as requested. Disney cancelled the sessions to record it though. Shame.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=99968&forumID=1&archive=0

And yea, the music in the Teaser is from JNH's Nanny McPhee Returns.

NO no no, Burden was talking about the old teaser, not the new trailer! Look at the timestamp of his post in the FSM forum. His post is from May!

I doubt Doyle was asked to score the new trailer after Disney nixed him recording something for the original teaser....

• 1 month later...

I find it strange and a risk that Into the Woods and Cinderella are released so close together.

Well this film is another one to add to that list of random projects he's doing, none of them being particularly noteworthy or distinctive of a director's unique voice.

Anyone why exactly Branagh is doing these films? Just studio pressure and cash?

He broke into the studio system with Thor, so why not make a ton of money doing blockbusters after doing Shakespeare adaptations your whole career? I thought his direction added immeasurably to Thor. It has a distinctiveness that other Marvel films lack. No where near his more personal work, but I enjoyed it, which is something I can't really say for other MCU films.

Still need to see his Jack Ryan flick.

Patrick was going on about this score when I interviewed him in Helsinki last year. He apparently felt a lot for it and had a lot of time to work on it. Hopefully, that will result in a more inspired score than a couple of other ones he's done recently. While I DID like portions of BRAVE, the best thing he's done in recent years is LA LIGNE DROITE. I'm hoping for something like that again (although perhaps not for a sugary Cinderella film).