Quartet Announces Heidi by John Williams!

Jay

I don't think even Williams has the Heidi sheets. There's a picture somewhere where you can see his shelf with his 60s manuscripts, and Heidi isn't among them

Ordered! From SAE to avoid the horrible customer service that is Quartet. I have the original Label X CD, but I'm excited for this one!

Ordered! From SAE to avoid the horrible customer service that is Quartet. I have the original Label X CD, but I'm excited for this one!

Ah yes you had some problems with their unresponsive customer service when you ordered The Long Goodbye, didn't you?

Did you ever receive your copy?

Yeah I had some problems, but it all arrived in the end, so no worries overall! Just don't want to go through that again. :)

I don't think even Williams has the Heidi sheets. There's a picture somewhere where you can see his shelf with his 60s manuscripts, and the binders go right from Fitzwilly to The Reivers.

I went back and found those pictures, in this documentary:

Skip to 3:55, and you'll see that my memory was a bit fuzzy. Here's what we see:

Diamond Head (1963)

Gidget Goes To Rome (1963)

Not With My Wife You Don't (1966)

Pete 'n' Tillie (1972)

A Guide For The Married Man (1967)

John Goldfarb Please Come Home (1965)

The Reivers (1969)

How To Steal A Million (1966)

Superman (1978)

?????

Return of the Jedi (1983)

Monsignor (1982)

The River (1984)

Stanley & Iris (1989)

The Accidental Tourist (1988)

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

As you can see, the scores are out of chronological order, so HEIDI could theoretically be filed elsewhere. However, the fate of JANE EYRE is not a promising indicator, as it was the same era, same studio, same production company, etc.

It's from the 1993 concert in honor of Williams' retirement as Principal Conductor of the Pops. A very lovely homage, featuring also appearances by Richard Dreyfuss and Christopher Reeve.

A Guide For The Married Man (1967)

John Goldfarb Please Come Home (1965)

The Reivers (1969)

How To Steal A Million (1966)

Superman (1978)

?????

Yea, what DOES that binder say?

binders.png

It's from the 1993 concert in honor of Williams' retirement as Principal Conductor of the Pops. A very lovely homage, featuring also appearances by Richard Dreyfuss and Christopher Reeve.

I think a good portion of that show is available on Youtube, or at least used to be. It was indeed a great homage and Richard Dreyfuss was the host if I remember correctly.

Yeah, that documentary -- and the entire concert -- was a great tribute to Williams as he was retiring from the Boston Pops. I pop it on occasionally. I believe the pictures from his early days are culled from a museum/library of some kind at Tanglewood or Boston.

Difficult to make out what that binder to the right says. THE LONG GOODBYE? BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG? I don't know.

Difficult to make out what that binder to the right says. THE LONG GOODBYE? BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG? I don't know.

It's pretty clear it's Because They're Young - you need to watch the footage in the clip, the screenshot partially hides the title.

It's pretty clear it's Because They're Young - you need to watch the footage in the clip, the screenshot partially hides the title.

Yeah, it looks that way.

I would love a release of BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG. Has some pretty cool and funky music in it.

Good to see that it's selling like hotcakes. Means that it has been desired for some time, but that people have been inhibited because of the rarity and steep price of the Label X.

Less than 350 units in stock

Oops! Ordered.

Never heard any music from the score before the sound clips. What kind of a Fan am I?

One who is amending past errors! ;)

Oops! Ordered.

Never heard any music from the score before the sound clips. What kind of a Fan am I?

You deserve a place in the JWfan hall of shame

Order from Movie Music. bundled with the perseverance Witches of Eastwick (I know....) and Intrada's In Country

Oops! Ordered.

You are a penitent fan and in all honesty this music has not been very widely available until now. This score opens with a wonderful French horn passage , the main title being wonderfully innocent and exuberant. :)

Go on Pasi! Listen to the samples! I dare you! Let the sound of Alpine French horns entice you into this score! :devil:

Ordered from Quartet. I saw this announcement last week while on vacation in Ireland and couldn't see a limit number anywhere, so I figured it would be safe to wait and bundle it with Rosewood, but the stock updates here scared me.

It's a lovely score, and The Miracle is fantastic.

Agreed. It has the same kind of beautiful build-up as Restoration from Janey Eyre has. JW at his best.

Ordered from Quartet. I saw this announcement last week while on vacation in Ireland and couldn't see a limit number anywhere, so I figured it would be safe to wait and bundle it with Rosewood, but the stock updates here scared me.

You say you ordered from Quartet - the limit number was right there at the bottom of the page, under the track list and samples:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/heidi.html

I bundled this with three others from SAE. One is BOBW so I know I won't get it for a while, but that 9 shipping from Quartet directly is prohibitive.

I bundled this with three others from SAE. One is BOBW so I know I won't get it for a while, but that 9 shipping from Quartet directly is prohibitive.

welcome to the buy-from-a-foreign-retailer world man! :P

You say you ordered from Quartet - the limit number was right there at the bottom of the page, under the track list and samples:

Yes, I saw that when I ordered it. But I don't remember it being in any of the announcements.

Yea, Quartet doesn't put the limit amounts in their announcements for some reason. Seems like it would be an important thing to announce up front!

Especially considering that their pressings are usually quite small. But with Quartet I somehow anticipated a small pressing after The Long Goodbye.

Mine too. I had this album and Passion by Pino Donaggio.

That's my bundling as well, along with Morris' Yellowbeard (clips sounded nice). No shipping notification yet though.

I doubt the other vendors have gotten their stock yet, Quartet is probably just shipping it to them now

Mine arrived today. I didn't even know it had shipped yet.

Sound is similar to the old release in character, but clearly better, more full-bodied. Some strong tape hiss in tracks like The Miracle, but I can live with that.

It seems I have to wait until next week for my copy. Oh well Heidi, Rosewood and The Fury are in the mail. A lot to look forward to. :)

Heidi is one of those titles I'd be a bit embarrassed to buy in a real store. I hope the mailman doesn't make a mistake and deliver it to one of my neighbors

Heidi is one of those titles I'd be a bit embarrassed to buy in a real store. I hope the mailman doesn't make a mistake and deliver it to one of my neighbors

He, he....I see what you mean.

It sounds nice but the narration tracks from the original album are quite painful to listen to.