Marco Beltrami's The Wolverine (2013)

Jay

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like that very much. I was expecting another water color style cover like the posters.

Agreed with Joey that does look like a really great cover. It'll be interesting to hear Beltrami's take on this score and I'll definitely see the movie.

In a way it mirrors that one scene from Spider-Man 3 when Peter is in the black suit at the top of the church steeple and he's in a similar pose.

Never saw it

For the love of god, don't watch it. It's embarrassing on pretty much every level.

Which in itself is an achievement of sorts....

Karol

Yeah and the same guy who directed that rubbish directed (and wrote the screenplay) for the upcoming Ender's Game movie.

Sure, but Ender's Game is starting from much, much stronger source material.

Cant be any worse than any of the X-men films.

X Men, and X Men United, along with X Men First Class have been very good films,

even with their problems X Men Last Stand and X Men Origins Wolverine are watchable (karol is quite wrong).

Anybody else notice that every single X-Men film has had a different composer?

X-Men - Michael Kamen

X-Men 2 - John Ottman

X-Men 3 - John Powell

X-Men Origins Wolverine - Harry Gregson-Williams

X-Men First Class - Henry Jackman

The Wolverine - Marco Beltrami

X-Men Days Of Future Past - John Ottman - the very first time an X-Men film will have a returning composer. I wonder if he'll re-use any existing themes?

There's an old FSM podcast that shows out some recurring elements in the original 3 scores, though they admit it might not have been intentional

You disagree then?

Karol

I do, I think you're being very melodramatic as Quint said, You're comments make it sound as if by viewing it Jason would be irrepirably harmed. don't watch it Jason the embarrasment will kill you.

yes, do you want me to explain it to you so that you might use it properly.

perhaps when it's so poorly used, you're from england and yet you write so....well.

Nope, English is not my first language. Which can be gleaned from my sometimes clunky use of it. And a clearly non-English name.

But no, I wasn't being serious about Wolverine.

Karol

Karol with a K for a man is not completely uncommon. I had a great uncle named Karol.

even with a name like Joe there are tons of jokes, or variations, etc, I just go with the flow.

There's an old FSM podcast that shows out some recurring elements in the original 3 scores, though they admit it might not have been intentional

Didn't Ottman tip his hat to Kamen?

And I'm pretty sure that Powell acknowledged the previous two scores - after all, he told me so himself.

Didn't Ottman tip his hat to Kamen?

And I'm pretty sure that Powell acknowledged the previous two scores - after all, he told me so himself.

yes, yes he did. there is a bit of continuity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So you know that cool cover art in the main post? Yea that's only for the international edition, apparently. Here in the US, we get this cover:

51bdu89MVkL._SY300_.jpg

Source: Amazon.

Also, the track list has been revealed

1. A Walk in the Woods
2. Threnody for Nagasaki
3. Logan Can’t Bear It
4. Logan’s Run
5. The Offer
6. Get Me to the Temple on Time
7. Who Invited the Yakuza?
8. Hold My Sword
9. Logan in the Latraine
10. Matzah-Hisu
11. Abduction
12. Logan’s Fun
13. Ninja Knocking
14. Kantana Surgery
15. The Wolverine
16. The Hidden Fortress
17. Silver Samurai
18. Sword of Vengence
19. Dreams
20. Abayo Mariko
21. Where to?
22. Whole Step Haiku

Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/06/15/the-wolverine-soundtrack-details/

Good, definitely the only artwork for the movie I've liked so far. I actually saved the poster on my computer planning to use it as a custom cover down the line, I guess it saves me the trouble.

From what I've seen, Beltrami is taking Giacchino's post as track-listing pun king.

Beltrami's been doing puns as long as Giacchino, if not before.

Karol

I have no idea who "DeputyRiley" is on FSM, but he has great things to say about this score:

Just listened today! What can I say, it's just freakin' awesome. I pretty much gush about Beltrami all the time, so it's nothing new from my keyboard, but Wolverine is just outstanding. Better than World War Z for sure, and nearly as brilliant as Snowpiercer, which in my opinion is a work of genius. Hyperbole, schmyperbole, I am passionate about this stuff. Wait till you hear what Beltrami did with the harmonica in Wolverine! biggrin.gif

Only heard the album, which has a few tweaks to be made but is nearing finalized. Will hear complete soon but am utterly captivated by the album, which is terrific -- very action-heavy towards the middle, a few beautiful delicate passages, some ethereal dreamy cues, some suspense, very epic towards the end ("Sword of Vengeance" hits insane heights of epicness and power). Doesn't go overboard with Japanese ethnic orchestration, it's there but not blunt force...except at times some Blade 2-esque percussive action music!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=91580&forumID=1&archive=0

Haven't seen the film obviously but the harmonica seems to represent the lone westerner in a faraway culture kind of thing.
along with thickly-orchestrated and -arranged percussion elements, some of the brass blasts also reminded me of Blade 2, even down to some timpani rolls that encouraged more B2 flashbacks...if you love the score you'll know what I mean. Get ready for Wolverine dude, it's your cup of sake!
Another ethnic aspect to the score is the ultratalented Sara Andon's flute performances, which are gorgeous in some of the prettier parts of the score, and subtly evoke Japan without going into common filmscore caricature.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon UK listing (linked to in the first post) has the track listing:

1. A Walk in the Woods
2. Threnody for Nagasaki
3. Euthanasia
4. Logan's Run
5. The Offer
6. Arriving at the Temple
7. Funeral Fight
8. Two Handed
9. Bullet Train
10. The Snare
11. Abduction
12. Trusting
13. Ninja Quiet
14. Kantana Surgery
15. The Wolverine
16. The Hidden Fortress
17. Silver Samurai
18. Sword of Vengence
19. Dreams
20. Goodbye Mariko
21. Where to?
22. Whole Step Haiku

Strange that they spelled Katana and Vengeance wrong...