For 'The President's Own'

gsburch

It looks to be a new piece, and if so, excellent news. Maybe the board member with the Air Force can steal some info from the Marines for us.

Awesome! Williams fanfares are great--I still can't get enough of Fenway. I hope this concert is recorded somehow.

I am a bit surprised that the news of this Fanfare has generated just about zero interest at least in terms of responses.

Well this is great news! Another celebratory work from Williams. Count me interested and excited! :)

I just emailed them and asked if it will be recorded and made available for those who cannot attend in any way.

Btw, for those in the area, admission is free (but spaces are limited). Unfortunately you're not allowed to bring a recording device unless you're given special permission.

He has composed so many ceremonial fanfares that, realistically, it probably will not be all that groundbreaking. That being said, a military/patriotic-type fanfare could be quite fantastic. I hope he pulls out all the stops.

Exciting news! Hope we'll get to hear it soon!

Williams tends to always push at least one element of this style a little further from ceremonial piece to ceremonial piece, and I'm looking forward to hearing what his musical preoccupations are these days.

This is the response I got :(

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately no, although you might want to consider contacting the Marine Band to see if it already exists on an album or as a download."

I used to get quite excited about these announcements, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what it MIGHT sound like, but I hope it's something like his marches from the 80s-90s

Hmm. I wrote something about this the day it was first posted, and just realized it's not here. User error, I'm certain.

Anyway, I sent an email to a couple people to see if they could give me any info about it, but haven't heard back yet. One is an archivist at the Library of Congress and also works with the Marine Band, so if anyone can get me info about it, it's him.

Unfortunately, my best contact would have been their Staff Arranger, Stephen Bulla, but he retired a couple years ago and I don't know the new guy.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I missed this thread. I guess were not up to date on the fanfares after all

Lets pray it's recorded and shows up on you tube

• 3 weeks later...

There's just a large majority of people who don't familiarize themselves with his concert works, regardless of size or occasion.

Yup. A shame, they're missing out.

A new Williams fanfare always brings great interest here. More than his concertos because all his fanfares are written in his film music style

It's just that' there's no report of anyone recording it or live stream going on

I'm just hoping some videos show up on you tube

I am a bit surprised that the news of this Fanfare has generated just about zero interest at least in terms of responses.

That's because it's not called "Harry Potter and the Presidents Own

Pfft... I only refer to it by the real title, Harry Potter and the Prime Minister's Own.

I emailed the concert venue, and they said no recording was going to be made.

You mean not even video?

Like some videos the band has uploaded to youtube?

(anyway, I just contacted them and will be waiting for their reply)

Any chance you can perform it, Airman?

Probably not right away Steef. They're a Marine Band and we are the Air Force, so it wouldn't be on the top of a priority list for our commanders. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but the amount of work just to get the music wouldn't be worth the effort.

If it gets published and is easily available though, that's a different story. We do play each other's music rather often, and I'm sure any of our groups would be happy to perform it.

Any chance you can perform it, Airman?

Probably not right away Stef. They're a Marine Band and we are the Air Force, so it wouldn't be on the top of a priority list for our commanders. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but the amount of work just to get the music wouldn't be worth the effort.

If it gets published and is easily available though, that's a different story. We do play each other's music rather often, and I'm sure any of our groups would be happy to perform it.

Is there rivalization between the two?

Can't wait for the "free" video with audio in 96kpps MP3

With all the innovations in video and sound quality nowadays, you'd think internet videos would have good audio quality... Instead, YouTube offers 1080p HD video content, but the audio quality is only AAC, at 192 kb/s... Everyone wants a Blu-Ray player in his/her living room (and of course a 70 inch television to actually see the difference), but no one really cares about sound quality.

Its Steef!

(Bloody airforce!)

FIXED! Bloody Auto-correct!

Thor:

No real rivalry, except the friendly kind that would exist between any two professional music performing groups. Almost all of us (military musicians in the AF Bands and in the Marine Band, at least) joined the military specifically to do our musical jobs, so we don't get hellbent on the inter-service rivalries like some folks.

I guess it's better to say it this way....

As an Air Force organization, our primary mission is to create publicity and public relations between the Air Force and public. But as a military group, we do create that publicity, on another level, for the whole military. That is to say, people at the concert may know they're hearing an Air Force Band, but they will easily just say it's a military band. Does that make sense? When you're playing in a tiny town in rural California, you'll find parents who's kid is in the Army or the Navy, but they enjoy the Air Force Band concert all the same because it's all just music, and much of it is patriotic (though not always).

We do perform all the service songs at most every concert, and of course vets from all branches get to stand when we play their song. And since it's nice to promote each other's branch of service, we'll frequently play something that may promote another branch. The old "You pat my back, I'll pat yours" mentality.

One good example is a piece written by (my own undergraduate theory/composition teacher) Robert Jager - a piece titled "Esprit de Corps," which he wrote as a commission for the US Marine Band. (The same one JW wrote this fanfare for). "Esprit de Corps" is based on the Marine's Hymn, and is just a fun 5-minute work that will fit on any concert, even though it is based on the Marine's Hymn. We've played it numerous times, and crowds always eat it up.

So, if Williams had written this Fanfare for the Air Force, you can bet each Air Force Band would be clamoring for it. But it's not, so we'll just plan on getting to it in due time, if it's published, and it would likely just fit on a program the same way "Esprit de Corps" would.

Sorry if that's too much, just wanted to clear that up.

ON a sidenote, "Esprit de Corps" is a fun piece with a little bit of an early-80s Williams feel in some ways. If you don't know it, do yourself a favor and spend 5 minutes on it.

Nice piece, airman. Almost like a film theme from an old war movie a la BATTLE OF BRITAIN (only more "American").

Thanks for the info too.

So not EVERYTHING you perform was written by John Philip Sousa?

Good Lord no! Although naturally all military bands have to do their penance and do a few marches on a concert. You'll also find anything from a good orchestral transcription to a Broadway number with a vocalist, or maybe something from a movie. There's also usually a couple of "staples," which are those pieces that every group is expected to know and have become cornerstones of concert band literature. Anything by Grainger would fit into that category, or Holst. Another fun one is the Hindemith Symphony for Band, which was written for the Army Band in 1951 or so.

Actually, you'd probably find a little of all these types of tunes on most good military band concerts. We even did an all-Williams concert a few years ago at the Warner Grand Theater in L.A. That was fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I have some great news!!! :)

I received their reply:

Yes, we plan to post a video of the fanfare in early July when we celebrate our 215th anniversary.

It seems early July will become mid-July. (I hope)

yeah...

On the other hand we do have a video of Williams conducting 10 seconds of Fanfare for Fenway and the piece was never released officially

yeah...

On the other hand we do have a video of Williams conducting 10 seconds of Fanfare for Fenway and the piece was never released officially

Oh you are just so full of hope and high expectations. :P

The marine facebook page showed Williams instructing the group via teleconference for the May concert premiere, which means this picture is from a more recent recording event. I would say this virtually guarantees a release at some point.