Michael Giacchino's Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Matt C

Great news.

Will he have to use Doyle's material? I hope not, it's supposed to happen many years later (different characters i mean), and lately it seems sequels dont keep themes if they change composers...

Different director, different characters, different composer... no reason to use any of ROTPOTA's themes IMHO. I think Giacchino would be more likely to reference Goldsmith's score than Doyle's...

I need to listen to Land Of the Lost again. Only listened to the CD once, and have never seen the film. The film's bad, right?

if Karol tells you it embarrassing, well this time he's right.

it's okay for a rainy afternoon when you don't want to leave the house and the remote is somewhere under the cushions.

I did not like Rise of The Planet of the Apes, no. It was stupid.

Better films released in 2011 include Rango, Sucker Punch, Source Code, Hanna, Thor, Midnight In Paris, X-Men First Class, Super 8, Harry Potter 8, Captain America, Crazy Stupid Love, Our Idiot Brother, Contagion, Hugo, MI4, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Tintin, and War Horse.

Surprised you don't think Tree of Life is the best film of that summer.

I don't consider The Tree Of Life a Summer blockbuster, which is what I initially meant. And yes, there were better films released in other parts of the year, but I enjoyed that one the most out of the 'big' Summer ones.

Narrowing to just that summer, Captain American and Super 8 were WAY better movies

Giacchino's a smart cookie. I think he'll reference some of Patrick Doyle's material in the score... but who knows?

There may be a reference to Doyle's score, but there's no way he won't reference Goldsmith. Giacchino loves referencing previous scores for franchises and it would be great to hear that kind of music developing in this world.

Giacchino's a smart cookie. I think he'll reference some of Patrick Doyle's material in the score... but who knows?

There may be a reference to Doyle's score, but there's no way he won't reference Goldsmith. Giacchino loves referencing previous scores for franchises and it would be great to hear that kind of music developing in this world.

Also, Gia likes to bring in Emil Richards - who was responsible for some of the weird sounds in the original POTA (i.e. angklungs, stainless steel mixing bowls, cuica, log drums, boo bams, lujons, and death knell).

I think this has the probability of being the most unique out of Giacchino's 2013-2015 output

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Matt Reeves will direct the third film and co-write it with Mark Bomback. Fox must really love how Dawn of the Apes is shaping up, and I expect Giacchino will follow him as well.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/planet-of-the-apes-3-matt-reeves-director/#more-660121

He'll move directly to the third film after finishing the second one.

I'm actually surprised Fox moved that quickly. Usually studios settle new deals for directors and writers for sequels a week before or after a movie comes out.

I hope it means this film is good.

• 3 months later...

Recording for the DOTPOTA score begins tomorrow. Giacchino posted an instagram video today of him hiking by the original POTA's shooting locations

http://instagram.com/p/nllS5Qldve/

And here' s a video he shot yesterday while the recording stage was being prepared for DOTPOTA recording

http://instagram.com/p/njWGQkldqI/

And there's this

1389434_501885766603961_699998970_n.jpg