Spielberg announces Halo TV series

Quintus

Wow, that came out of nowhere

Not entirely. There were plans to make a Halo movie (directed by Blomkamp and produced by PJ, if I remember correctly). Of course, that never came to be.

A blessing in disguise, perhaps. A tv production has the potential to do much greater justice to the universe and its lore than a movie ever did.

what is Halo, other than some shoot-um up game?

Halo is a multi-billion dollar science fiction video game franchise created by Bungie and now managed by 343 Industries and owned by Microsoft Studios. The series centers on an interstellar war between humanity and a theocratic alliance of aliens known as the Covenant. The Covenant are led by their religious leaders, The Prophets, and worship an ancient civilization known as the Forerunners, who perished in combat with the parasitic Flood. Many of the games center on the experiences of Master Chief John-117, a cybernetically enhanced human super-soldier, and his artificial intelligence (AI) companion, Cortana. The term "Halo" refers to the Halo rings: large, habitable structures that were created by the Forerunners to destroy the Flood. They are similar to the Orbitals in Iain M Banks' Culture novels, and author Larry Niven's Ringworld concept.[1][2]

Story overview

In the distant past, an intellectual race called the Forerunners fought an alien parasite known as the Flood. The Flood, which spread through infestation of sentient life, overran much of the Milky Way Galaxy. One of the races affected was humanity, who went into space and came into conflict with the Forerunners. Exhausted by their war and after having explored all other options, the Forerunners conceived a weapon of last resort to combat the Flood. Using an installation known as the Ark, they built large ring-shaped megastructures known as Halos. The Halo Array, when activated, would destroy all sentient life in the galaxy—depriving the Flood of their food. Delaying as long as they could, the Forerunners activated the rings and disappeared.[12]

Tens of thousands of years later, in the 26th century, humanity—under the auspices of the United Nations Space Command, or UNSC—colonize many worlds thanks to the development of faster-than-light "slipspace" travel. Tensions escalate between the older and more stable "Inner Colonies" and the remote "Outer Colonies", leading to civil war. The UNSC creates an elite group of enhanced supersoldiers, known as Spartans, to suppress the rebellion covertly.[13] In the year 2525, the human colony of Harvest falls under attack by a theocratic alliance of alien races known as the Covenant. The Covenant leadership declares humanity heretics and an affront to their gods—the Forerunners—and begins a holy war of genocide. The Covenant's superior technology and numbers prove decisive advantages; though effective, the Spartans are too few in number to turn the tide of battle in humanity's favor.

In 2552, the Covenant arrive at Reach, the UNSC's last major stronghold beyond Earth, and launch an invasion of the planet. The last Spartans and UNSC military are unable to stop the Covenant from bombarding the surface with plasma. Following directives to avoid leading the Covenant to Earth, Cortana, the AI aboard the fleeing UNSC ship Pillar of Autumn, selects random coordinates that lead the ship to a Halo installation. The Covenant follow, damaging the Autumn and leading its crew to take the fight to the ring's surface. The Covenant accidentally release Flood imprisoned on the ring; in order to nullify the threat, the ring's AI caretaker, 343 Guilty Spark, enlists the help of the Spartan, John-117, or Master Chief. However, before the pair can activate Halo's defenses, Cortana reveals that Halo's activation would mean their own destruction. Master Chief and Cortana instead detonate the Autumn's engines, destroying Halo and preventing the escape of the Flood. They return to Earth with a few other human survivors, warning of an impending Covenant attack.

The Covenant, unaware of the destructive nature of the rings, attempt to fire another ring, Installation 05, in order to fulfill their religious prophecy.[14] and to do so launch an attack on Earth. Helping the Chief to defend the Earth are SergeantAvery Johnson and Commander Miranda Keyes. One race in the Covenant, the Elites, learn the truth about the rings, and join forces with humanity in order to stop the firing of the ring. Though they are successful, the unexpected shutdown of the installation triggers a fail-safe protocol, priming all the rings for firing from one location, referred to as the Ark.[15] Still oblivious to the true nature of the rings, the Covenant High Prophet of Truth and the remaining loyalist Covenant proceed to head to Earth, where they believe the Ark is buried. A battle rages on Earth between human forces, the Covenant and a Flood-infected army. Eventually, the Covenant is repulsed and flees through a slipspace portal, and the Flood is purged from Earth, resulting in the devastation of Africa....

Read all about it HERE.

It's vile filth which should be banned.

doesn't sound like vile filth, just a very heavily plotted story that I know nothing about.

doesn't sound like vile filth, just a very heavily plotted story that I know nothing about.
Well, it's an usually rich sci-fi universe in the vein of Starship Troopers meets Battlestar Galactica. Unlikely to be done properly, but if it were to be it has the potential to be a major new sci-fi saga. It doesn't hurt to have my fingers crossed.

Would the first episode of the show start where the original Halo game starts, or would it start with that game that took place before Halo 1?

Well, it's an usually rich sci-fi universe in the vein of Starship Troopers meets Battlestar Galactica. Unlikely to be done properly, but if it were to be it has the potential to be a major new sci-fi saga. It doesn't hurt to have my fingers crossed.

keep them crossed. sounds very very expensive

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I dunno. I think a TV show is good or bad based on how good or bad it is, not because of what it's based on. Millions of people watched The Witcher and only a small percent had read the books. 

This show being good or bad is completely unrelated to how prevalent the video game series currently is if you ask me. It will be good or bad if it tells a cool story in a cool way or not. 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno. I think a TV show is good or bad based on how good or bad it is, not because of what it's based on. Millions of people watched The Witcher and only a small percent had read the books. 

Also, with GoT just finished, there was a gap to fill for dark fantasy. ;)

Right but that was just one random example. 

Battlestar Galactica was based on some goofy 70s show and it turned out to be incredible. 

Hannibal was the third adaptation of the same book and it ended up being one of the best shows of the 2010s

Etc etc

I'm not saying I'm expecting Halo to be good or anything, I'm just saying the newer games not being as good as the older games doesn't really have anything to do with the story they're gonna tell in the show, or how they tell it

I think for the most part the viewers of this show will primarily be newcomers, considering most of the Halo community seems to be very disillusioned about the show not following the established canon, and will be discounting even the older games' stories.

People will watch if there's a good trailer and marketing, and / or good word of mouth from critics. 

Showtime needs a hit so they'll probably be pretty hands on which could go either way 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good question!

If it's tied to your email address whether you can do another one or not, just use a different email address

If it's tied to your credit card whether you can do another one or not, just use a different credit card

If it's tied to your physical address, well, hmmm

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Good question!

If it's tied to your email address whether you can do another one or not, just use a different email address

If it's tied to your credit card whether you can do another one or not, just use a different credit card

If it's tied to your physical address, well, hmmm

Well with the re-branding/re-launch they might just wipe the slate clean, in terms of letting inactive users do trials again.  I can hope!