Spielberg announces Halo TV series

Quintus

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Jay said:

He's still credited as an Executive Producer

Exactly what that means in this case who knows

An Executive Producer credit basically means he's one of the many people who gets to offer an opinon. It need not be followed.

Also, executive producer credits are grandfathered into contracts. I would reckon about 50-60% of exec producers have absolutely nothing to do with the projects they get credit on. 

• 2 weeks later...

He won the Emmy Award for Best Original Score in 2010 for an episode of 24. Problem is, he defeated Giacchino's wonderful score for the Lost series finale that year, which made me realize how crappy the Emmys are.

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

His name sounds vaguely familiar but I don't know anything about him or his music.

He's the guy that scored 24 and Homeland

So, the only work of Sean Callery's I had heard was Jessica Jones Season 1, and all I remembered was the main theme. However, I had a bit of a poke around into some of the other tracks and I have to say I think he might actually be a good fit for Halo if given good direction. He seems to have both post-rock and orchestral chops which I think fits because Halo's sound is defined by a blend of rock and more traditional compositional elements. Even his action music for 24 gives me Halo vibes, particularly with the use of the piano and strings it recalls something from the Bungie games era:

On 15/02/2022 at 12:47 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

Unironically my favorite TV composer.

Please post some of your favorite tracks of his, especially if you think they fit the sound of Halo

Well, I'm a huge huge 24 fan. But you're right. That sort of mix of orchestral and electronic percussive would work well for Halo.

Some of the tracks that I could see could fit Halo with a little bit of alterations in style to make it more Halo-y:

...and that's assuming they even want it to sound like Halo. Sometimes these TV projects want to give it a completely original style. But just visually it seems like they want to keep it very recognizable while also doing totally their own thing narratively.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

I find this extra ordinary and maybe marketing spin.

Do people remember how much Nolan was pegged to Man of Steel. It was essentially pegged to be almost his film in disguise. Turns out he had far less to do with it than was marketed. 

So I just feel uncertain how involved Speilberg was with this. Is he going to do the press junket for this film? That would be interesting. 

Terminator sequels?  That isn't me, i think you're thinking of gistech.  I haven't even seen all of those!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I see what you meant now

Hm, I've actually never seen Jay be short for James myself here, maybe it's a British thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer on repeat accepted, every aspect of this screams pre streaming era TV to me. It looks cheap and tacky upscaled for the latest 4K TVs, as if veneered fidelity alone is expected to do the brunt of the heavy lifting. Only the black dude from Fargo gives me reason enough to maybe trial it, because everything else is terrible - as seen in the trailer.

I don't care about the game's actual lore, that's not my issue with this spinoff at all. It just looks like broad sci-fi with the budget of a live action video game cutscene.

A great show is great because of storytelling and performance, full stop.  There have been so many amazing series that managed to be great despite looking “cheap.”  I have no interest in Halo as a property though.