Conversations - New Chamber (piano solo) by John Williams

pro-arte

Sigh....

Let me rephrase that.

Sure. But the fact that his repertoire in this area is so skinny could explains why this is so comparatively un-engaging!

I enjoy it as a John Williams piece, in the sense that it's always interesting to hear how his musical brain thinks and what it comes up with, but that is entirely different thing from this being an engaging piece of music.

This is coffee-shop music, written by a composer who doesn't often write coffee shop. You can certainly masturbate to his choice of rests and note pairings, but that's a bit like masturbating to the type of nails IM Pei chose to nail his backyard shed together with on a free weekend. :P

Now you can sigh all you want about that, but I have a feeling this thread is gonna get very...sticky soon in response to my disparaging comments, so I'm outta here!

AND BEFORE I LET THE DOOR HIT ME ON THE WAY OUT...

I just want to say that Marcus' "4 Memento Mori" is far more engaging and satisfying piano music than anything on this bloody album.

You're kidding yourself if you think there'll be outrage. No, no one will piss themselves over this like they did when I said I don't like E.T.

The people don't care about this music. It's simple. This is JWFilmScoreFan, not JWFan.

You're kidding yourself if you think there'll be outrage. No, no one will piss themselves over this like they did when I said I don't like E.T.

The people don't care about this music. It's simple. This is JWFilmScoreFan, not JWFan.

Well if it's any consolation, I don't like ET either. Never have. I appreciate it because I am a John Williams fan, but I don't like it.

If my favorite composer is writing music I like all the time, he's probably not pushing himself outside of his comfort zone, and I don't want that.

I just want to say that Marcus' "4 Memento Mori" is far more engaging and satisfying piano music than anything on this bloody album.

The fourth movement is perhaps more engaging than the Giacchino and Newman pieces.

The fourth movement is perhaps more engaging than the Giacchino and Newman pieces.

I'm curious, what do you like about the Williams piece?

I hear an old man taking a smokey nocturnal stroll through time back to his youth to have a few words with some gentlemen who were the most distinctive influences on his musical voice. He nods his head at each, and slowly moves on.

I'm rarely more "engaged" by a piece than when I sense that sort of intimate and personal journey taking place.

I hear an old man taking a smokey nocturnal stroll through time back to his youth to have a few words with some gentlemen who were the most distinctive influences on his musical voice. He nods his head at each, and slowly moves on.

I'm rarely more "engaged" by a piece than when I sense that sort of intimate and personal journey taking place.

Hmmm...I'll give it a shot. Maybe I've been listening to it in the wrong places.

• 2 months later...

Alright, I confess, Conversations is growing on me. It does help to listen to it in a more fitting context than on a bright sunny afternoon.

Still not a fan of the performance. But I see the goodness of the piece!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I received a Kickstarter update from Gloria today:

Dear All 98 of You*,

The UCLA Music Library has invited us to screen the finished movie and to play a mini-recital from the CD on Saturday, October 15, at UCLA Schoenberg Hall. The composers and producer will be there for a Q&A afterwards.

Tickets are free, but you'll need to reserve.
https://www.library.ucla.edu/events/montage

I wanted you to be the first to know!
Hope to see you there,
Gloria

*I'm one of the 98 :)

I didn't know there was a film too (yeah, yeah....I'm sure it's been discussed before). Cool! I'm also curious if ALL the composers will attend, or just a selection. Give us a report, Mari!

You commented on it when it was originally posted Thor :)

On 1/7/2015 at 2:23 AM, Koray Savas said:

On 1/7/2015 at 11:31 AM, Thor said:

Yes, indeed. Blind buy. But I'm almost looking equally much forward to the full documentary.

• 3 weeks later...

Received in a Montage kickstarter email update:

The event tonight is completely sold out, and there are more than 60 on the waiting list! But you can watch it online here, begins at 8pm PDT.  Here is the link to watch: https://www.schoolofmusic.ucla.edu/school-of-music-live-streams

Unfortunately, I'm not in California won't be able to attend, but I am looking forward to seeing the live stream coverage.:D

Here's the info:

Description

Please join the UCLA Music Library for a documentary film screening and recital from Grammy award-winning pianist Gloria Cheng.

In 2015, Gloria Cheng launched MONTAGE: Great film composers and the piano, a CD and documentary film featuring solo works composed for her by leading artists in the industry, Bruce Broughton, Don Davis, Alexandre Desplat, Michael Giacchino, Randy Newman and John Williams

Following the film and performance will be a panel with Cheng and the award-winning composers, moderated by Ben Proudfoot, MONTAGE executive producer.

Presented by the UCLA Music Library with funding from the Hugo Davise Fund for Contemporary Music. Programs and events, such as this one, are possible thanks to generous donations from people like you. If you would like to support the work of the UCLA Music Library, please click here to make your gift today!

For more information about Montage, please visit the Facebook page.

Seating is limited. Due to a high expected demand, advance reservations are required to attend the event. Please note ticketholders arriving after 7:55 will forfeit their reservation. If stand-by tickets are offered, they will only be available the day of event once all patrons with tickets have been seated.

I have seen the film and heard the phenomenal Gloria Cheng play afterwards. It's a wonderful film, beautiful images and crystal sound. She has been touring the film around the US and Canada, as part of her very busy schedule. http://www.gloriachengpiano.com/gloria_cheng_performances.html
I'm told 5 of the composers will be there tonight. I will be there tonight, traffic permitting!

14424840_1221132344612026_802275516077268175_o.jpg

On 9/26/2016 at 3:36 PM, Mari said:

*I'm one of the 98 :)

Thanks Mari, you helped make it possible :)

A great album....
Well, the film is lovely. The recital will be brilliant. The album is an experiment that sometimes works. I like Conversations and Family Album, they are great to hear live. The artists with extensive concert experience write pretty good concert music. There's even a YT clip of Randy Newman playing a fun section of Family Album. 
BTW, please forgive the big image, I thought it'd be smaller.
Can you change the size of an image in a post?

I can't see any picture?!

But I'm very interested in knowing more about the documentary premiere; I think I saw ONE photo of the event, and Williams was there.

Here's Jon Burlingame's report:

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2016/101716.html

Referring to the new pieces, Williams said, "All this music reflects our feelings, characteristics, experiences, personalities and so on. It's inescapable, really, like one's handwriting or thumbprint."

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh man, Randy Newman and John Williams sat next to each other to listen to each other's solo piano compositions.  Once in a lifetime!

Actually, Newman was a guest at one Evening at Pops concert, back in 1991, and even shared conducting duties with Williams.

John Williams knows all the Newmans very well; in fact, they're like his 'extended family', or so he's said -- from way back when he worked with Alfred and Lionel. So that's not so surprising. I got a bigger kick out of seeing Williams and Morricone together earlier this year.

Thanks for the photos and updates, though (that Neal Acree is a lucky bastard!). I really hope we get to see this documentary soon.

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Burlingame says in the article that the documentary is available on Vimeo on demand:

Well that's a bit of a surprise/disappointment for those of us who contributed at a level that was to provide us with a "Digital download of our finished DOCUMENTARY FILM before we upload it to YouTube" (emphasis added).  Granted, it's on Vimeo, not YouTube, but it's the principle.  Off to email Ms. Cheng...

That whole thing should be underscored by Williams' main theme from Monsignor.

1 hour ago, David Story said:

She asked some of the film composers she knows (she also records soundtracks) to write piano works. Then she ran a successful Kickstarter to fund the recording and documentary. Called MONTAGE (it's here on fb).

I like how you introduced your post by this, as if none of us have heard of this project or discussed it before, LOL! :) However, thanks for the report! Sounds like a wonderful evening.

On 19-10-2016 at 11:03 AM, Thor said:

Don Williams? What does John's baby brother's gotta do with it? ;)

dsc_8118.jpg

The speakers at the back are interesting.