Conversations - New Chamber (piano solo) by John Williams

pro-arte

I don't understand why the record label doesn't finance this cd, that they have to resort to kickstarter to raise the funds.

Quoting Ms. Cheng:

Nowadays even established labels like Harmonia Mundi often ask their recording artists to provide a finished master, after which the company handles the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of the CD. That is my contractual arrangement for this disc, as it was with my most recent disc with them, The Edge of Light...which actually got us a 2013 Grammy nomination!

Not that I understand why "established labels" aren't ponying up the money for such recordings meant for release, though.

PLUS a photoshoot next to a sequoia tree.

If it's just me by a sequoia (a younger, smaller one, not one of the ancient ones that can be found in California), I can have it for free, just a walk away from home :)

I can't help it, but I find Kickstarter campaigns that don't include the actual thing you're backing (in this case: the album as either a digital download or a physical CD) among their reasonable tiers. You only the get CD if you give at least $50.

Perhaps this is just my lower middle class naivete speaking, but cannot the composers, who are all millionaires, just front the damn cash themselves? It is pocket change for them.

Perhaps this is just my lower middle class naivete speaking, but cannot the composers, who are all millionaires, just front the damn cash themselves? It is pocket change for them.

Yes, I thought of that too but didn't mention it.

Kickstarter is and should be about artists with NO funds, raising money for their projects.

It doesn't seem a bit right to me, when world famous artists of any kind use it.

If each of the composers involved, gave $2666 (i guess this would be the salary of a day), Voila! The sum would be raised! :)

Yeah that crossed my mind as well. You know to help out a friend.

But I guess they can go to dinner with each other and experience such recording sessions on a whim any day. ;)

she's kind of beats around the bush as the what the money is used for. she mentions the williams piece as a gift, but for the other composers I'm sure she had to pay. 16,000 for recording a solo piano+doc should cost nowhere near that much.

Actually, you don't get a CD (a signed pre-release version) until you pledge $500!!

It's worth it, though, because the music is "coming straight from the composers' innermost souls." Williams has been coasting on his outer soul for the last several years, so this will be a return to form.

It's that lazy outer soul that gave us TBT, the trash.

That rebel scum!

Backed.

Did you go for the "free complementary turtleneck, 2 pages of autographs and a dinner with John Williams" option?

Nah ;) Decided $50 was enough to support this as I really like the talent involved. And to those who are on the fence, she just emailed saying the label agreed to print more CDs to give as prizes to pledges of $50 or more. Looks like I picked the right amount!

Nah ;) Decided $50 was enough to support this as I really like the talent involved. And to those who are on the fence, she just emailed saying the label agreed to print more CDs to give as prizes to pledges of $50 or more. Looks like I picked the right amount!

Yup. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1542050667/great-film-composers-and-the-piano-cd-video-by-glo/posts/791643

I don't have a single dime to sponsor this project, unfortunately, but I would certainly buy the CD for a normal price if that were an option down the road.

Heh hee, now it's 100%, thanks to me.

Now we can say Finland had significant contribution in making this John Williams release happen. ;)

I'll record a new version of this (with the guitar in tune) for $16,000. Hell, I'll do it for $15,000.

That's great that it's being financed, although I'm still flabbergasted as to why a regular record company couldn't do this the normal way. Now comes the long waiting time for the recording and release to happen.

I see the money's still coming in, however. I wonder what they're doing with the surplus.

As with all good and proper kickstarters there should be stretch goals!

That also sounds like a great name for a band: The Stretch Goals.

Awesome!! I knew this project would reach its goal for funding. Now the release of the Maestro's new concert piece, Conversations, will happen!

Thank you, Gloria Cheng, all involved in this project, and all who contributed to funding the project through generous donations.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the 16,000 target was easily reached. 20,691 at present with a few days left.

And the recordings were scheduled to take place this weekend. Hopefully everything went according to plan and schedule.

Well the 16,000 target was easily reached. 20,691 at present with a few days left.

And the recordings were scheduled to take place this weekend. Hopefully everything went according to plan and schedule.

With that extra money, she should record Williams piano sonata from 1951! :)

pff, I think you all got ripped off

but if it works, can we kickstart recordings for the fanfares we don't have in studio quality sound? (Michael Dukakis,Ten Year Olds...)

I was fortunate enough to attend these recordings and the first day was a success. I'm not allowed to divulge the location, but I had the very welcome pleasure of meeting Bruce Broughton, Don Davis, and Michael Giacchino today as each of their compositions was recorded today. I was lucky enough to meet a few fellow members of this website as well. The pianist, Gloria Cheng, is extraordinarily talented and hard-working, and everyone was extremely humble. This project is going to turn out nicely. The level of professionalism that goes into a recording project such as this is quite remarkable, and from witnessing the entire recording session I now have a greater appreciation of the craft as a result of it. Tomorrow, the Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, and John Williams works are to be recorded, with Desplat the only one who will not be in attendance. The pieces that I've heard this far are all unique in style, and I think the album will have a broad enough variety to make it an enjoyable listening experience. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off at all. I hope to have more positive feedback from Monday's sessions!

Wow, that is great! Please share any and all info you can about the Williams recording process, I am dying for more info. And I hope the other JWFan who attended will post something as well :)