New JW piece to premiere this Thursday

indy4

Hi everyone,

As was revealed in a recent JW interview, JW's piece celebrating the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg will be premiered this Thursday.

I don't remember if any other details were given? We should probably start trying to see if thsi will be broadcast anywhere.

I remember Williams saying June as well. I wonder, though. The anniversary for the battle at Gettysburg is June, but for the Gettysburg address, it is November. Given that we have not heard anything, could it be that whatever he wrote is for November and not this summer? Or maybe there is information available that I have not seen.

I wrote in my calendar June 6th in my calendar...I don't think I would have done that if it we didn't get a specific date.

Weirdly when I google "John Williams gettysburg" I don't find anything remotely related.

My guess is that he'll premiere it in the BPO concerts next week (at least that's what I've assumed all these months). Normally, they don't publish the program of the concert on the website, so we'll have to wait for our fellow JWFan members' reviews.

My guess is that he'll premiere it in the BPO concerts next week (at least that's what I've assumed all these months). Normally, they don't publish the program of the concert on the website, so we'll have to wait for our fellow JWFan members' reviews.

According to JWFAN, he's got concerts on June 4 and June 7th, but the BBC said it would premiere June 6th. So I wonder if this will not be conducted by him?

Williams dates in Boston are on the 7th and 8th and then again on the 11th and 12th.

He might be on Pennsylvania on the 6th, it's not that far away from Boston... Of course, the premiere might be in Boston, or someone else might be conducting the work in Pennsylvania.

I found this calendar of events for the 150th anniversary but there is no entry for the 6th.

Does anybody remember when in the BBC interview JW mentions this piece? I don't have time to listen through 5 hours of interview...

I found the quote, about 20 minutes into the third segment of the interview:

"They're always a challenge, I have one now that has to do with the 150th memorial of our Gettysburg battle in Pennsylvania, which will be performed on June 6th of 2013."

Hard to tell if he's saying the performance will be in PA, or just the battle. Based on the information we have, I'm going to guess that JW said the wrong date in the interview, and that it will be conducted by somebody else.

I'd speculate that Williams gave the wrong date during the interview. If I had to guess, I'd say this commemorative ceremony on June 30th with the United States Military Academy Orchestra performing and Doris Kearns Goodwin giving the keynote would be the most likely candidate: http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/150th-anniversary-events-2013.htm.

Its JW's theme underscoring my arrival to the New World.

Modest as always I see.

I hope it is titled in the vein of his 1970's scores like "Something for Stefan" or "The Arrival of Stefan and Concert Hall Fugue" or just "The Stefan Scene".

• 5 weeks later...

I just listened to JW's "A Capitol Fourth" Lincoln arrangements. He retooled them quite a bit, although nothing we haven't heard in some guise. I wonder if this is the Gettysburg piece he mentioned? The aunnoncer did specifically mention Gettysburg's 150th anniversary before the music played, and as far as I can tell this concert arrangement was written specifically for the occasion.

I think this might be it too. It seemed really specific the way the announcer said it

And if he composed another piece why wouldn't he have performed it there?