Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

I like Zimmer.

But you're right. Samples first. Or film first, for that matter. Can't justify spending this much on something I've not heard even a tiny snippet of.

Karol

Why would you want to order this anyway? Are you expecting to get $40 worth of enjoyment out of this set?

Jesus Christ Jay, we get it. You don't like him.

Huh? I own plenty of Zimmer scores.

Doesn't mean that $40 is not way too much for 2 hours of music, especially before anyone's heard a note of it.

Wrong. We've heard about five minutes of it.

Production notes are out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4C9FN_1M1sxYXVWNy15dlVidXM/view#_=_

The score has woodwind parts! And was recorded (at least partly) at Temple Church in London.

Doesn't mean that $40 is not way too much for 2 hours of music, especially before anyone's heard a note of it.

And if it was Episode VII you'd pre-order it ;)

The odds of that actually happening are like 3,725 to 1. It only happens with awful Zimmer and Giacchino scores because they are beloved by this new generation of phone-staring nitwits.

And if it was Episode VII you'd pre-order it ;)

The odds of that actually happening are like 3,725 to 1. It only happens with awful Zimmer and Giacchino scores because they are beloved by this new generation of phone-staring nitwits.

It can happen as long as the composer wants it to. Even Klaus Badelt released this super deluxe limited $300 version of some random family drama score of his. Williams just loves his 60 minute OSTs.

I wouldn't buy this thing for 40 bucks.

Not because the package isn't nice, or the price too high, it's just that 2 CDs would be too much for any Zimmer score. The releases for Man of Steel and Amazing Spider-Man 2 are such an indistinguishable mush that nobody in his right mind would buy another 2 disc presentation of his new scores, unless he really adores Zimmer.

A 50 minutes single disc release would be enough for any Zimmer score.

I guess that makes me a Zimmer fan because I disagree. Every soundtrack always left me wanting more

Allthough to be fair, its more to do with the subpar selection they put on the actual CDs

(Like in the case of MoS, where I would have switched a few tracks with a few others. One of which I am pretty sure was ghostwritten by someone else anyway)

I wouldn't buy this thing for 40 bucks.

Not because the package isn't nice, or the price too high, it's just that 2 CDs would be too much for any Zimmer score. The releases for Man of Steel and Amazing Spider-Man 2 are such an indistinguishable mush that nobody in his right mind would buy another 2 disc presentation of his new scores, unless he really adores Zimmer.

Interesting theory. Please, continue. We're all very intrigued.

One thing I can agree on: Zimmer used to make very nice tight album programmes. Not so much these days with all those Deluxe editions. I wish he just rearranged them completely for smoother listening pleasure, rather than presenting extra content at the end.

Karol

It's not enough for The Lion King, Prince of Egypt or Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

One thing I can agree on: Zimmer used to make very nice tight album programmes. Not so much these days with all those Deluxe editions. I wish he just rearranged them completely for smoother listening pleasure, rather than presenting extra content at the end.

Karol

I think he is still trying to make amends for POTC4

That and completionists are always out there

For Man of Steel, "Hans' Sketchbook" would be enough. Zimmer doesn't score the picture anyway, he's just laying wallpaper, so what's the difference? It's not like it's tailored to scenes.

The PotC 3 CD is plenty.

Forget it, amh1219. It's gkgyver.

133588.jpg?v=1

Oh, clever.

Does the lacking imagination of RCP rub off on you?

any samples released yet? I want samples! also, that cover is freakin sexy.

They don't want any music released till the film is out. Fair enough and actually makes sense.

Karol

any samples released yet? I want samples! also, that cover is freakin sexy.

I knew I liked you!

But there are some "samples" in the form of the teaser trailer and IMAX trailer.

Wrong thread. Bitching about the film goes in the film thread. Bitching about the score will go here.

Acceptable posts for this thread:

WHY IS THERE NO JEWEL CASE RELEASE?

WHY IS THIS $40????!!!

WHY IS THE COMPOSITION AND COLOR OF THE COVER SO SUB-PAR??

WHY DO I CONTINUE TO FOLLOW AND LISTEN TO SCORES BY THIS GUY I HAVE AN IRRATIONAL HATRED FOR???

So apparently you get a track from the score, "Day One Dark", if you order trickets through movietickets.com:

http://www.movietickets.com/movie/mid/159557

I already ordered mine elsewhere. So does anyone want to order so we can get some more music?

It's already found its way onto the internet. ;)

Apparently the teaser piece and the IMAX piece represent two main musical ideas. This cue represents a third, which was said to be much darker. It's actually derived from the brief piano line at the start of the teaser piece. You can hear another variation of it in the third clip that was released earlier as well.

I really like it. It's very different, but in a way classic sturm und drang Hans. But I doubt the darker material of this score will win many of you over, if this is representative.

I bet it's not your cup of tea, but we've obviously heard a much different dimension of the score as well prior to this.

But I dig it. Eerie droning, quasi-Ligeti choir that actually has character and isn't some trailer wailing, flutter-tongue flutes, and dat organ.

Also, if this isn't a suite, I think I know what's happening during it, and I think it's going to be rather gripping. I actually think it might be a suite though, since it's not the first time he's put out "Day One" tracks, and "dark" is a typical title element for his cues as well ("Mal dark suite" from Inception, for instance). Maybe this, the teaser cue, and the IMAX cue were his initial three theme suite thingies.

Interesting indeed!

First off, it's very loud, almost overwhelmingly so. But as it went on, I really dug it.

It's beginning brings to memory the rumbling that opened up The Thin Red Line. Sort of like Thin Red Line with a touch of Ligeti (or at least an attempt at the sound). And then the full force of the organs and low woodwind ostinati is let loose This is going to turn some people off, that's for certain, but I actually really liked it. There's an ominouis motif churning beneath, with the teaser theme being extrapolated by the organ (which was neat). And it had this devlish Philip Glass vibe to it that I enjoyed. Kind of like Koyaniqaatsi on steroids or something.

My major gripe with is that it's sheer volume threatens the sound of it all, nearly swallowing up all the details. And this is probably what will deter most here. And I'm a bit concerned this may play against the picture as well. But I actually really dug it. It's Zimmer unleashing his full melodrama, but with a modern Zimmer twist.

Count me in! And as you said, there's a whole other ethereal dimension which will likely play the score's major highlights. But I'm liking this too!