London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

So, he did contemplate using the LSO at some stage of the composition, but came to the realization that the months of scoring meant that the LSO was out of the window.

Looks like it, yes. I guess the post-production schedule and method ruled it out in the end.

On my wish list would be a double album of fresh recordings of SW concert pieces (similar to the OT skywalker symphony) with the LSO. Maybe once Williams has decided to call it quits with scoring SW movies, he would do such a thing.

The Sony Scoring Stage has such a cooler sound, though.

Is that the one they recorded KOTCS at?

Well I was thinking of JP, but yeah. :P

The more I think of it, I wouldn't say no to Air Studios. Lyndhurst Hall has an adjustable ceiling (you can raise or lower the height), and I'd imagine JW would be intrigued by the possibilities in colour.

The Sony Scoring Stage has such a cooler sound, though.

Is that the one they recorded KOTCS at?

Well I was thinking of JP, but yeah. :P

The more I think of it, I wouldn't say no to Air Studios. Lyndhurst Hall has an adjustable ceiling (you can raise or lower the height), and I'd imagine JW would be intrigued by the possibilities in colour.

JP1? That's one of JW's best sounding scores!

Perhaps KOTCS was just a fluke...

Sony (although Todd-AO should still exist)

Meyerson. Meyerson. Meyerson.

Keep in mind that his Zimmer sound is not his only sound. I think he's the best recording engineer working regularly today, and he'll be just as good in a Williams aesthetic.

Sony.

Meyerson. Meyerson. Meyerson.

Keep in mind that his Zimmer sound is not his only sound. I think he's the best recording engineer working regularly today, and he'll be just as good in a Williams aesthetic.

I doubt it. Williams will probably use the same crew/venue he always has.

Keep in mind that his Zimmer sound is not his only sound.

Any examples of a more present, punchier sound?

Great to see you've dropped the anonymous login BS, BTW. ;)

'The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!'

His JNH stuff is 2000s Williamsy (though Shawn Murphy had a hand in LITW, it's kind of a mess in general with him, Meyerson, and Iwataki involved to one degree or another) - there's a fair amount of room, but it still gets vicious. Kong is probably the "punchiest." Actually the first Pirates is pretty dry too.

Keep in mind that his Zimmer sound is not his only sound.

Great to see you've dropped the anonymous login BS, BTW. ;)

'The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!'

Hahaha yeah I don't know why I had that set, but I only noticed it when Jay posted a screenshot of the little user lineup at the bottom of the screen.

So over a period of three months about 100 musicians, more if JW uses a choir will be housed in expensive London hotels?

Yeah right.....

They could just use the British equivalent of a Motel 8.

They could get a cheap package deal for poor musicians.

Could JW get certain LSO members that have experience with the prequel scores to be part of a freelance LA orchestra? Guessing not...

What in Jove's name would that bring to the table? It would sound ABSOLUTELY the same!

Could JW get certain LSO members that have experience with the prequel scores to be part of a freelance LA orchestra? Guessing not...

What in Jove's name would that bring to the table? It would sound ABSOLUTELY the same!

More versatility?

His JNH stuff is 2000s Williamsy (though Shawn Murphy had a hand in LITW, it's kind of a mess in general with him, Meyerson, and Iwataki involved to one degree or another) - there's a fair amount of room, but it still gets vicious. Kong is probably the "punchiest." Actually the first Pirates is pretty dry too.

KING KONG aside (and only a just), and I'm not really a fan. Doesn't help that I hate Doyle's ROTPOTA with a passion. :lol:

I'm hoping this is recorded at Sony. There was a thread on vi-control today that reminded me of the whispers from a few months ago that the stage was gonna be shut down. Committing all future Star Wars films to be recorded there would be a very nice step towards bouncing back. We don't need more scoring stages going the way of the late great Todd-AO.

There was a thread on vi-control today that reminded me of the whispers from a few months ago that the stage was gonna be shut down.

Wouldn't that be an even bigger disaster than the closure of the Todd-AO scoring stage?

The AFM is really happy about this, they had a blurb about it in the president's email out to the union last week. Talked about the amount of wages and benefits it's bringing in and all. Cool stuff.

Yes, I do. And so do you, I'm sure.

There was a thread on vi-control today that reminded me of the whispers from a few months ago that the stage was gonna be shut down.

Wouldn't that be an even bigger disaster than the closure of the Todd-AO scoring stage?

Well, as Todd-AO's closing left us with two "big" stages and Sony's closing would leave only one, I guess so, yeah.

By orchestrating it himself, Williams is deliberately limiting the number of collaborators to minimise the risk of someone leaking the sessions. He'll probably handle the recording himself, too, and perform most of them instruments.

What would you guys think of the score being recorded at Skywalker Sound? I think the Star Wars Trilogy album recorded there sounds lovely - somewhat dry, but not all too barren as dry recordings tend to be.

I've been suspicious of that ever since the re-recording of the original Halo score that was done for the 10th anniversary restoration. Sure, it's the victim of some awful engineering, but the room itself isn't to my taste at all either. But if they want something like the original 77 score with the room sounding like it's going to explode from more sonic pressure than it can handle, that's the place.

Hmm, that might have been more of a problem caused by Williams suggesting Tomlinson to overdrive the in-studio amplification, causing the recording to be clipped in some places (e.g. the trumpet section in THE DESTRUCTION OF ALDERAAN).

So much more versatile than the LA musicians, that's for sure!

Maurice Murphy was a legend. Very sad he died but he had a very specific sound...the LSO trumpet sound. Incredible range and virtuosity that even left his LSO peers in awe.

and in a more familiar idiom:

(does anyone know what the cue is at 0:38?)