London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

The LSO has been doing classical, film music, pop, rock and whatnot for DECADES. How can you NOT acknowledge this?!?

But the LSO is a concert orchestra. They generally perform a (extensive) standard repertoire, and also do side projects like film scores, pop/rock stuff etc.

But the LA players are collection of recording artists. They don't have a repertoire (not in their job as recording artists at least - they do if they also play in a regular orchestra). They literally perform entirely new works every day, and never again once they've recorded them. The sheer output must be considerably higher than that of any concert orchestra. And the styles, naturally, go across the entire spectrum, even more so than film scores themselves already do.

The LSO has been doing classical, film music, pop, rock and whatnot for DECADES. How can you NOT acknowledge this?!?

But the LSO is a concert orchestra. They generally perform a (extensive) standard repertoire, and also do side projects like film scores, pop/rock stuff etc.

But the LA players are collection of recording artists. They don't have a repertoire (not in their job as recording artists at least - they do if they also play in a regular orchestra). They literally perform entirely new works every day, and never again once they've recorded them. The sheer output must be considerably higher than that of any concert orchestra. And the styles, naturally, go across the entire spectrum, even more so than film scores themselves already do.

I never denied that these musicians existed in LA. In fact, I've acknowledged this point several times. My point was that -- as a versatile group -- they cannot compete with the LSO. In fact, I don't believe any orchestra in the world can, whether pick-up or otherwise. Certainly not when it comes excellence WITHIN said versatility!

The HSS is not a "pick-up" orchestra.

Obviously there is some deep and profound discussion around the corner on the true definition of "versatility" and "excellence WITHIN said versatility" so I'm outta here.

Hey, just because a violinist can do tango, folk music and metal riffs doesn't mean he can do them all equally well -- not to mention the string section as a whole. It's that second part of 'versatility' which everyone conveniently ignores.

As I said above....

Nowhere else in the world will you find a trumpet player who is equally at home playing a piccolo horn on some quasi-baroque score as playing rich romantic lines as screaming in the high register on a big band score. And this is true of every person who is on that roster.

No one is ignoring the quality with which they can do these things. They're excellent at it. The best.

That's another thing - the string section, all sections, are all basically made up of first chair players. Unlike the LSO where you have the standard graded sections with solo caliber and below.

OK, this begs for some clarification, and I hope I'll be able to provide some measure of it:

The LSO is one of the world's great orchestras, and certainly one of the most versatile.

The Hollywood Studio Symphony is an industry orchestra, and a rather different type of beast. It isn't primarily a concertizing orchestra, but a recording orchestra.

To compare the two in terms of versatility is challenging, simply because they serve largely different purposes.

Still, if you're looking for chops, sight-reading abilities and a sense stylistic variety, the Hollywood Studio Symphony specializes in exactly that, and offers an unparalleled expertise.

On a player-by-player basis, you're discussing some of the best performers in the world either way.

Both orchestras have a sense of identity, btw, and, as has been pointed out, the HSS is no mere pick-up orchestra, but consists of players who know each other, and are used to working as a team.

The main artistic difference might be more a question of each orchestra's "goal". The HSS doesn't have an artistic director, no chief conductor working ambitiously over time. Rather, they are perhaps the most technically proficient, stylistically fluent orchestra in the world.

It is important to remember that orchestral "identity" can change; members are replaced, artistic directors/chief conductors come and go. Some orchestras (Vienna and Berlin spring to mind) will have a certain sound, and might strive to cultivate and protect such a sound spanning several generations of members.

But in general, an orchestra is not something static, like, say, a rock group.

Finally, let me offer this:

Were I to record an album of my music,and had maybe 4 days in which to do it, and all of it would have to be rehearsed (sight-read), then recorded, I would go with the HSS.

If I, on the other hand, would be given the privilege of putting on a concert of my works with either one of them, I'd probably opt for the LSO.

Well said.

I think this point of their "goals" is particularly worthwhile. I expect a fully committed and enthusiastic performance of a score from the HSS as it is their job. It's what they do. With the LSO, or the VPO, or BPO, however... well, let's just say that I'd prepare myself for a reasonable amount of childish sniggering behind my back. Yes, that sort of elitist attitude is dying... yes, orchestras now are less persnickety than they were when they gave Bernstein a hard time for his choice of tempi... but still. I'd rather have people who are unreservedly interested in the job.

Thor just has a grudge against the LA musicians because their reuse fees have prevented so many scores from being complete and chronological.

:lol:

They've got a two-day head start, which is more than they need. LA musicians have friends in every town and county from here to Culver City. They play a dozen idioms, know every local style. They'll blend in, disappear, you'll never hear then again. With any luck, they've recorded the score already.

:lol: :lol:

They've got a two-day head start, which is more than they need. LA musicians have friends in every town and county from here to Culver City. They play a dozen idioms, know every local style. They'll blend in, disappear, you'll never hear then again. With any luck, they've recorded the score already.

382483420_santa_monica_street_musician_b

You didn't drag the poor LA musicians along did you?! They're not up to the challenge!

Got lost on their own recording stage eh?

While i am not remotely equipped to have an informed opinion on the matter i don't find the STAR WARS recordings (new or old) any more outstanding as ensemble job than stuff done in LA. The only thing i would agree about is that a certain lovely patina can be found in the playing / recording of the trumpet section of, say, the SUPERMAN march that indeed sounds different than later recordings (even by the LSO himself).

But all those things aside, i find it hard to believe that a lot of people here (anyone?) would be able to point out which orchestra is playing just by ear.

Uh does anyone here read music? Or even Gregorian neumes?

I can come over and read you some gregorian neumes, jackass!

;)

I guess the recording process for this score (several batches over multiple months) ruled out both

a) bringing the LSO to the US for recording sessions, multiple times in a year

b) JW flying over to London every couple of months in the span of half a year to record with them

Probably ended up with no choice but to go with JJ's post production process and stay in LA. On the plus side, he'll get plenty of time to re-record any cues from prior sessions which he feels can be improved (either their written form or a poor take).

Yesterday, Williams visited the LSO at the Walt Disney Hall in LA (they're touring all across the US) and made "a lovely speech" to them:

https://twitter.com/Maxinekwokadams/status/580565103763939328

Awww that was a lovely gesture. But in a way that was like JW going to meet an old dear friend. :)

Bah! He should be writing music in his study, I say!

The man has enough spare time for a day off to visit the LSO, but not for writing a score for his best friend's new motion picture!

Marcy and I visited the Walt Disney Hall when were were in LA in 2013 and it is an AWESOME building!

Very cool of J Dubs to visit the LSO while they are there.

I think the thread title should be modified now that it's confirmed

I edited the main post once this was confirmed, but I just went ahead and edited the thread title too.

So, he did contemplate using the LSO at some stage of the composition, but came to the realization that the months of scoring meant that the LSO was out of the window.