London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

I would only want the same LSO to record Episode 7 as the one that recorded Episodes 4 through 6. No new members, no substitutes, and not just some replacements who wear the same uniform. That's an inferior substitute and I want no part of it. Better to just pull the plug on this whole bum deal before people start embarrassing themselves.

Why?

Because the difference in quality between Hollywood studio orchestras and the LSO (and to a lesser extent other established orchestras vs a bunch of highly talented freelance musicians) is pretty extreme to me--particularly for technically challenging scores like SW where the ensemble benefits from being on the same wave length. Whereas I'm perfectly happy listening to a good non-JW conductor interpret the maestro's work (ala William Ross in CoS).

The difference in performance quality between something like "Chase Through Coruscant" and "Sir FRancis and the Unicorn", for instance, is massive IMO.

it's funny how the difference is "extreme" only to you, in a forum full of people who have been listening to JW's music for 30 years and can't tell the difference

Now JW conducted vs some other guy...that's usually obvious

I hear mixing differences in Episode 4 and 5 vs other Williams scores...not related to the performance

To say there is a difference isn't so wrong. But to say that the difference equals "one is better than the other" is.

Differences in conductor are immensely more obvious.

I guess he doesn't want to sound like LSO official spokesperson, as the official announcement will be made by them and/or LucasFilm. However, if 2+2 still equals 4, I think it's gonna be the LSO :)

You don't drop such a piece of news without being somehow legitimately allowed to do it by the powers that be.

You don't drop such a piece of news without being somehow legitimately allowed to do it by the powers that be.

Surprise! When I asked him if he could share more details he replied that he shouldn't have said anything since he certainly doesn't have any details or any insider info, and that he was going on the fact that the film is being produced entirely in the UK.

I guess that part goes out the window with the rest of the sentence

I sure hope he records it before working on that spy thriller

So, why would Mr. Pearson say all of that if wasn't true? Because it was produced in the UK? That's quite an assumption to make...

Where ever it's recorded, I just hope Williams conducts.

Nope, I don't think the LA musicians are any less talented. But I do think that an ensemble as a whole benefits from repeatedly rehearsing with the same members, in the same room, etc. A good orchestra should be more than the sum of its parts.

What makes you say that a first call LA session orchestra for an extremely anticipated JW score isn't more consistent than a London Symphony Orchestra with ringers? You have a truly romanticised notion of the industry that is not based on buy out reality.

The difference between the orchestras would be minimal. I think it unlikely that a Los Angeles studio orchestra for the prequels would have made much of a difference one way or the other. If it is easier on Williams not to travel, then he has earned the right not to travel. He will assemble his longtime collaborators in LA and it will sound great.

that being said, my favorite SW main title recording is with the more contemporary LSO on the Hollywood Sound album.

Four essential ingredients in a superior film score:

Superior writing, superior musicianship, superior conducting, and superior recording.

I can only take from the discussion, that these four ingredients are somehow threatened, by the potential lack of the JW/LSO combo.

JW not conducting is the only compromise I would never accept. His conducting is an intrinsic element of his creative ownership of the music.

The 'original' LSO no longer exists. Or at the very least, Maurice Murphy is no longer with us, meaning the 1st trumpet is fresh blood to SW anyway.

I know there are many other considerations but much of this depends just on JW's willingness to fly to UK to record the score.

Pretty silly to take Mr. Pearsons word as being the gospel.

Umm, yeah. He's a good chap and a very enthisuastic one about JW. But that's not likely to happen.

And if it does, I'll be occupying Abbey Road!

Karol

Pretty silly to take Mr. Pearsons word as being the gospel.

Umm, yeah. He's a good chap and a very enthisuastic one about JW. But that's not likely to happen.

And if it does, I'll be occupying Abbey Road!

Karol

I'll be there with you! :)

Pearson is a trusted fellow, he's not the kind of guy who drops rumors just for the sake of it. Maybe he heard something through the grapevine (he collaborated with the LSO for podcasts and videos) and thought it was solid enough to said it publicly.

I guess a final decision on this matter will be taken shortly, but it'll be announced through the official channels when all things are properly settled.

I'm confident that the actual Star Wars producers and directors know where and which orchestra already, as im sure it takes months of preparation.

Pearson is a trusted fellow, he's not the kind of guy who drops rumors just for the sake of it. Maybe he heard something through the grapevine (he collaborated with the LSO for podcasts and videos) and thought it was solid enough to said it publicly.

It wasn't a rumor, but an assumption. He confirmed in his email that he knows as much as we do.

This is the actual source for official news on the matter:

https://twitter.com/londonsymphony/with_replies

post-3-0-17555900-1425914261.jpg

Jeez..... the fact they've had someone tweet out a response so much makes me think they are in fact doing it!

I added a poll to this thread - vote away!

That's a despicable dismissal of the LA musicians' abilities and is almost certainly entirely psychological.

The sheer incompetence of the LA musicians has been so well documented, indy4 is just reciting the indisputable facts!

Totally forgot about this post from a year and a half ago

Its gonna be London

He's provided inside info before.