New DVD with John Williams conducting

Miguel Andrade

This is wonderful news! This year is just so full of JW releases in many forms. :)

Each year they should release a DVD/blu of that year's Symphony Hall and Tanglewoods JW concerts

WGBH/PBS have dozens of recorded shows from their Evening at Pops series -- actually, 30 years worth of shows, with Williams ones ranging from 1980 to 2004 (the shows cancellation year).

I know, but I've been going to the concerts since 2007, so I want to see those concerts again :P

But just imagine... all those concerts from 1980 t0 2004... it would be a treasure to have them available.

But I do understand how one can relate to watching again to an event that one attended to.

This relates to something I've been thinking about lately -- there should really be this massive John Williams Video Database, which assembled all the video footage of Williams over the years. You can find lots of stuff on Youtube and as DVD extras and stuff, but there's still so much more out there. It would be dozens, if not hundreds of hours of material. I imagine the Spielberg-shot recording sessions is a massive library all on its own. And the Pops shows.

• 6 years later...

This BluRay is on sale, 13 Euro, shipping costs are very low, also to US. I've never seen it, Williams conducts only a few parts and not his own music, but I suppose it's worth having. I was happy to buy it :)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Tanglewood-75th-Anniversary-Celebration/hnum/2441943