James Horner's Clear and Present Danger (New 2CD Intrada)

Trent B

ClearandPresentDangerR.jpg

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8098/.f

World premiere of complete soundtrack by James Horner from third film in popular series drawn from Tom Clancy's exciting Jack Ryan tales, starring Harrison Ford as CIA agent Ryan, fighting drug cartels in South America. Horner creates stirring main theme to anchor score, then surrounds with plethora of cues both wildly exciting, dramatically involved. One highlight out of many is incredible, lengthy "Ambush" sequence, one of Horner's most powerful action cues of all time. Interestingly, original CD release only offered half of score and omitted virtually all action sequences following "Second Hand Copter" sequence. All of them make their premiere here, including riveting climactic helicopter rescue scene ("Woodroom Finale") that introduces exciting new fanfare motifs embellishing rich version of main theme. Entire set mixed, edited and mastered from complete digital scoring session elements courtesy Paramount Pictures. James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

The Album
01. Main Title/Clear And Present Danger 5:24 Hear This Track
02. President's Mission 1:16
03. Jack's New Office 1:40 Hear This Track
04. Greer Signs Memo 0:47
05. Cortez Arrives In U.S. 1:13
06. Jack Briefs FBI/President 1:00
07. Operation Reciprocity 3:22 Hear This Track
08. Blow Up Narcotics Plane 1:59
09. Try Lindo Brand 1:23
10. Fire In The Hole 1:53
11. Moira's Fatal Phone Call 1:43
12. Ambush 9:53 Hear This Track
13. Casket Arrival 2:46
14. The Laser-Guided Missile 3:55
15. Jack Sees Bombing 0:59
16. Looking For Clues [Film Ending] 3:39
17. Cortez Is Watched 2:46
18. Greer's Last Hospital 1:43
19. Deleting The Evidence 4:43 Hear This Track
CD 1 Time: 53:00

01. Greer's Funeral/Betrayal 6:22
02. Chavez Sees Prisoners 1:30
03. Escobedo's New Friend Part 2 3:21 Hear This Track
04. Second Hand Copter 2:14
05. Rebuffed [Not In Film] 1:08
06. Escobedo's New Friend Part 1 1:40
07. Cortez Kills Escobedo 2:50 Hear This Track
08. Finding The Prisoners [Film Version] 1:27
09. Jack Creates Diversion 1:35 Hear This Track
10. Woodroom/Finale 4:35 Hear This Track
11. Escobedo's New Friend Part 3 2:02
12. Truth Needs A Soldier/End Title 5:48 Hear This Track
Total Album Time: 88:05

The Extras
13. Main Title/Clear And Present Danger [Album Version] 5:24
14. Looking For Clues [Album Ending] 3:28
15. Finding The Prisoners 1:27
Total Extras Time: 12:24
CD 2 Total Time: 45:38

Price: $24.99

This may be my favorite horner score from the 90's.

THE ROCKETEER

Oh my God, they so badly need to release that sucker complete--including all of the source music (I know there's more missing than this, but I badly want the Laughing Bandit music and the recording of "In a Sentimental Mood").

Yea, The Rocketeer complete is probably my #1 non-Williams holy grail now that jsut about everything else that had been on my grail list has come out....

Yea, The Rocketeer complete is probably my #1 non-Williams holy grail now that jsut about everything else that had been on my grail list has come out....

Indeed. Bring on The Rocketeer! :)

Excellent! This might be my number one Horner score. It has all of his trademarks but in good versions, plus it has The Ambush and many other highlights. Didn't see this coming at all!

Would this be a good purchase to a hesitant Horner fan? I haven't heard this score before.

It offers enough bang for your buck, it's a crossing of APOLLO 13, 48 HOURS/GORKY PARK with shades of ALIENS and several others, complete with panpipes, patriotic bugle calls and lots of Shostakovitch.

The showstopper is a 10-minute-piece that is truly impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSY2IxgQ-A

I had never heard it before, but clicked on "play all clips" on the Intrada page and was really impressed!

I've ordered it through Peter (Movie Music).

I hope Intrada is working on The Rocketeer ,that would be cool to own in complete form.

Main post has been updated with the 600x600 cover.

I didn't think Clear and Present Danger had this much music!

Has there ever been an expanded Willow?

There's a good chunk of music missing from the (already lengthy) album release of Willow - hopefully someone can expand it in due course.

There's a good chunk of music missing from the (already lengthy) album release of Willow - hopefully someone can expand it in due course.

Agreed! Willow is long over due for a complete release. I'm surprised Intrada or LLL hasn't jumped on it.

Another of Horner's I'd love in complete and remastered form is The Land Before Time.

**cough!* Lucasfilm *cough!*

If someone expands willow they need to split the cues into shorter ones.

Not sure if you can, Mark. Horner indended them this way.

Karol

Willow is long over due for a complete release. I'm surprised Intrada or LLL hasn't jumped on it.

The rights to Willow are owned by Lucasfilm, who so far have only opened their vaults to Sony and Concord

As Douglas Fake explains it in the liner notes, this release is justified by cues of the last part of the film (after Second Hand Copter) that were not included in the Milan album. We have to admit that one of them, Woodroom/Finale, which corresponds to the helicopter rescue scene, is really worth it. But do we have to limit the interest of this new album to this sole track? To answer that, let us have a closer look at the other extras on the two discs.

CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER: THE EXTRAS IN THE LINE OF FIRE

• 1 year later...
So, I haven't really seen any discussion of this release at all, really.

Who here has this, has listened to it, and likes it? What are your favorite new tracks, etc?

Any other comments?

This is one of my favourite James Horner soundtracks. Part of it is that this, together with Patriot Games, was one of the first scores of his that I got to know, so the 'borrowings' didn't (and still don't) bother me. Still, it's surely one of the most dynamic and varied scores of his, with a couple of great highlights. "The Ambush" in itself is probably his best build-up action cue he ever composed.

For me personally, I can't think of a better album Intrada put out in the last couple of years.

While a 2-CD expansion for a 90s film is normally a cause for celebration, here unfortunately it served the opposite effect for me. It made me realize just how derivative the score was from Horner's earlier works and the Khachaturian ballet. That being said, I still admire certain cues, and I do wish that the film version of "Ambush" was available outside of the film. Favorite cues are: Cortez Arrives In U.S., Fire In The Hole, Deleting The Evidence, Escobedo's New Friend Part 2, Cortez Kills Escobedo, and Main Title/Clear And Present Danger (Album Version).

What's different about the film version of The ambush compared to what's here?

Huh weird. I wonder why Intrada wouldn't have included that. Maybe Horner didn't want it.

(Holds up intrada CD) - "You don't.....have one of these do you Jack?"

"You a soundtrack fan, Mr Ryan? Try the intrada brand, I think you'll like it"

"The CD is still on, Moira"

I love Clear and Present Danger. I owned the Milan album for ages, but seeing the Intrada expansion released didn't make me hesitate to get it. Especially since a lot of the ending material was unavailable until now. It's one of Horner's most exciting scores from where I'm sitting. And I really like all the suspense underscore in between the more action packed cues.

The Ambush is bloody awesome but my favourite Horner action cue has always been Stealing the Enterprise.

A distinctly average 90's Horner action score with a surprisingly lackluster performance of the orchestra.

Save yourself the time and listen to Goldsmith's Universal Fanfare instead, for the same kinda buzz condensed into half a minute or so.

A distinctly average 90's Horner action score with a surprisingly lackluster performance of the orchestra.

Save yourself the time and listen to Goldsmith's Universal Fanfare instead, for the same kinda buzz condensed into half a minute or so.

For the most part I agree with the Dutchman. It works well in the film and some bits work well as stand alone listening but it is unlikely that I'd rush out to get this CD because I rarely listen to the earlier edition of it anyway. The same goes for Patriot games. Great in the film and some parts stand alone for listening outside of the film, but rarely does it get played. In the case of CAPD, the music for the great 'deleting the files' scene can essentially be found (in a better form) listening to music for a similar scene he scored for Brainstorm.

In the case of CAPD, the music for the great 'deleting the files' scene can essentially be found (in a better form) listening to music for a similar scene he scored for Brainstorm.

Which cue/scene in Brainstorm?