Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

2 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I think I may have listened to the samples before but I'm not sure.

If I had done then I don't remember being particularly impressed, and I was certainly disappointed with the score walking out of the cinema.

See BB! You completely misjudged him.

I remember freaking out when I first heard the samples for "Under Hill" and "Brass Buttons". That brief glimpse at those brass clusters oozed awesomness.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

So has your heart cooled from those times? What is left of your love now?

My heart is still with Shore, but it has hardened and grown numb by the errors of lesser men!

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2013 at 0:29 AM, Incanus said:

But it might be the same situation as some people were hearing the Fate of the Ring in the opening of the Moon Runes and Doug Adams refuted that as conincidence. Sounds somewhat the same but isn't.

This information proved useful to me, 4 years later.  Listening to the AUJ soundtrack right now, and that similarity suddenly just struck me and away I went searchin'!

Cheers.

I think Shore personally pushed for the LOTR CR's to be released, maybe he's not happy with the Hobbit Trilogy and isn't pushing for them to be released. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Which we otherwise weren't?

I was thinking it was more in reference to the piece "Thrice Welcome" or the section of the film that it accompanies.

Didn't @Jerry say he liked the piece previously?

Edit: oh, I get it, John.:lol:

On 18/02/2018 at 10:47 AM, Chen G. said:

I was thinking it was more in reference to the piece "Thrice Welcome" or the section of the film that it accompanies.

Didn't @Jerry say he liked the piece previously?

You have an excellent memory, Chen. I enjoy the piece very much. It sounds a little baroque to me, and I fancy it.

It sounds very baroque, indeed. That’s the point of the Laketown theme (as well as the Master’s). It’s also one of Howard Shore’s most memorable and hummable melodies, that’s for sure.

It also helps that this is one of the film’s most assured parts: it deliberately slows down to let us become somewhat invested in Laketown so we understand Bard’s objection to the quest. That's what I like about it: That the argument that is set up against our protagonist's conviction (and yes, the protagonist is Thorin) is not a strawman. How many adventure films undermine the very premise of the adventure, as this one does?

But than, to me, this film specifically is full of happy takeaways. Not only is it my favorite of the three, It’s also the only film out of the sextet that I often just want to watch and proceed pop-in; the others I typically only watch as part of a marathon viewing.

• 10 months later...

What do you mean?  It's at the end of the "A Spell of Concealment" OST track.  Maybe I don't understand exactly what you're asking?

The part that got used for Gandalf running around with Azog before finding Sauron syncs up wonderfully with the Gandalf-Necromancer duel before Sauron is revealed.

Ahhh.  It's been so long since I've seen the film I didn't remember what even happens in that scene

I think he sketched something out but who knows if it was ever recorded

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The part that got used for Gandalf running around with Azog before finding Sauron syncs up wonderfully with the Gandalf-Necromancer duel before Sauron is revealed.

Time stamp?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm lost

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Time stamp?

Better:

Pretty much all of it syncs up realy well actually, and I think it reacts to the cuts and events in a way consistent with how Shore scored the LotRs, with the unnoticeable flourishes, and the whole thing being a duel between Gandalf's motif and darker material.

I'm pretty sure it is meant for the scene it actually scored in the film: the confrontation with Azog and the chase immediately preceding the encounter with Sauron.

Huh.  This shows you how little I remember the film despite how much I love the score.  I don't even remember that scene

I'm pretty sure this music was intended like the video shows.  Why would Shore use a huge version of Sauron's theme for some Azog chase and not for the big Gandalf/Sauron confrontation like shown here?

I always assumed Bloodboal basically got everything right in these videos:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23483-the-hobbit-score-restored-unused-howard-shore-music-restored-to-picture/

Ahhh I understand everything now.  GK first asked about "the confrontation with Sauron" and I thought he meant the bit that his big theme syncs up to, like in both videos.

Whether the music before that part is for the Azog chase or the black and white battle.... surely @Jim Ware or @Doug Adams can pop in and say?

No, I mean the Dol Guldur stuff in order. Which would go something like

Spell Of Concealment beginning -> Gandalf Enters Dol Guldur mockup -> Thrain track as it is -> Spell Of Concealment second half

No, that's not right.  The chronological order of the DOS score is here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23304-howard-shores-the-desolation-of-smaug-hobbit-part-2/&do=findComment&comment=1067130

EDIT: Oh, you mean like making a mini-suite of JUST Dol Goldur music, skipping past scenes with other characters?  Not sure how well that would work musically nor if anyone else would have done that, but aren't you capable of doing that yourself?

You never know!

I had the thought of doing something similar for The Two Towers once; A playlist of all the Sam/Frodo/Gollum cues, a playlist of all the Three Hunters cues, etc... but I never got around to doing it.