Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

OK BB, make yourself Music Composed by Howard Shore. Orchestrated and Conducted by Conrad Pope custom cover. ;)

Oh, I will!

Remember to add "DoS recording process orchetrated by Peter Jackson"

Music performed by New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, NOT London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Karol

I still hope for Smaug's Song by Leonard Cohen. God knows he does smoke a lot.

Karol

Leonard... Nimoy!

Not if you do it correctly.

Music spotted by Howard Shore, Rejected by Peter Jackson.

Recorded by Victor.

Ham Sandwiches provided by Joleene B. Shmoe.

:lol:

It's much better than last year's cover, that's for sure.

Karol

What the James Bond-Bilbo didn't appeal to you? ;)

I liked the Special Edition cover very much. Only the European pressing with cheaper materials was my gripe.

Oh that would have been brilliant!

And yes, Mikko. SE cover was fine. I like simplicity. But, as much as I dislike the Bilbo cover, nothing beats the ugliness of this:

soundtrack_cover.jpg

or this

Fotrcd-cover.jpg

Karol

SE cover looked related to the CR design which was nice. And luckily we didn't get any of the cheap stuff Mikko got :)

And that second FotR cover is awful.

SE cover looked related to the CR design which was nice. And luckily we didn't get any of the cheap stuff Mikko got :)

And that second FotR cover is awful.

Be thankful the cheap cardboard version of the SE didn't get manufactured at your side of the Atlantic. I had to evacuate the CDs and leave the case on the shelf for show. :P

The later FotR cover was rather good (certainly better than the other one):

Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-

You've got to admit: it does feel weird to only have "Music Composed by Howard Shore" on the cover.

I was expecting "Conducted and Orchestrated by Conrad Pope" underneath but I guess well get that in the film credits. I feel like the guy deserves more credit for all his film music work.

Pope will be credited in the sleeve notes.

You've got to admit: it does feel weird to only have "Music Composed by Howard Shore" on the cover.

I was expecting "Conducted and Orchestrated by Conrad Pope" underneath but I guess well get that in the film credits. I feel like the guy deserves more credit for all his film music work.

Pope will be credited in the sleeve notes.

But only the hardcore score fan would care to read it.

That is the fate of orchestrators and conductors!

The most important credit goes on the cover, and that's the man who wrote the music. As much as we'd like to, you can't list every orchestrator, conductor, soloist, musician, etc on there...

The most important credit goes on the cover, and that's the man who wrote the music. As much as we'd like to, you can't list every orchestrator, conductor, soloist, musician, etc on there...

BB can try with his custom cover!

You sure you want all those ghostwriters, ambient designers, additional music composers, and dozens of orchestrators (not to mention programmers and additional orchestrators) in there, KK? ;)

Let's keep it simple. A lot of trees will thank us for that! Barrur-rum-rum, they'd say.

Karol

What are the chances of the four previous scores getting a release on vinyl? I'll definitely get this one but it would be nice to have them all.

Can't wait to see that abomina--, masterpiece. ;)

You sure you want all those ghostwriters, ambient designers, additional music composers, and dozens of orchestrators (not to mention programmers and additional orchestrators) in there, KK? ;)

Let's keep it simple. A lot of trees will thank us for that!

Karol

The conspiracy unmasked! BB's working on it ;)

Analogue sounds "warm" when it distorts, there's a certain charm to it and it can be a disirable effect in many cases. Digital sounds absolutely horrible when it distorts. In is not disierbale in any situation (just listen to Californication by the RHCP. Regardless of how you feel about the music, it just sounds nasty at higher volumes). In most of the cases that I've heard the vinyl is always better than the CD.

Lossless is better quality than a regualr CD (which I assumed you had been refering to).

BB is right, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Hmmm, I'm stumped at that one. I would assume the vinyl is still better but hard to tell the difference and it may be down to personal preference.

I don't know much about it when it comes to a score but a rock album tends to sound better on vinyl than CD.

BloodBoal is probably right though.

Well, that's his job to reassure people. He's not gonna say: "Everything is going wrong. The score sounds nothing like Shore's music!"

Were you reassured?